40 series H55F Installation into a late model FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Today 4 members of Olde North State Land Cruisers helped answer questions about installing the 40 SERIES H55F in a LATE MODEL 40 (may of 1980). This WAS NOT a 60 series 5 speed. In order to align the transmission and TC with the bellhousing it was necessary to loosen the motor mounts and raise the front of the motor. 1st....no modification was necessary to the OEM bellhousing. 2nd. If you plan on using the TC mounted parking brake you will need to modify or remove the OEM cross member. I plan on denting the crossmember tube so there will not be any risk of the parking brake housing hitting the tube if I am jostling things around. 3rd. The openings for the shifters in the transmission access panel will need to be moved rearward +/- 1 5/8s inch. There is no need to fabricate a "raised" section in the transmission access panel. 4th. There is no need for a body lift. And lastly. To use the transmission support and isolator you will need to weld a plate over the hole in the frame on each side. Again this was for the installation of a 40 Series H55F into a May of 1980 FJ40 with the original 2F.

IMG-0834.jpg

IMG-0835.jpg

IMG-0836.jpg

IMG-0837.jpg

IMG-0838.jpg

If you left the spacers in the front motor mounts that explains the clearance to the tunnel. Did the same thing in my 68 when I installed a four speed. Spacing the front motor mounts up everything behind the back motor mounts is lower. Further back the lower it will be. Thought you were going to use the transmission crossmember?

Can get you measurements from the later four speed and five speed inspection covers. Thought the four speeds holes were in the same location as earlier ones. Holes sizes changed for different boots. Five think only the difference from the four speed is transfer is further back. Uses the same boots.

IMG_2764.JPG

Think this is the a 4/85+ transfer case shift lever with the later 70 series shifter that moves between 2WD and 4WD. Four speed opening would probably work. The shift gate from the H55F doesn't work. I just order the shift gate from later 70 series that think might work. Should be able to check that out in a week or so. Until I actually get the five speed in my 79 would know if the wider gate will clear the tunnel.
IMG_20200219_141030884.jpg

I will be installing the transmission support and isolator. My bellhousing has supports on it but I still think that there is too much weight hanging from the 4 bolts into the bellhousing.
Everything is apart now. The motor will be shipped for rebuild shortly. The tub will gets its acid bath and the start of rust repair. The OEM transmission access panel is the access panel that I will modify. I believe that the white one, top left, in your photo to be an OEM cover. I have purchased the "fat" shifter canes for use with the 5 speed. I don't care for the thin canes.

I will be installing the transmission support and isolator. My bellhousing has supports on it but I still think that there is too much weight hanging from the 4 bolts into the bellhousing.
Everything is apart now. The motor will be shipped for rebuild shortly. The tub will gets its acid bath and the start of rust repair. The OEM transmission access panel is the access panel that I will modify. I believe that the white one, top left, in your photo to be an OEM cover. I have purchased the "fat" shifter canes for use with the 5 speed. I don't care for the thin canes.

I would like to see a couple pictures of how you install the cross member, Are there captured nuts in the frame for the L brackets? Also, can you share where you are getting the acid bath done? Is it in Fayetteville?

I would like to see a couple pictures of how you install the cross member, Are there captured nuts in the frame for the L brackets? Also, can you share where you are getting the acid bath done? Is it in Fayetteville?
There are not captured nuts in the frame. It will be a while before I do the final installation. I will post photos then. Carolina Chem Strip in Burlington is the closest place I could find. They work closely with the powder coating company located next to them.

There are not captured nuts in the frame. It will be a while before I do the final installation. I will post photos then.

I doubted Toyota changed the frame by 5/80 and was waiting for your answer. In the last week or so going thru photos seen some I had taken of my 3/82 frame and 3/79 frame. Posted this before but where the fixed front nuts go the pre 8/80 has a oval hole. 8/80 Toyota reduced that to a round hole filling in the back where the fixed nuts for the L bracket bolts to the frame. On the right side wiring harness, fuel tank line and brake lines also need to be rerouted away from the frame.

Not sure which direction I will take. Could fill in the holes and then install fixed nuts. Or make a plate will fixed nuts and insert thru the oval hole. Or have a crazy idea of getting a title for the 82 frame. Besides the fixed nuts the fuel tank skid plate and torque tube behind the transfer case have brackets to support the cable for the hand brake on the rear axle which I will be using

Thank you for the information. I think I will try to find a picture of the 8/80+ frame to see the mods I will need to make with my 73. I changed to the rear axle hand break already. I think it must be a BJ axle since the brake tube fitting is on the driver side of the axle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom