5.7 vortec, fuel injected, nv4500 five speed from a 3/4 ton chevy truck (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,
My name is Trevor and I'm new here. I have a few questions. I found a 78 FJ40 with the above mentioned motor conversion done to it and only 4300 mile on the motor. The truck is nice but the motor makes me nervous about buying the truck. Are they good conversions? Are they hard to work on, I wouldn't consider myself a motorhead, former carpenter by trade but not a mechanic per say. I live in southern New England, are there any others from this area that like to get together and teach a new guy. The present owner says it runs great but hard shifting into 3rd gear at times. I would like to buy the truck for a daily driver but the reliability makes me gunshy any words of advice or cautions about this motor set up?

Trevor

I put a '96 5.7l vortec and NV4500 in my '76 trail truck a couple of years ago. It's a great combination. The engine is no more difficult to work on than any 350. It has the electronic controls, of course, so it's a good idea to get the OEM manuals for the engine (truck) and a code reader. Don't be afraid of the electronics; it's always good to learn something new. You wouldn't shy away from a new car because of electronics; they're all electronically controlled now. Quality of the engine/drivetrain install is what you should look at. If all the little details look well done, that's a good sign. If all the little details look sloppy or poorly done, you might want to avoid it. That's the same advice I'd give concerning any modified truck.

Hard shifting of the tranny could be a concern, but they're not that difficult to rebuild and the parts are available on-line. The NV4500 requires a special synthetic lube oil and using dino oil will destroy the composite faces of the synchro rings in the trans. Some people are too cheap to run the proper oil. Sometimes the transmissions are rebuilt with cheaper brass synchro rings and I've heard that they shift harder. If you get serious about the truck, insist that the owner drain the tranny so you can look in the oil and a side-cover for debris. Bring a side-cover gasket. He can always strain the expensive oil and re-fill the trans through the shift cover.

Where are you in New England? I'm working in upstate NY for another few months. If you're nearby, I could probably look it over for you.

Hey guys,
My name is Trevor and I'm new here. I have a few questions. I found a 78 FJ40 with the above mentioned motor conversion done to it and only 4300 mile on the motor. The truck is nice but the motor makes me nervous about buying the truck. Are they good conversions? Are they hard to work on, I wouldn't consider myself a motorhead, former carpenter by trade but not a mechanic per say. I live in southern New England, are there any others from this area that like to get together and teach a new guy. The present owner says it runs great but hard shifting into 3rd gear at times. I would like to buy the truck for a daily driver but the reliability makes me gunshy any words of advice or cautions about this motor set up?

Trevor

Spotcruiser, i'm in Rhode Island. I would love to have someone go over it. Or at least have someone I could speak to as issues arise. I am capable but gun shy over lack of knowledge. I know that once familiar with the truck and figured out how to make or get quick repairs I'll love the truck. I have an 81 that in need of restoration, all stock. The original plan was to restore it way back when I bought it in "96" but life got in the way. Now when starting to map it's restoration I find this one and if I sell the 81 I could avoid all the big work and have a driver right away for a lot less cost. The current owner is the 3rd and hasn't really driven it much. He's experienced a fuel filter connected incorrectly, easy fix and a fuse issue. He also told me that the computer registers many items in operable but it's understandable going from modern to past. I like the motor in the 81, as I look at it , it makes sense and clear. These are some of my concerns. Any advice or opinions are welcome. I understand without seeing it it's hard to give advice so I'm looking for more info on the motor setup and fitting in the cruiserand that computer. I'm trying to read all I can on this site.

Currently in the middle of doing my second set of intake manifold gaskets on my Wife's suburban with the 5.7 vortec. These gaskets are suppose to fix the common problem with the vortec, but so was the last set. Have also replaced the fuel injection unit with the updated one. GM loves to use their customers as test bed for what works and what doesn't.

The Fel-Pro steel-rubber input manifold gaskets work great. Don't install another OEM plastic set. And yes, the injector update is the way to go.

Currently in the middle of doing my second set of intake manifold gaskets on my Wife's suburban with the 5.7 vortec. These gaskets are suppose to fix the common problem with the vortec, but so was the last set. Have also replaced the fuel injection unit with the updated one. GM loves to use their customers as test bed for what works and what doesn't.

That's what I've got, just can't figure out what was wrong with the design that worked for 40+ years.

Even the LS series engines are easy to work on and parts are readily aviliabil at any parts store. This is y I'm going with a 3/4 Chevy truck drivetrain because of the 6.0 and 4l85e trans. Then I'll have it tuned back to get better fuel milage.

I love my i6 and drivetrain but it's only good for off-road and lite on-road use. But after 40+ years it's hard for the original drivetrain to keep up with modern cars. Ie an original can barley keep up on the interstate let alone 70 or 75 speed limits even with 33-35 inch tires. It's really hard on our trucks. That's y many ppl are going to modern power in not only landcruisers but all classic cars
That's what I've got, just can't figure out what was wrong with the design that worked for 40+ years.

I don't think I'll be making it over to Rhode Island, Trevor, but if you have questions I can try to answer them.

Spotcruiser, i'm in Rhode Island. I would love to have someone go over it. Or at least have someone I could speak to as issues arise. I am capable but gun shy over lack of knowledge. I know that once familiar with the truck and figured out how to make or get quick repairs I'll love the truck. I have an 81 that in need of restoration, all stock. The original plan was to restore it way back when I bought it in "96" but life got in the way. Now when starting to map it's restoration I find this one and if I sell the 81 I could avoid all the big work and have a driver right away for a lot less cost. The current owner is the 3rd and hasn't really driven it much. He's experienced a fuel filter connected incorrectly, easy fix and a fuse issue. He also told me that the computer registers many items in operable but it's understandable going from modern to past. I like the motor in the 81, as I look at it , it makes sense and clear. These are some of my concerns. Any advice or opinions are welcome. I understand without seeing it it's hard to give advice so I'm looking for more info on the motor setup and fitting in the cruiserand that computer. I'm trying to read all I can on this site.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom