Builds 40 Guy Builds a 100 Series (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Gorgeous trail today, nothing hard, a little dusty but nice to get out with the boys and explore our local trails. It's nuts that this trail head is 30 minutes from our house.

Resized....jpg

The boys in the "memory maker"
Boys resized_edited-1.jpg

Would love to have a similar roof rack like yours.. Looks very slim

@implayaz9

Gamiviti is the way to go! @nakman is the man with the roof rack plan. Top notch kit.

The new kid on the block next to my Memory Maker.

DSC04399.JPG

Big Mod today...

:bounce:
IMG_0100.JPG

Front plate is easy, but a $5.00 mod is in order... start with a set of MagLite D cell battery size mounts from any local hardware store, and tape them up with some of 3M's VHB tape. Amazing stuff!
IMG_0095.JPG

Then head out to your fairlead and pop the two maglite holders onto the rollers.
IMG_0098.JPG

Press on your new vanity plate and enjoy another 5 minute mod.
IMG_0099.JPG

Big Mod today...

:bounce:

Front plate is easy, but a $5.00 mod is in order... start with a set of MagLite D cell battery size mounts from any local hardware store, and tape them up with some of 3M's VHB tape. Amazing stuff!

Then head out to your fairlead and pop the two maglite holders onto the rollers.

Press on your new vanity plate and enjoy another 5 minute mod.

This is clever. If I ever get that fix-it ticket, I'll look into doing this as well.

Had a blast in the snow with the family chopping down our Christmas tree! Had it up and decorated before dinner...

DSC04459 (2).JPG

She's a beaut' Clark.
DSC04469.JPG

Nice man. Looks like you're getting some good miles out of your 100. Mine is a bit sad right now, but hope to be remedying that soon.

Winters are for maintenance and summers are for wheelin'!

After my last snow wheelin' trip I saw my first ever drip on the garage floor. It was grey grease. A quick look showed I was slinging grease from my inboard CV boot. So I pulled it into the shop, and cleaned it up to find a nice new tear in the boot. No biggie, off to Mr. T and got a new reboot kit.

Here was the culprit, I couldn't see it until I cleaned it up.
IMG_0928.JPG

Pulled the axle out and started to clean the joint, didn't feel like breaking the whole thing down, this was just a reboot. Unfortunately at this point I decided to shoot myself in the eye with some break cleaner and wasn't wearing safety glasses... won't be doing that again anytime soon. 15 minutes later after flushing my eye in the shower I was back at it, luckily no worse for wear. I was spraying and the straw popped off (see pic) and the pressure sent some right at my face. Safety first.
QQAZ4934.JPG

I caught everything early enough that no wear had occurred due to lack of grease. Another good reason for post wheelin' vehicle inspections. I try to do this after every day of wheeling when on the trail. Bearings and cage looked great. Everything was super tight with no slop. Not bad for 333k miles.
IMG_0935.JPG

Got the boots set up, and the axle greased up with the two different greases Toyota provides... quick note is "thinner goes inner" for the correct weight of grease in the correct spot. I used @pfran42 worm gear hose clamps to seal this one up as I like the trail maintenance factor of being able to snug them up if they start to weep. Nice product.
IMG_0933.JPG

Upon popping it all back together I noticed a split upper control arm boot... this one was packed with grime and dirt encrusted grease... not good. After a thorough cleaning the ball and joint seem good to go so I ordered a new boot from TOYOTA and it should arrive mid week, so the 100 sits on jack stands until then.

Any tips on getting the mounting spring/ring on the boot without Toyota's SST? It looks like a 2-3 wrap slinky.

On to more fun stuff, I think I have finally dialed my GPS system in. I have been playing with Gaia for about a year now and it is a good app for off road navigation. This winter I have been really messing with the app and I am finally feeling like I have a handle on it for route planning and navigation (the summer will be proof of that or not ;) ).

I bought a cheap Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8.0 off eBay for about $50 bucks and stripped it of everything but some game for the kids and Gaia, I picked it due to the expandable memory slot for micro SD cards. This should allow me to run some larger maps for the area's I play in here in Western Montana and Wyoming.

Mounting it up was easy with some RAM Mount solutions (I bought most of it used on eBay but linked you to Amazon). I love their gear... I went with:
  • Dual Suction cup base LINK
  • 6" Dual Socket Arm LINK
  • RAM Mount for the Galaxy Tab A 8 LINK
Then I built a GPS mount for my Dual Electronics XGPS150A GPS Antenna... it works really, really well. Very accurate. I love it because it takes a non-serviced TAB or iPad and you don't need a cell connection to run the GPS. So when we are out in the boonies, the GPS is still tracking everything with zero service needed. It makes the tablet purchase much cheaper too.

I just bent some plastic I had laying around and attached the GPS antenna to piggy back the RAM mount. Now I can move it from Cruiser to Cruiser with nothing more than a dual USB plug for the cigarette lighter.

Started with some material and the parts...
IMG_0913.JPG

Here is the quick release cradle for the Samsung Tablet...
IMG_0915.JPG

I shaped a small plastic sheet to mount the antenna to...
IMG_0916.JPG

IMG_0918.JPG

IMG_0925.JPG

Final product... for less than $200 all in... tablet, mount, GPS antenna, Gaia Subscription, a few cables I have a portable, rock solid, VERY capable overland style GPS system that can get moved from Cruiser to cruiser or have the ability to hop in a friends ride.
IMG_0923.JPG

Final product... for less than $200 all in... tablet, mount, GPS antenna, Gaia Subscription, a few cables I have a portable, rock solid, VERY capable overland style GPS system that can get moved from Cruiser to cruiser or have the ability to hop in a friends ride.
View attachment 1872824

Awesome work. Please post back in a few months with follow up thoughts.

Can you post it mounted up with the tablet connected?

Can you post it mounted up with the tablet connected?

I second this! Would love to see it in action. Looks like a real nice setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom