4x4Labs bumper swingout rattle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 4x4labs swingouts rattle over bumps etc. Is this something that can be adjusted in some way or has anyone added a rubber bumper of some sort? The rattle is due to a ~1/16th gap between the swingout at the “strike plate.”

I don’t have a pic or video, but it’s the same issue as this:

My 4x4labs swingouts rattle over bumps etc. Is this something that can be adjusted in some way or has anyone added a rubber bumper of some sort? The rattle is due to a ~1/16th gap between the swingout at the “strike plate.”

I don’t have a pic or video, but it’s the same issue as this:

The red area distorts so you have to tighten the green.

2F7527FC-43C7-43B9-B5E9-A83078025A79.png

it’s already so tight my wife can’t push it shut or open it.

Video sounds like the top of the spare carrier is bouncing around. Check/tighten the pivot bearing that holds the spare bracket onto the bumper.

Spindle nut loose?

I had the same issue, tried various methods. Finally cut up an old belt (clothing) and used it between the swing out and the bumper. Helped - some. A couple of weeks ago I was putting in new gears in the transfer case and decided to locate another rattle that had developed under the passenger side of the truck. Well, turns out the exhaust cushion failed at the cats. The rear cushion failed as well, more than likely when I cut off the resonator. Now that I have new cushions in, no more rattles. So, check your cushions before going any further.

I had the same issue, tried various methods. Finally cut up an old belt (clothing) and used it between the swing out and the bumper. Helped - some. A couple of weeks ago I was putting in new gears in the transfer case and decided to locate another rattle that had developed under the passenger side of the truck. Well, turns out the exhaust cushion failed at the cats. The rear cushion failed as well, more than likely when I cut off the resonator. Now that I have new cushions in, no more rattles. So, check your cushions before going any further.

I did the same thing on my bumper with a little piece of rubber. No more noise after more than 10 years.

I found I had to put a section of EPDM on under the latched area - it was bouncing up and down.... this is my second 4x4 labs rear but it's the same as it was 10 years ago.... I had to do the same thing back then... as my rear rails are cut now, this is my issue to work thru....

E

FYI, this was resolved by placing a small piece 1/16th thick rubber on on the swingout stop. All good and silent now.

I cut a small chunk of a truck-bed liner (~1/4" thick) and put it on the welded-on "stop" on the bumper. I drilled and tapped a small hole in the center to hold it on. That let me loosen the latch a little, so it operates much more smoothly--and no more rattles.

Bumping an old bumper thread here! How did you all affix the rubber pieces? All the self adhesive options so far have worked themselves off within a few days.

I like @cnorm5623 idea. Do you have a picture? Do you think any type of plastic will work?

My challenge is that mine is so tight not many people can open or close it other than me...AND it still rattles a bit.

Thanks!!!

Bumping an old bumper thread here! How did you all affix the rubber pieces? All the self adhesive options so far have worked themselves off within a few days.
I cut a small chunk of a truck-bed liner (~1/4" thick) and put it on the welded-on "stop" on the bumper. I drilled and tapped a small hole in the center to hold it on. That let me loosen the latch a little, so it operates much more smoothly--and no more rattles.

;)

I glued a silicone trivet from Walmart to my swingarm stop. It stopped all noise and after two years is beginning to break down. I will just rip off the old and cut out a new piece to install.

I glued a silicone trivet from Walmart to my swingarm stop. It stopped all noise and after two years is beginning to break down. I will just rip off the old and cut out a new piece to install.

I can't get any glue to stay put. Maybe I need to try a more aggressive adhesive? What did you use?

I like @cnorm5623 idea. Do you have a picture? Do you think any type of plastic will work?

My challenge is that mine is so tight not many people can open or close it other than me...AND it still rattles a bit.

Thanks!!!

I used 3m super weatherstrip adhesive on some EDPM roof membrane.

Amazon product ASIN B00063X38M

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom