4x4 Labs Rear 60 Bumper Install How-To with Photos (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Idaho Savage

GOLD Star
Threads
Hi All,

Well I'm happy to finally be able to contribute something to the 60 forum. As some of you know, I was lucky enough to purchase my 62 from a fellow Mudder and it's been great. Shortly after purchasing the truck, I contacted Luke at 4x4 Labs and changed my order from a 100 series rear to a 60 series rear--one day before it was supposed to ship. Luke was stoked as the 100s were back ordered, so he moved my 60 build to the front and I received it about 3 weeks later.

Anyhow, this is a lay-person's install with the photos I took and a few borrowed from Luke's DB file that helped. These bumpers do not come with directions but even this shade tree mechanic found it generally easy enough, though there were a few steps I wish I would have taken to save time which I'll share. This will be overkill for many of you but I'm hoping some find it helpful.

Here's the hardware in the box that ships with the bumper. Basically, the palate shows up with the bumper and swing arms already attached; bolt-on spare tire carrier; bolt-on ladder, and a box containing the rest of the hardware. The craftsmen ship was obvious upon inspection of the bumper, the paint and the hardware. I'll also note that all hardware was included which is always nice.

hardware.jpg

Step 1: Check that everything is in the box and your new bumper is ready to be assembled.

Step 2: Remove the tow hitch. I recommend dousing with PB Blaster or another penetrating oil, and letting it sit overnight. I felt very fortunate that mine came off without too much of a fight and no broken bolts, etc.

Step 3: Remove rear bumper. The bumper that was on my rig was a custom job of questionable beauty. Well-built but boxy and the hardware attaching it was not stock, so I don't know the size of the wrenches needed to remove stock bumpers. Anyhow, it had a lot of bolts and it took a good hour to get off. I doused these bolts with penetrating oil as well. Take care to clear any hitch wiring out of the way before wrangling the bumper off. This is what you're left with (if you look very closely, you'll see my cross member had some bonus c-channel welded to it to accommodate the custom box bumper--this was extra fun to cut and grind). Sorry for the bad photo--it was dark in my driveway.

crossmember2.jpg

Now the real fun begins.

Step 4: Remove the cross member, necessitating a total of four cuts--at the corners of the frame and further forward, where the diagonal channels meet the frame again. I found it easiest to cut the cross member using a cordless sawsall, cutting in sections to create access for more cuts. You'll definitely end up under the truck, making multiple approaches. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND A FULL FACE SHIELD! Metal will be flying. Here's a picture showing how i chose to cut access points to the primary cross member.

crossmember.access.cut.jpg

After these, I was better able to access the diagonal sections and make clean cuts. Ultimately, I had my wife hold the cross member as I made the final cut so that it didn't come down on me or get weird. Here was the result.

framecut1.jpg

And bam! No more crossmember. Yes, that's a custom gas tank of unusual proportions.

cross.member.removed.jpg

Continued in Next Post...

Last edited:
Step 5: Remove the furthest two rivets. I personally chose to grind them with a flap disk to create a flat surface on the inside, then drill a pilot hole, then drill a larger one through the rivet. This ultimately allowed me to pry the rivets out. Those Japanese rivets are stout! When you're done, you should have five holes in the furthest rear section of the frame:

rivets.removed.jpg

You can see the amount of work ahead of me to get the frame cleaned, smooth and prepped before I even think about sliding that beautiful bumper on. So I spent about an hour with a combination of sawsall, angle grinder/disc and angle grinder/flap disc to get everything smooth and clean. Unfortunately this is where my camera died but the good news is it's pretty easy going once you have the frame cleaned up. I cut off those overhanging remanents of the cross member and used the flap wheel to get the whole section down to a pretty clean picture.

Step 6 (Optional but recommended): Por15 that frame and apply penetrating oil to the body mount bolts by the rear wheel in preparation for the z-brackets). I took an extra step and applied POR 15 from the end of the frame all the way up to the second set of body mounts, both sides of the frame. I figured having no bumper was making for easy access, so I might as well give it hell. You should likely do something to protect all that steel you just exposed and while POR 15 is expensive, it's great peace of mind. I gave it three coats and let it dry for a full day. It was hard to the touch. Apply Blaster or whatever your preference to the bolts holding on the body mounts--there are two on the stud in succession and they'll both have to be removed. They will be stuck as hell most likely, so keep dousing and let that stuff work its magic.

Step 7 Slide the Bumper On: This is the best part--the part where you get to see how rad your new setup is going to look but also you will have a mind-blowing appreciation of the craftsmanship you paid for. Being a true dirt bag, I placed the bumper on a cooler with some 2x4's to get it close to the right height, just inches out from the frame rails. Using my tiny wife's help, we were able to lift it up and slide it right into the frame. It slid in perfectly--tight but it didn't require "force," just alternating pushing on either side until the five bolt holes in the bumper lined up with the five bolt holes in the frame. One of Luke's photos of an unwelded bumper but showing the bolt pattern.

bumper.bolted.jpeg

Step 8 Secret Sauce: Install Z-Brackets. This was the step I did last, which was a mistake. Go ahead and remove those bolts from the bottom of the body mounts that you so-nicely lubed up before. Be patient and work the bottom bolt off first--it's a 15mm. Then get the next one on the stud and the washer, too. Slide the Z-bracket on to the stud and hand tighten the bolt you just took off but only enough to keep the z-bracket from falling off the post---do not tighten, it needs to move during positioning. Luke's photo of z-bracket on stud:

Zbracket.jpg

Now the really fun part--Double check that the bumper is slid in and not in a position to fall off the frame. I would even thread a bolt through the driver side and passenger sides and hand tighten, just as a precaution. But keep it loose enough.

This part nearly killed me with effort. You'll need to position the z-bracket OVER the rear-quarter panels of the bumper, line up the hole in the bracket with that of the bumper and thread a bolt. This bracket keeps the bumper from knocking the pinch weld of your body while vibrating and to Luke's credit, it uses the rubber of the body mount to soften any movement. BUT, it requires some force to get it lined up. In my case, I had my 115lb wife to stand on the very end of the quarter-panel protector of the bumper to force the bumper down enough to slide that z-bracket in over the hole and thread a bolt. Sounds easy. I was not. I was able to do one by myself but had to enlist her help to get the other side. The secret sauce is that I'm thinking it'll be easier if you do this BEFORE bolting everything else up. I obviously don't know for sure, but that's how I'd try it if I did it again. Another of Luke's shots:

zbracketdone.jpeg

Step 9: Celebrate that victory and bolt that sucker on. Each side of the frame uses 7 bolts--five through the sides and two through the bottom. Seems like overkill but I really like it that way and trust me, when this sucker is bolted on, it ain't going anywhere. Remember to go back and also bolt up the z-brackets to the body mounts completely, putting those bolts back on and torquing down the bolts from the Z's to the bumper as well. Don't over torque the body mount bolts--your stud can break and you don't want that. Again, use the picture below to determine bolt direction on each side.
bumper.bolted.jpeg

Step 10: Step back, drink a cold beverage or two, and admire your work.

Step 11: Bolt on whatever accessories you chose--in my case, the spare tire carrier and the ladder. These combined took less than 10 minutes and were very, very easy after the rest of the process.

Step 12: Promptly announce that you need to test your vehicle and head up into the mountains for an overnight with some friends. Marvel at both the craftsmanship, ease of use and also the vibration-free setup you now have. Note that I didn't bother with the license plate bracket at this point--I was in a hurry to get outside.

20180828_214033.jpg

Overall, it was a pretty straight forward project, even for someone who has never cut a crossmember before. Just take your time, grind everything clean, paint it well, and be patient. In the end, you're guaranteed to be stoked on the final project. Please feel free to hit me with questions and sorry for the lack of pics in the middle of the project.

Last edited:
I'll grab some more pics of the truck and bumper details this evening.

Last edited:
This was helpful for my install, thanks.

I chose to chop/drill/punch out all the rivets and chop across the 4 welds to the frame, instead of cutting up the crossmember. Undoubtedly more work, but now I can bolt the factory crossmember back on in the future without any fuss.

And what is the answer to The Devil? Brute strength and stubbornness?
A long stroke air chisel ($150-180) and keep the chisel head sharp with a grinder wheel

A long stroke air chisel ($150-180) and keep the chisel head sharp with a grinder wheel
Thanks Dude. Does that mean I'm destroying the bumper? 'Cause that would make life WAAAAAAY easier!!

Bumping

I’m starting the rivet removal process to prep for my labs bumper install.

I have circled the section in question. Once I get these rivets removed (for a total of 5), will the bumper slide all the way back, or do I also need to cut the wing part of this body mount bracket?

Thanks

IMG_3196.jpeg

Bumping

I’m starting the rivet removal process to prep for my labs bumper install.

I have circled the section in question. Once I get these rivets removed (for a total of 5), will the bumper slide all the way back, or do I also need to cut the wing part of this body mount bracket?

Thanks

View attachment 3431196

I think you should grind it down. I didn’t grind mine all the way down and had some issues sliding the bumper on and aligning bolt holes. In hindsight, I would have ground them down flush like the OP did in his pic.

I guess I overlooked that simple detail, since it was in the photo at the top!

Step 5: Remove the furthest two rivets. I personally chose to grind them with a flap disk to create a flat surface on the inside, then drill a pilot hole, then drill a larger one through the rivet. This ultimately allowed me to pry the rivets out. Those Japanese rivets are stout! When you're done, you should have five holes in the furthest rear section of the frame:

View attachment 1777468

You can see the amount of work ahead of me to get the frame cleaned, smooth and prepped before I even think about sliding that beautiful bumper on. So I spent about an hour with a combination of sawsall, angle grinder/disc and angle grinder/flap disc to get everything smooth and clean. Unfortunately this is where my camera died but the good news is it's pretty easy going once you have the frame cleaned up. I cut off those overhanging remanents of the cross member and used the flap wheel to get the whole section down to a pretty clean picture.

Step 6 (Optional but recommended): Por15 that frame and apply penetrating oil to the body mount bolts by the rear wheel in preparation for the z-brackets). I took an extra step and applied POR 15 from the end of the frame all the way up to the second set of body mounts, both sides of the frame. I figured having no bumper was making for easy access, so I might as well give it hell. You should likely do something to protect all that steel you just exposed and while POR 15 is expensive, it's great peace of mind. I gave it three coats and let it dry for a full day. It was hard to the touch. Apply Blaster or whatever your preference to the bolts holding on the body mounts--there are two on the stud in succession and they'll both have to be removed. They will be stuck as hell most likely, so keep dousing and let that stuff work its magic.

Step 7 Slide the Bumper On: This is the best part--the part where you get to see how rad your new setup is going to look but also you will have a mind-blowing appreciation of the craftsmanship you paid for. Being a true dirt bag, I placed the bumper on a cooler with some 2x4's to get it close to the right height, just inches out from the frame rails. Using my tiny wife's help, we were able to lift it up and slide it right into the frame. It slid in perfectly--tight but it didn't require "force," just alternating pushing on either side until the five bolt holes in the bumper lined up with the five bolt holes in the frame. One of Luke's photos of an unwelded bumper but showing the bolt pattern.

View attachment 1777472

Step 8 Secret Sauce: Install Z-Brackets. This was the step I did last, which was a mistake. Go ahead and remove those bolts from the bottom of the body mounts that you so-nicely lubed up before. Be patient and work the bottom bolt off first--it's a 15mm. Then get the next one on the stud and the washer, too. Slide the Z-bracket on to the stud and hand tighten the bolt you just took off but only enough to keep the z-bracket from falling off the post---do not tighten, it needs to move during positioning. Luke's photo of z-bracket on stud:

View attachment 1777475

Now the really fun part--Double check that the bumper is slid in and not in a position to fall off the frame. I would even thread a bolt through the driver side and passenger sides and hand tighten, just as a precaution. But keep it loose enough.

This part nearly killed me with effort. You'll need to position the z-bracket OVER the rear-quarter panels of the bumper, line up the hole in the bracket with that of the bumper and thread a bolt. This bracket keeps the bumper from knocking the pinch weld of your body while vibrating and to Luke's credit, it uses the rubber of the body mount to soften any movement. BUT, it requires some force to get it lined up. In my case, I had my 115lb wife to stand on the very end of the quarter-panel protector of the bumper to force the bumper down enough to slide that z-bracket in over the hole and thread a bolt. Sounds easy. I was not. I was able to do one by myself but had to enlist her help to get the other side. The secret sauce is that I'm thinking it'll be easier if you do this BEFORE bolting everything else up. I obviously don't know for sure, but that's how I'd try it if I did it again. Another of Luke's shots:

View attachment 1777487

Step 9: Celebrate that victory and bolt that sucker on. Each side of the frame uses 7 bolts--five through the sides and two through the bottom. Seems like overkill but I really like it that way and trust me, when this sucker is bolted on, it ain't going anywhere. Remember to go back and also bolt up the z-brackets to the body mounts completely, putting those bolts back on and torquing down the bolts from the Z's to the bumper as well. Don't over torque the body mount bolts--your stud can break and you don't want that. Again, use the picture below to determine bolt direction on each side.
View attachment 1777472

Step 10: Step back, drink a cold beverage or two, and admire your work.

Step 11: Bolt on whatever accessories you chose--in my case, the spare tire carrier and the ladder. These combined took less than 10 minutes and were very, very easy after the rest of the process.

Step 12: Promptly announce that you need to test your vehicle and head up into the mountains for an overnight with some friends. Marvel at both the craftsmanship, ease of use and also the vibration-free setup you now have. Note that I didn't bother with the license plate bracket at this point--I was in a hurry to get outside.

View attachment 1777495

Overall, it was a pretty straight forward project, even for someone who has never cut a crossmember before. Just take your time, grind everything clean, paint it well, and be patient. In the end, you're guaranteed to be stoked on the final project. Please feel free to hit me with questions and sorry for the lack of pics in the middle of the project.
Bumping…

The Z bracket has a huge gap between the bumper and the bracket on my install. I only removed one but on the body mount. Do I also remove the body mount bushing? That seems to be the only way to get that Z bracket to go on the “inside” of the bumper wing….

Bumping…

The Z bracket has a huge gap between the bumper and the bracket on my install. I only removed one but on the body mount. Do I also remove the body mount bushing? That seems to be the only way to get that Z bracket to go on the “inside” of the bumper wing….

I have both bolts and the washer on the underside of the z bracket. I don’t think I could have gotten these on without someone helping. You really need someone pushing down on the wing.

IMG_5370.jpeg

The gap is large, so I bet it is a mission to get it in between that wing. Dang….

Thanks folks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom