406 cruisers Official first trail ride May, 20th 2023- Pipestone (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
backcountryadventuretime.com
406 cruisers is going to the Ringing rocks!

(I WILL EDIT THIS FIRST PAGE AS WE UPDATE/CHANGE THE PLAN)

The Plan: I will be camping out in the Forest Service land just north of the trail. Access from the Whitehall side. There’s a fork in the road on Hay Canyon and a couple of miles up the road there is a nice clearing that can handle a few rigs. I will send a PIN to those who are interested in joining me.

(All Times and Convoy meets are tentative) I will update as people chime in

FRIDAY CONVOY MEETING LOCATION:

Albertsons Belgrade GAS STATION @ 6:30 PM – I will be grabbing groceries and gas and heading out to Whitehall.

SATURDAY CONVOY FROM BOZEMAN MEETING: TBD- If anyone wants to set this, please let me know. Usually leaving from Bozeman @ 9 is plenty of time to get to the start of the trail and meetup with everyone.

SATURDAY CONVOY LEAVING FROM MANHATTAN: Manhattan, MT Thriftway Super Store gas station (just off of I-90) and plan to leave no later then 8:45 am.

SATURDAY MEETING LOCATION: 10 AM : Start of the trailhead: 46.06753, -112.10652

Start of the trailhead: 46.06753, -112.10652 – This is where to Air down. This is the start of Hay Canyon Road.

We will be on Ham channel 146.460
GMRS radio Channel 7

All club rules apply, please come prepared. This is not a hard trail, there are bypasses for the “obstacles”.

Racing stripes from tree limbs are likely, you can experience scrapes on your side steps if they are factory and hang down, but only if you aren’t paying attention to where you are driving. There is a mild water crossing that shouldn’t give you much trouble. But it will likely bee deep enough to submerge both axels.

Stock Rigs are more than capable of doing this trail, there are just a couple of spots that you may touch rocks, but I’ve never seen anyone damage anything not intentionally.

Bring a Lunch, we should be all be off the trail and reach the Ringing Rocks by sometime midafternoon. Plenty of time to make it back to Bozeman for dinner. WE will have a lot of opportunities to stop and take pictures, watch the more adventurous people drive over the “obstacles”

I don’t want to discourage anyone who is new to 4x4, this is a very easy trail, you should not have any trouble. We are all a team and we will make sure you make it home just fine.

if YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS DONT BE AFRAID TO ASK! WERE ALL HERE TO HAVE FUN!

PLEASE RSVP: Please let me know if you plan on attending. This trail has the ability to facilitate many rigs, I’ve led groups as big as 20, but we may need to change plans to accommodate if a large number want to camp Friday night ETC.

There are a couple of people not on Mud that i added to list below:

ATTENDING:
@90WT - 40 series
@ttFJC - FJ Cruiser #13
@CCRider - LX 450
@DangBird - ??
Aaron's friend Andreas -Tundra
@mccracken - 60 series
@geo5 - 100 series
@406Camper - 3G Taco
@MonTexBB
@Tanaman
@MTsoul
@James Hartly

MAYBE:
@pigmony - 40 series
@YotaPaullie - 5g 4runner
@elkun1 - 40 series
Ashley - 80 series

WITH US IN SPIRIT:
@JohnnyOshow22 - LX 450

Pictures from the trail:
IMG_2118.jpg
IMG_2117.jpg
IMG_2116.jpg
IMG_2115.jpg

THIS IS A LINK TO THE THREAD FROM 2019 - last time I ran this trail ride. theres a like to more pictures ETC.

Last edited:
It's been a couple years since I ran that trail. I went the opposite direction though. I hope I can make it on the 20th.
ringing rocks stream.jpg

I’m in also and will plan to meet @ Albertsons…

If I get a dog barricade made in time Polly Russell and I may be in
We've got Bushwacker barriers in my LX and my wife's Subaru. They're available on Amazon, come in several sizes, are easy to install and remove, they don't rattle, and they keep the dogs where they are supposed to be. In the Subaru I can even leave the barrier in place when I fold the seats flat. Pretty good products.
Amazon product ASIN B0076BE458

Need more adventures up in the NW corner. Although we don't have as much 4x4 and exciting roads up this way.

For those of us who can't make it but want to check it out sometime, is the yellow highlighted path the bad ass way to go pictured above or is it the dashed line road that forks to the right? Or are you coming from the north?

1683579910899.png

Last edited:
It's actually to the north. I'm not sure what the yellow highlighted path is, but the dashed path that forks to the right is the main road that takes you to the Ringing Rocks. (It's pretty well signed.) It looks like the plan for this run will be to come in from the north, and that's probably the better way to go.

Yep. Run North to South. Start at Hay Canyon Road, coordinates in first post, connect to FS173, then Ringing Rocks, out on the yellow path as you show.

It's actually to the north. I'm not sure what the yellow highlighted path is, but the dashed path that forks to the right is the main road that takes you to the Ringing Rocks. (It's pretty well signed.) It looks like the plan for this run will be to come in from the north, and that's probably the better way to go.
Thanks for the info.
Yep. Run North to South. Start at Hay Canyon Road, coordinates in first post, connect to FS173, then Ringing Rocks, out on the yellow path as you show.
Bah my bad, I missed that. Wish I could join, will have to try and pass through later this year when I am in the area.

1683642609161.png

Going to work it out... down for maybe now.... will know more the Thursday before. Thanks for putting this together.

Thanks for the info.

Bah my bad, I missed that. Wish I could join, will have to try and pass through later this year when I am in the area.

View attachment 3318449
you can do this route either way. we just always start on the other side because thats where the decent not busy camping sites are. and its fun to end at the ringing rocks so those who wanna hang out can, and those who wanna jet back to town can get on their way.

you can do this route either way. we just always start on the other side because thats where the decent not busy camping sites are. and its fun to end at the ringing rocks so those who wanna hang out can, and those who wanna jet back to town can get on their way.
Good to know, thanks.

Maybe, we'll see. this season has been a major suck. Got in the fields 5 weeks late and getting further behind, last week broke a boom and welded it back together then while you guys were exchanging money and lies i was changing an oil pan gasket last saturday. Yesterday they had a sprocket explode on the leg that feeds the scale so shut down again till it shows up maybe today. at least it wasn't me that broke this time. I don't know if you guys have been looking at fields as you drive around but from 3 forks to townsend the winter kill is bad. it's much more widespread than that but that's my area. ag isn't rosy this spring. enough of my wineing, did i mention this spring is a major suck. hopefully i make it and catch up on all the gossip, Ron

Me and the fam are in for camping and trail ride.
We’ll probably depart BZN 4ish Friday 5/19, if anyone wants to leave town early, and can hold down the campsite if necessary.

New to the group- have read 406 Cruisers website &will bring required eqpt- done some trails before so not a complete newb but always willing to learn and participate.

Me and the fam are in for camping and trail ride.
We’ll probably depart BZN 4ish Friday 5/19, if anyone wants to leave town early, and can hold down the campsite if necessary.

New to the group- have read 406 Cruisers website &will bring required eqpt- done some trails before so not a complete newb but always willing to learn and participate.

The spot I have in mind for camping Friday night is dispersed camping. Its not really an established site, more of just an open spot with a fire circle if you know what I'm saying. If you show up early you can go to the GPS coordinates that I can send to you, but there kind of is no guarantee that it will be where we end up. there's a lot of options in the area.

Are you on HAM or the GMRS radios? when we reach the area this might be the easiest way for us to meet up.

These are my plans for the Friday night camp out...

head up the trail that starts at : -46.06753, -112.10652

turn right at this junction: 46.07204, -112.15215

follow the main established road until you see a pull out near this GPS location:

46.08981,-112.18015

View attachment 1996237

View attachment 1996238
These are the directions to the spot we camp out last time we did it as a club in 2019! Crazy how time flies

The spot I have in mind for camping Friday night is dispersed camping. Its not really an established site, more of just an open spot with a fire circle if you know what I'm saying. If you show up early you can go to the GPS coordinates that I can send to you, but there kind of is no guarantee that it will be where we end up. there's a lot of options in the area.

Are you on HAM or the GMRS radios? when we reach the area this might be the easiest way for us to meet up.
Yep that’s kind of what I was thinking re: camping, we can get in the vicinity of your Pin and post up depending on current occupancy. No problem if y’all end up elsewhere.

I have Gmrs and will monitor channel 7

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom