4- speed transmission and Transfercase (1 Viewer)

Do I rebuild them or replace them?
what kind of lifespan do they have between rebuilds? the transfer case needs to be rebuilt due to a bad driveline taking out the bearings, and the throw out bearing has gone out. while I have the transmission out should I throw it away, or replace some bearings and reinstall it. I've seen the rebuild kits for the transfer case for $150 approx. but it seems you need a idler shaft also, or is that included in the kit?
Would I be happier trying to find a 700r4 or a sm465 the transmission seems to be in pretty good shape, but there's a clunk that I'm hoping is just because the transfer case is worn out.
what do I do.
this thing isn't a daily driver or a hardcore wheeler, so I'm leaning towards the transfercase rebuild and just replacing the front bearings on the transmission, but is this a bad idea. the cruiser has about 67k miles on it.

Rebuild the transfer case if it needs it. The idler shaft is included in the kits I have seen. IMHO, the tranny isn't worth rebuilding because it is a PITA. Wear on the output shaft splines of the tranny can cause a "klunk", but 67k ins't enough miles to expect that type of wear. Just get another good used tranny if yours is shot.

I think the transmission is probably ok, I have a friend that has a transmission and transfercase out of a 86 pickup with the 22R, is this a decent five speed, and will it hold up. Can I bolt up the cruiser transfer case, or just get a centered axle?

Colorado Boy-74-FJ40

I may grow older but I refuse to grow up!

Hey, FoYoChe, Is your avatar the Suburban Chevrolet "Trunk Monkey" logo? I bought a car there and a friend of mine is the new car sales Manager

rusty_tlc

Dain Bramaged Member

FoYoChe said:
I think the transmission is probably ok, I have a friend that has a transmission and transfercase out of a 86 pickup with the 22R, is this a decent five speed, and will it hold up. Can I bolt up the cruiser transfer case, or just get a centered axle?
Re-building a t-case is pretty easy. I did it and I have very little automotive experience.

I'm not worried about the difficulty of rebuilding it, I'm worried about wasting 150 dollars that could be spent on a better option. would the 86 five speed and transfer case hold up? if so I have a 9" I can put in the back for a centered rear, and gain a spool, as well as overdrive. but are the pickup's strong enough to last behind a stock low power 350?

Poser

Oh...Durka Durka Durka.
s-Moderator
Supporting Vendor

FoYoChe said:

It is a fair five speed for the original application, but was not ever intended to be run behind a F or 2F...and is not something that I would even try and install...Get a Toyota H55 five speed if you want a five speed...

Good luck!

-Steve

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom