4low grind (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
this is the first time I really did extreme offroad since I had the cruiser. pretty impressed w/ the torque in low compared to the heep I had before. However, I heard wined up in transfer case. Is this normal? The CDL engaged normally(blinked a few times then stayed lit).

Chris

Chris,
Do you have the CDL switch?? I'm not sure if what you describe as a "grind" could have been from the CDL not engaged (flashing lite) Low range engages CDL and dissables ABS.
After I insatlled my switch I excersise it often, and it engages right away.
Hope this helps :beer:

I have the CDL switch. It engaged fine w/o going into low. It blinked twice the stayed on and could tell by some wined up noise. It performed great, but noticed the wined up, especially when I put it into low. Heading back home and w/o CDL engaged it was normal no real wined up.
I am having wined up noise, another topic, assuming its my PS pump going bad which I am planning a rebuild soon.
Chris
94 LC

Humm ??? Mine does not flash, but if I engage it when the engine is not running, you can hear an actuator (electric motor type) sound when engaging?? I don't have an actual whine sound when in low range though?

Chris,

Flush the PS pump before rebuilding - procedure's in the manual and there was a thread on it within the last month. Likely you simply have some air in the lines if the fluid's original (fluid addtives would be shot, more susceptible to pump cavitation).

On the noise, I'm a little confused that you keep "hearing" something you describe as "wind up". Axle wind up is when something is locked and the axles that normally are on each end of an open differential (center, front or rear) are locked together and fight each other. This does not make noise, except for the sound of tires dragging as they fight each other.

So, you generally FEEL wind up, and you HEAR gear whine. Which is it?

Doug

Gee Doug, i dunno. I've seen C-Dan "wined up" and he made a lot of noise.

:D

-B-

Heh. Guess I'd whine too if you wound up my axle shaft. From what I hear, Cdan's got a couple bearings going out.

Doug

Funny,

First off, I don't like wine, it gives me a headache.

Second, I don't generaly whine.

Third, My bearings are fine.

Fourth, my vehicle does in fact suffer from a loose nut behind the wheel. :flipoff2:

:D

Unless he's referring to the traditional 4 low gear noise coming from the extra gear reduction in the T case?

Learning more about this Im finding the gear noise I described is normal.

Chris
94LC

Dunno, Alia - Chris decided to keep a better description of the noise to himself, but seems to have decided it's normal. So, guess it's normal.....

Doug

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom