5 Speed Top Plate Shifter for a 40 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Did anyone end up doing 5 speed shifter setup for a 40 series ? I know there was a project on it but it seems to have vanished

I did one many years back, basically the H55f 5speed tranny comes from the vendor as a fj60 set up. The 40 top plate are hard to locate, anyhow, the shifter is on the opposite end. There are couple of items you have to purchase to convert it. I may still have the mechanical layout or diagram somewhere. If I can do the conversion anyone can.

Hello @BarnFab

hope this may help, this is what I did with my, 1982 bj40 using h55f transmission. Just move the two main holes and made a litter bump on front of the level shifter to accommodate the shape of the transmission.

1694698498527.jpeg

1694698734622.jpeg

1694698758358.jpeg

Do pre-1979 FJ40s need another Top Plate for the H55F box, or this is for both of them?

Do pre-1979 FJ40s need another Top Plate for the H55F box, or this is for both of them?
Hello, I am not an expert but pre 79 transmission tunnel are different, for what I see from other fj40 owner is that they accommodate a new late model top cover over the older

The right cover on the picture is a 82+ model which already have the bump on the cover to clear the space for the transmission.

1694700109753.png

Hello, I am not an expert but pre 79 transmission tunnel are different, for what I see from other fj40 owner is that they accommodate a new late model top cover over the older

The right cover on the picture is a 82+ model which already have the bump on the cover to clear the space for the transmission.

View attachment 3429123
Hi you are correct the rh one is the later cover, fairly hard to find.
But the 5 speed top will fit with about5mm clearance under the early floor cover.
You just have to bend the hi/lo stick to suit because the hole is further forward.

View attachment 3429123

The date change was 10/82 which is the start of the 83 model. Besides the clearance around the hump the crossmember under the transmission changed at the same time to improve the front driveshaft clearance. Transfer case further back move the crossmember farther away.
Another couple pictures of the 1/79-10/82 and the 10/82+.
IMG_2760.JPG
IMG_2768.JPG

10/82+ is the black one. Same as the five speed except for location of the transfer case opening. The red one is from 4/85-7/87 FJ60. Good option if using a 60 series H55F.
IMG_2759.JPG

What is harder to find than the 40 series top cover for the H55F is the lever for the transfer case.
IMG_2798.JPG
IMG_2800.JPG

I know lately some 40 series top covers were reproduced in Pakistan. These were up for sale. I know nothing more than what's posted on Mud. But a search should bring up the thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom