4" spring under lift 66 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Wife got cancer 3.5 years ago so Chewy has been on hold.

FINALLY: Some pictures of Chewy lifted after all these years. 305 V8 1st member and all the rest is Toyota from 3 speed down, (other than the 4" lift).

Question: I just rebuilt the center arm last week because of too much play, but do you think I need to somehow lower the center arm, steering knuckle arm or lengthen brake lines?

IMG_1693.jpg
IMG_1697.jpg
IMG_1702.jpg
IMG_1701.jpg
IMG_1692.jpg

Last edited:
A pic of the steering linkage would help show us the angles, pics of brake lines/hoses would help too. Lots of pics but none show us what you are asking about...happy to help just need to see what you are asking about. :)

A pic of the steering linkage would help show us the angles, pics of brake lines/hoses would help too. Lots of pics but none show us what you are asking about...happy to help just need to see what you are asking about. :)
Going to take pictures. be back soon

I have a 4" lift.... did not have to do anything different to the steering

did not have to lengthen the front hose.... the rear I went with a longer line as I did have quite a bit of travel and it seemed to stretch the rear a lil to taut for my liking

I had my rear shaft lengthened a tad (mainly because i snapped a pinion and bent the shaft... but... i recall it being closer to the end at full droop and let it go for quite awhile... think i could have left it)

did you put the shim in the front?

You should adjust your centrrlink/drag link longer. The rod running from the center arm to the pass side tre. Your steering wheel is probably off center, and the 40 probably turns more to the left than the right. We'd probably have to see the brake lines. Also check the driveshaft and make sure the splines aren't exposed. You may want to check it full droop as someone else may have mentioned, to make sure it doesn't separate.

Full droop would have the least amount of spline visible. Full compression would have the most spline visible.

Are you sure it is a 1967. That reverse light on the driver rear looks like from a 1973 ? What is the frame number ?

4" lift springs do not require adjustment to center arm

Thanks for all the replies. Wife fighting cancer so sometimes it might take a minute. (getting better at this)

I have been driving the 40 for a few days and I like the lift (ballbuster Rough Country lift), brake lines were not an issue and so on.

One thing: I bought this rig 10ish years ago and its always been a bit squirrelly so I had the tire shop do some work. they replaced the Center Arm, at least I think thats what its called: The part connected to the frame on driver side that the linkage from pitman arm connects to. They did an alignment and greased up what was needed. Steers better, but still all over the road where I have to seriously focus with both hands while driving. (This is manual steering and it has 3"-ish of play)

Thoughts?

Thanks for all the replies. Wife fighting cancer so sometimes it might take a minute. (getting better at this)

I have been driving the 40 for a few days and I like the lift (ballbuster Rough Country lift), brake lines were not an issue and so on.

One thing: I bought this rig 10ish years ago and its always been a bit squirrelly so I had the tire shop do some work. they replaced the Center Arm, at least I think thats what its called: The part connected to the frame on driver side that the linkage from pitman arm connects to. They did an alignment and greased up what was needed. Steers better, but still all over the road where I have to seriously focus with both hands while driving. (This is manual steering and it has 3"-ish of play)

Thoughts?
Replace all the worn tie rod ends and learn about the manual steering box. This is your best chance at minimizing that steering play.
Did you lengthen your spring shackles at all? If so you also might need some caster shims.

Last edited:
The center link has a lot of adjustment to it and if it had been rebuilt or even replaced it may need a bit more adjustment

The drag link usually has play ... and it can be adjusted out as well

Look on mud for Marks @65swb45 “two penny trick” or just “penny trick”

I hear ya about the health stuff ... we are going thru a bit here ... it’s not fun and sucks too much time from Cruiser time

During the alignment, did they give you caster measurement? You mention it's all over the road. Is it twitchy? Does it feel like you are chasing it while making steering corrections? Usually adding a 4" lift and or longer shackles can alter caster in the negative direction. More positive caster will help keep the vehicle track more true. Steel wedges with fat end towards the frt of the vehicle can be added between the spring and the axle perch to get more positive caster. You do need to know what the current caster angle is to determine how much more caster you need.

Thoughts?

tire width ? - wider tires will wander more

when have the tie rod ends last been replaced ? - tightness of steering improves

when have the spring bushings last been replaced ? - overall ride becomes smoother

. . .
I hear ya about the health stuff ... we are going thru a bit here ... it’s not fun and sucks too much time from Cruiser time

sorry to hear :frown:

tire width ? - wider tires will wander more

when have the tie rod ends last been replaced ? - tightness of steering improves

when have the spring bushings last been replaced ? - overall ride becomes smoother
Shop says Tie rod ends are ok and it have new springs/bushings

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom