5.3 FJ62 Cold Air Intake Ideas (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Cruiser is in the shop for trip ready but will send pic of ecu. What I do know:

-GM E-Rod crate LC9 with all components out of 2014 Yukon new.
-Got home to Texas and deleted secondary 02 sensors
-Retune with new engine spec air sensor and confirmed intake setup correct GM engineering
-LS shop hooked up computer and downloaded GM performance file specific to the purchased engine
-Second shop LS shop confirmed download was correct all data was within tune from first shop with fuel, air short and long term fuel, temps and dyno performance were spec
-Both shops build all the GM engines and both talked to the GM hotline to get data for my setup. Both confirmed the program was correct for my setup. There was 1 TCB to the ECU but didn’t apply.
-Your #3 they did the setup reset when the switched from closed to open loop. Second shop confirmed the 1st shop had to correct.
-The issue with the closed loop and 02 sensors is the way it was tuned, closed loop is when I got to about 5k feet limped on me. The shop I ended up at in NM said the tune setup for closed loop with 4 sensors the map wouldn’t adjust. That the previous owner never knew this because he stayed at sea level. Why it ran rich, loaded everything up on plugs etc. and on and on.

I’m trying to be as transparent and above my pay grade at this point. I think my issues overall is I can’t get 1 shop to say we will fix this if we break the bank.

Gotcha. You have a E38. Now that you are writing all that out it is sounding like you took all the right steps... with all that that's above my knowledge as well. Not sure why it wouldn't work at elevation if it's a stock tune file, people drive their Silverado's and Tahoe's all over the place. Sorry you're having to go through that, it can be very frustrating. Most shops are reluctant to touch something built by someone else out of fear of being blamed for future issues - myself included

Gotcha. You have a E38. Now that you are writing all that out it is sounding like you took all the right steps... with all that that's above my knowledge as well. Not sure why it wouldn't work at elevation if it's a stock tune file, people drive their Silverado's and Tahoe's all over the place. Sorry you're having to go through that, it can be very frustrating. Most shops are reluctant to touch something built by someone else out of fear of being blamed for future issues - myself included
I think I had 2 things wrong at once. MAF was bad, closed tune with 1 bad sensor. But got home retune new MAF sensor and delete rear 02’s. So theory says it should be good.

The previous owner spent gobs of money chasing issues and this happened to him before. But they were so off base with their diagnosis it was hard to see what was up.

I forgot to tell you in the last month found 2 issues, found a toggle and chased it, they installed it to bypass so it’d pass smog, and the other I discovered last Saturday night (when I threw my tools across the garage), ready....2014 they swapped the engine and the i6 engine alternator power supply cable and plug was tucked into a harness that ran down under the fuel evap front left, they never tied it off or removed and had hot to it, mirror to look under to front of frame and the hot had been bouncing off the frame. So as you can imagine nothing past or present really counts as trouble shooting with power and resistance being disturbed when you hit a bump.

back to my other post I posted was about the fuel evap can that I discovered had been updated to new is when I found the old power under next to radiator, the other is the subject of this post about airflow box, that is where the harness began under the air filter. That’s how I found all this was messing with the air flow box and fuel evap can. That’s the rest of the story.

Previous owner wrote a $30k check to Top Line Performance in LA to be screwed with piss poor work. But we good now, lol. But Toyota guy has been briefed and understands it and was going to double check work, he just doesn’t do LS however as much money as I’ve paid him he’s going to check the work, though he can do the work he doesn’t mess with it because of crap like this.

I’m tired😬

I had a problem last month with my 5.3l giving me a bank 1 too lean code on and off. I had a hard time finding the problem. I searched everything as far as vacuum leaks. I then noticed a vac tube connected to my cold air intake tube. It had been connected just pass the MAS but was tucked under the tube. It had a cracked plastic hose fitting that was getting outside air that was not being measured that was causing the fault code. Sorry I don't know what the correct name for that hose is and I'm not too knowledgeable on theses engines. I'm throwing this out there on your earlier comment about the lean code.

This vacuum hose is connected to the passenger side metal hose fitting next to the manifold. Its funny that when I see other engine swaps they don't have this hose connected at time of picture. ^^^ NCFJ 's engine was not connected in his picture . I'm wondering which way they tend to hook it up. I'm actually looking for a cold air intake tube with this hose fitting welded on the tube along with the MAS connection fitting but have not found one I like yet. Do you have this hose connected or can you take a picture of the passenger side of the 90* connector that you have on post #6? I'm just wondering how or if you got it connected. Thanks.

I had a problem last month with my 5.3l giving me a bank 1 too lean code on and off. I had a hard time finding the problem. I searched everything as far as vacuum leaks. I then noticed a vac tube connected to my cold air intake tube. It had been connected just pass the MAS but was tucked under the tube. It had a cracked plastic hose fitting that was getting outside air that was not being measured that was causing the fault code. Sorry I don't know what the correct name for that hose is and I'm not too knowledgeable on theses engines. I'm throwing this out there on your earlier comment about the lean code.

This vacuum hose is connected to the passenger side metal hose fitting next to the manifold. Its funny that when I see other engine swaps they don't have this hose connected at time of picture. ^^^ NCFJ 's engine was not connected in his picture . I'm wondering which way they tend to hook it up. I'm actually looking for a cold air intake tube with this hose fitting welded on the tube along with the MAS connection fitting but have not found one I like yet. Do you have this hose connected or can you take a picture of the passenger side of the 90* connector that you have on post #6? I'm just wondering how or if you got it connected. Thanks.
Hey there, I know which one you’re talking about but mine only has the senor wires to the sensor. However after looking around online you can find all the pieces you need to build your own. While looking last night the have the 90 elbow coming out of front and also a section for the sensor and the tube connection that you need. I was able to order 3 pieces separate and just building my own for what I need. Amazon has most of what you need if not all. I don’t have a photo of the passenger side handy but when I get it back I need to take several pics with hood light for situations like this.

As for vacuum the guys check it all. Also none of the trends showed vacuum issues.

Hey there, I know which one you’re talking about but mine only has the senor wires to the sensor. However after looking around online you can find all the pieces you need to build your own. While looking last night the have the 90 elbow coming out of front and also a section for the sensor and the tube connection that you need. I was able to order 3 pieces separate and just building my own for what I need. Amazon has most of what you need if not all. I don’t have a photo of the passenger side handy but when I get it back I need to take several pics with hood light for situations like this.

As for vacuum the guys check it all. Also none of the trends showed vacuum issues.
MOOSUN 4 inch Cold Air Intake Black Tube + Heat Shield for 1999-2006 GMC/Chevy V8 4.8L/5.3L/6.0L Silverado 1500/2500/3500 Black Amazon product ASIN B082VH33Y4

MOOSUN 4 inch Cold Air Intake Black Tube + Heat Shield for 1999-2006 GMC/Chevy V8 4.8L/5.3L/6.0L Silverado 1500/2500/3500 Black Amazon product ASIN B082VH33Y4
Did you ever install this?

I had my truck on the dyno today with the 62 intake, and one of the takeaways was a more open air element would make a huge difference - notably above 4K it was suffering from air starvation

I’m partial to my 62 box because it keeps things very clean (mechanically and visually) but might be willing to experiment with a more traditional cold air intake to reap the benefits.

tempted to buy something like this and pipe it over to the fender to draw in cleaner air. Piping it backwards, parallel to the block means it just going to get the heat soak off the manifolds

I have a MAF installed on a GM air box setup and have never had a problem sea level to 10000 feet. I’ve read some other have problems with the SD MAP tune

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom