4x4 w/o lockers vs 4x2 with rear lockers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Was wondering which one would actually perform better. Have a friend with Tacoma and is 4x2 with rear lockers. It seems to handle pretty well but not sure if it can go in areas where 4x4 is required.

the only reason to get a 4x2 is to Hack off the IFS and put on a solid axle..

there may be a couple of instances where a 4x2 with a locker can still move where a 4x4 will spin opposite tires, but you will normaly have 3 tires on the ground anyway..

I enabled the diff lock on my '98 4Runner to work in all ranges, and going up my steep dirt driveway in 2WD with the diff locked is a joke compared to 4WD without the diff lock. No comparison. The rear of the truck slewed back and forth and total traction was not the same.

I always wondered about that line I read in Four Wheeler years ago saying 'a 2WD with a locker can go most of the places a 4WD can'.

With a locked rear diff, you also lose steering control as the vehicle more-or-less wants to go whatever way the rear axle is facing, regardless of steering input. If you live in a mostly flat area and just need some extra traction a couple times a year, it might be adequate, but mountainous four wheeling and deep snow require 4WD, IMO.

Steve

Thanks for the input. It'll be interesting to see where he gets stuck. But I'm sure there will be some spots where he'll get out and it'll surprise everyone. But he's stuck with the Prerunner so has to make the best of it.

If you live in a mostly flat area and just need some extra traction a couple times a year, it might be adequate, but mountainous four wheeling and deep snow require 4WD, IMO.

Steve

I've been draging my feet on adding and arb locker to my 2wd tundra.. I'm in the flatlands on the coast:grinpimp:

Wouldn't it be better to sell the 2wd and get a 4wd?

I've heard this argument a few times before. I'd say the answer totally depends on the end use.. I bought it new, if I wanted 4x4 I would of got one back then. It's just the house truck.. tow boat, haul stuff to the dump, etc. It's been stuck a few times on wet grass.. so I figured It would not hurt to put in a locker. Your original question was it worth it to add a locker to your buddies truck... I'd say yes if that is his only choice.

About ten years ago I worked for a survey company that only had 4x2 trucks. Every truck was a base model 4x2 chebby 1500 short bed with a locker, and winch. We took those trucks through some gnarly swamps and etcetera, I never used the winch once in the 2 years I was there. Now there are no rocks or hills around here, so I could not comment on that type of terrain.

I've heard this argument a few times before. I'd say the answer totally depends on the end use.. I bought it new, if I wanted 4x4 I would of got one back then. It's just the house truck.. tow boat, haul stuff to the dump, etc. It's been stuck a few times on wet grass.. so I figured It would not hurt to put in a locker. Your original question was it worth it to add a locker to your buddies truck... I'd say yes if that is his only choice.

Instead of spending $$$$ on a locker set up, I think all you'd need is a good set of chains. Seems like your truck does fine most of the time, but needs some extra grip in some slick situations.

About ten years ago I worked for a survey company that only had 4x2 trucks. Every truck was a base model 4x2 chebby 1500 short bed with a locker, and winch. We took those trucks through some gnarly swamps and etcetera, I never used the winch once in the 2 years I was there. Now there are no rocks or hills around here, so I could not comment on that type of terrain.

Actually my friend already has rear lockers. I started this thread because I wasn't sure if he would be able to go where 4wd w/o lockers could go. I figure as long as one of the rear wheels are in contact with the ground he has a good chance of getting out. I don't think he would put in lockers if his truck didn't come with one. His truck sees dirt maybe once a year if that. I absolutely see your point about it depending on the end use. I used to have a Tundra that was 2wd and it did everything I needed it to. Never missed not having a 4wd.

I imagine some of this has to do with weight and traction. In a 2wd truck with a locker you lose traction, because your rear axle is unweighted. If you had a vehicle with 50/50 weight distribution I think it would be a much more fair comparison.

Ryan.

Since I've got lockers f/r and no power steering on my 40, I often run in 2LO and only engage the front axle(vaccuum actuated) when I start to lose traction or when I *know* I'm going to need it(long greasy hill climb, rock garden, etc...). I've found that on level ground that's muddy and rutted, a rear locker and swampers will get you pretty far before you need to have the front end pulling. However, any significant ascent usually requires me to engage the front end. I would image a steep downhill section would also suck in a 2wd with a locker.

Since I've got lockers f/r and no power steering on my 40, I often run in 2LO and only engage the front axle(vaccuum actuated) when I start to lose traction or when I *know* I'm going to need it(long greasy hill climb, rock garden, etc...). I've found that on level ground that's muddy and rutted, a rear locker and swampers will get you pretty far before you need to have the front end pulling. However, any significant ascent usually requires me to engage the front end. I would image a steep downhill section would also suck in a 2wd with a locker.

I agree,
You'll be surprised what enough weight over the rear tires and a rear locker can do. Is it as good as open diff 4x4... depends. I'm sure there are situations where it could be as good or work better, but I bet most of those situations would also change a couple yards down the trail where 4x4 would then work better.
Take it out and wheel it. Let him get tired of the 2wd and when he does he'll sell it and get a 4x4! :)
I drove a 2wd taco with a locker all over baja for years. There were always a few silt filled rutted out hills that I had trouble with, but made it up with a tug or some fat dudes standing on my rear bumper. Now I just walk up them without spilling my drink in 4x4 low.

In the desert terrain that I wheel in, it's not so much about the rear locker that gets Prerunners stuck, it's the lack of low range. At low speeds they just don't have the power to muscle over obstacles.

When bought my Tacoma it was a 4x2 "PreRunner" with the TRD e-Locker.

I wheeled it for 3 1/2 years in 2WD, and I surprised a lot of people with my capability, and 9 times out of 10, on moderate trails I was able to go everywhere the 4WD guys were going. Just like the old saying wheeling is 30% Rig, and 70% Driver.

I eventually did reach my limitations, and just this year I converted my PreRunner to 4WD, and put in an Inchworm crawler, and a bunch of other goodies. Even though I love my truck how it is now, if I had it to do over I would have bought a 4WD from the start.

If your friend is good at mechanic work, the conversion is not that difficult, and can be done for around $1,000 bucks (using OEM parts). If he can't do the work himself, it would not be worth his while to try to convert it, and he'd be better off trading for a 4WD. Here is my 4WD conversion: http://www.ultimateyota.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=26&topic=1964.msg18209#msg18209

In the mean time - he should not be afraid to wheel his truck if he's got proper tires, and some Off-Road experience, and another truck with a Recovery Strap. There will be some places and certain terrain where he won't do very well. Mud will not be his friend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom