4x4Labs bumper swingout rattle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Do you have a picture by chance?

It's getting pretty squished, might need to replace the rubber chunk soon. :)

Little Stop.jpg

I can't get any glue to stay put. Maybe I need to try a more aggressive adhesive? What did you use?
Silicone glue for the silicone pad.

I keep meaning to glue my rubber bumper on the stop. After 10 years I still haven't. Yeah, it falls off on occasion when the swing outs are open, but they never do when closed and that all I need. The plus side is it is stupid easy to replace the rubber when it get worn out.

I tried various things where the latch sits and didn't have much luck. I ended up bolting a piece of delrin on either side of the stop so that the ends of the swingarms are very slightly lifted when latched. Has worked great.

I tried various things where the latch sits and didn't have much luck. I ended up bolting a piece of delrin on either side of the stop so that the ends of the swingarms are very slightly lifted when latched. Has worked great.

Do you think something like this could work?

On a side note, clearly this is an issue with a lot of people. This is probably the only issue I've seen or found with this bumper. I wonder why they don't address this when they manufacturer this thing??

I figured a picture was worth a 1000 words, so here's what I did. My main issue was the the left side was bouncing on the bumper over bumps, so the delrin keeps it from touching (hence the rust, which I need to take care of). Bumper is quiet now except if the gas cans rattle around.
IMG_0061.jpg

IMG_0060.jpg

My 4x4labs swingouts rattle over bumps etc. Is this something that can be adjusted in some way or has anyone added a rubber bumper of some sort? The rattle is due to a ~1/16th gap between the swingout at the “strike plate.”

I don’t have a pic or video, but it’s the same issue as this:

4x4 Labs rear bumper installed by Valley Hybrids 2021, rattles. I have eliminated everything but the spare and bumper. Rattle. Today I may have a different take on the problem. The pin that attaches to and is a part of the closing mechanism slides up and down, and there is a gap between it and where it rests within the bumper attachment. I will add a short video. Also I am working the above recommendations with respect to the touch point each swing arm meets center bumper as its worn to bare metal.

My 4x4 labs rear bumper would rattle and my slee rear also rattled.

I fixed the rattle on both by tightening the latch more. The latches should take some effort to close. Not hernia effort but a 10 year probably couldn't close mine.

My 4x4 labs rear bumper would rattle and my slee rear also rattled.

I fixed the rattle on both by tightening the latch more. The latches should take some effort to close. Not hernia effort but a 10 year probably couldn't close mine.
There is no flex or ease of use in the latch as it locks. Its tough to open and my leg and foot must close. That pin however is loose.

There is no flex or ease of use in the latch as it locks. Its tough to open and my leg and foot must close. That pin however is loose.
I was not happy with Luke's single swing arrangement. My opinion was that it was too light for a 37" spare banging thru rocky trails forever. His bumper IS plenty stout. So I built my own version of a single swing. I made a 1/4" thick pad of delren for the loose end of the swing to park on. I have the latch adjusted so I can just barely open it, and it is dead quiet. Put a soft spacer in there that is thick enough to add a little preload to the swing

I was not happy with Luke's single swing arrangement. My opinion was that it was too light for a 37" spare banging thru rocky trails forever. His bumper IS plenty stout. So I built my own version of a single swing. I made a 1/4" thick pad of delren for the loose end of the swing to park on. I have the latch adjusted so I can just barely open it, and it is dead quiet. Put a soft spacer in there that is thick enough to add a little preload to the swing
Pictures/measurements/more details? The rattle drives me crazy. Delta has this 100% figured out.

So does dissent. 👍
But he already has the Luke's. This is what I did. All from scratch. No plans or measurements. Notice there is a deck plate under the tire. It supports some weight and stability and it helps greatly in mount and dismount when your muddy 100 # tire is covered in cactus.

16547271120702045273751341555808.jpg

1654727151481417433277134044433.jpg

16547271779546566997375769947670.jpg

16547272081916354158074943307991.jpg

But he already has the Luke's. This is what I did. All from scratch. No plans or measurements. Notice there is a deck plate under the tire. It supports some weight and stability and it helps greatly in mount and dismount when your muddy 100 # tire is covered in cactus.

View attachment 3028863

View attachment 3028864

View attachment 3028865

View attachment 3028866
Impressive!! Good thoughtful solutions right there. The stability of that spare on bumpy roads is my only compliant and I run 35s. Can't imagine 37s.

Bumping an old bumper thread here! How did you all affix the rubber pieces? All the self adhesive options so far have worked themselves off within a few days.

I like @cnorm5623 idea. Do you have a picture? Do you think any type of plastic will work?

My challenge is that mine is so tight not many people can open or close it other than me...AND it still rattles a bit.

Thanks!!!
I had the same issue with self adhesive rubber. I used JB weld and it has been good to go for over a year now.

Smitty

I love everything about my 4x4 Labs rear bumper and dual swingout with the exception of the latch system. I had my doubts when I was putting my kit together but, out of a desire to get the thing done, I did not spend enough time redesigning the latch. Like others have found, I had a lot of rattle problems that drove me crazy. I too used a bit of rubber between the arms and the arm stop but it is merely a bandaid on a less than ideal latch design. At some point, I plan to tear it all back apart and rework it but given how much I spent on powdercoating, that won’t be for some time now.

Drill and tap a hole. Used a rubber cushion with a metal washer that is recessed below the top. Works like a champ and is easily replaced when/if it wears out.
1654866303172.png

Drill and tap a hole. Used a rubber cushion with a metal washer that is recessed below the top. Works like a champ and is easily replaced when/if it wears out. View attachment 3030107
How's the stability of your spare on trails? What size tire and do you run the 2nd swing?

I had the same issue with self adhesive rubber. I used JB weld and it has been good to go for over a year now.

Smitty
I just cut down some scap Delrin to size, then I kinda milled it down to almost the right thickness by using an X Y double axis clamp bolted onto drill press table. Used a belt sander for final thickness. Block is tapered on the approach side so arm does have to raise up about 0.020". I used 1/4 x 20 pan head bolts to secure it to the bumper. I countersank the heads just enough to clear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom