4bt swap. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all. Since my f engine is going and I don't necessarily want to rebuild it. It's from 74 and i feel that it is not worth it. With gas prices going up a lot around where I live, it would also be better to have a more efficient engine. Having looked around I believe that a 4bt would be the best engine to fit my needs. I would like to know if any of you have done a swap and what you came across in the swap. What methods did you use to change the mounting points and what had to be done to the transmission.

Thanks.

RattleCan beat me to it.

I have one in my 70.... I love the engine but it's also a pain.

No room in the engine bay for the most part after install=battery In cab. It's also a pain in the ass to do any work on the engine....just changing filters is a pain.

need an adapter to run your trans I'd you keep it.

It's loud....but I like that. It doesn't rattle as much as I see others complain about it.

i have a 4bd2t swap (similar to 4bt)

If you want to go over 45 mph you need an over drive transmission. Since most transmission available have overdrives ranging from 27% to 40% you'll need to also adjust tire size to compensate.

I found my 2.5" HFS lift springs wanted to sag when i pulled out the SBC and put in the 4bd2t so i had to immediately buy new springs.

My 67 didn't have a fuel return line, you'll need to add one to your 74 if it doesn't have one.

I used roof flashing (similar to dynomat but cheaper) on both sides of my firewall and under my tunnel to drown out the noise.

I found 2 inch exhaust (what was on my SBC) worked well for keeping exhaust tones down and EGT's seem on par with people running 2.5-3". If i had a heavier vehicle this might have been an issue.

The better the motor mounts you use the less vibrations you'll feel in the cab. I used the mounts that came with the motor and have more vibration than most would like. My fj40 has been a daily driver for 4 plus years so I have no issues with the quirks that others might consider make a diesel 40 less driveable.

I had enough room in the engine bay for my battery and the alternator. That is it. I had to get a custom front drive shaft to help clear the oil pain even after major modification to it (oil pan still holds 2 gallons)

I used a remote mount oil filter. It's easier to change my oil filter and oil than it would be on a lawn mower.

I'm averaging 25mpg city, i got more recently on a free way but wasn't a long enough drive to get a good average. I have pretty long idle times every morning and I just found a leak on my fuel tank that i need to get repaired so it doesn't slosh fuel out when i have a full tank. I'm hoping to hit 30 on the highway once leak is done, idle times of @10 min each morning 5 days a week are also killing my averages, luckily my diesel sips fuel at idle compared to the v8. with my transmission and tire set up I hit 1900 rpms @65. EGT's are about 750 on flat ground. Have i mentioned it's nice to hit 300+ miles on a single tank of fuel in an fj40 and still have over a 1/4 tank to go?

Diesel here is @35 cents a gallon more than regular gasoline per gallon.

Last edited:
I'm sorry to reopening this thread. I'm planing to put old (1955) russion military GAZ69 on Rubicon body. I would also like to throw out the gasoline engine and swap it to 4BT. As I live in Europe (sorry for my english), getting all these parts is quite difficult and expensive from shipping point of view. Because of this I would like to ask few questions, as you guys are experience in this kind of things.
Do anyone of you have an experience with 4BT in JK (or TJ) Wrangler? Does the engine fit without any problems? I will use the car for expeditions and offroading. Does it have enaugh power? I love Cummins diesel engines for their bullet proof. Do you know what would be the Wranglers topspeed with original Rubicons transmission and axles?

Thank you guys and sorry again for my bad english, I hope you understand what I'm trying to say
Cheers
Rob

i am in the middle of put a 4bt in my 76 40. Going with a ranger OD and the stock 40 tranny/tc, twin batteries below the cargo area. This project has been dormant for a while, but am ready to jump back on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom