4WD Transporter Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I need to build a car trailer to tow my bush truck around on. I want to keep it narrow, to make it a bit easier to tow. And i want to keep it pretty close to the ground so it isn't too tippy with a landcruiser on it

To keep it low and narrow, ill have the wheels under the deck but have the deck lower than the wheel height with guards you drive over, and instead of having a chequer plate deck ill just have angles going across so the mud just falls off, you don't see many trailers built like this so ill show some pictures of how i made mine

I started with a 2500kg braked tandem trailer kit:
DSCN2937.jpg

The 80 series is a bit tippy with almost half a ton of steel on the roof
DSCN2939.jpg

Into it
DSCN2941.jpg

DSCN2943.jpg

DSCN2946.jpg

DSCN2949.jpg

DSCN2948.jpg

DSCN2950.jpg

I was hoping to get all the steel work done in one week end but i got too thirsty sunday night so i gave up:beer:

The draw bar is 100x50x4mm
all the box section going up the guts of it is 100x50x3
the angle is 40x40x5
the axles are 50x50x5

I towed it home today, seems alright, stays nice and true at 100kmh. its easy the reverse.
DSCN2977.jpg

Chucked the truck on it.
DSCN2999.jpg

I put bits of timber under the front wheels because the arse end of the surf would lift off the ground and wonder off.

DSCN2985.jpg

Theres heaps of clearance
DSCN2989.jpg

Its lifted with 35"s so im pretty sure there will be enough clearance for a cruiser with no lift and small tyres.

Now i just need to make some ramps, plumb up the brakes and cut holes for the lights and run the wiring
My other 70 series isn't driving at the moment, so i don't have enough horsepower to take it for a drive with a vehicle on it

DSCN2994.jpg

Im going to take it on a few trips before i take it apart to get it galvanised. So i can change anything, without wrecking the galv.

Any idea of empty weight of the trailer? That design should haul about ANYTHING that you can fit on top of it.

Id say its between 7-800 kgs.

Yea, because of the way its made, with 6 lengths of box section going up the length of it, i could definitely have gone lighter with the material. But at least i know its strong, and im sure it will come in handy when i need to move some heavy sh*t around
Cheers

The trailer is still going mint. But i still haven't got around to galvanising it yet.
It tows way better with my new striped down truck on it, way heavier tongue weight. So there is no more terrifying death swaying. Ill still build a big steel tool box to bolt onto the draw bar...... eventually

DSCN3404.JPG

When i finally get it galvanised, ill take some more pictures
Cheers

Nice work. Tongue weight is definitely a concern with the axles centered like that, but understand why you did it that way.

nice. It's great that the raised fender design is essentially auto-centering for the carried truck. Probably never would fall off. Although it may be harder to get a truck on there without a running engine. I imagine you will put a good winch somewhere up front?

Nice work. Tongue weight is definitely a concern with the axles centered like that, but understand why you did it that way.
I think that might be why ive never seen a tandem trailer build like this, there always little single axle trailers used for towing small trucks like Suzuki's. When there is only one trailer wheel to drive over, the vehicle can be way further forward on the trailer.

nice. It's great that the raised fender design is essentially auto-centering for the carried truck. Probably never would fall off. Although it may be harder to get a truck on there without a running engine. I imagine you will put a good winch somewhere up front?

Yea, ive done it once, load a truck without a running engine. I used a 2 ton come-along, it takes a lot of pulling power. But i don't think ill bother mounting a winch, because hopefully when i come to need to load a non drive-able truck. ill be at a 4wd club meeting and everyone will have a winch able to load up my truck or ill be at home, where i have a come-along. Now that ive said that, im probably gunna get caught out some where. But if i get desprate im sure ill work out a way to tow a truck onto a trailer not attached to any thing, There are pleanty of ways to kill a horse....
Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom