4 sp manual tranny temp sensor - is it possible? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.whiteriverlawncare.com
I am planning a tranny and t-case rebuild shortly down the road. thought i might check into a oil temp sensor while it is all out and apart.

is it possible to put on a tranny or t-case oil temp sensor? if so, what's the install location on each? or is it needed at all??

all the searching, I could only come up with auto-tranny sensor stuff.

thanks for the info. picts are always good if you have them.

jeff

I personally cant see a reason for one in a manual tranny. The temp is what kills an auto unit.

you would have to drill and tap a hole for a good location...

but really its a waste of your time to even worry about.

I don't know that it's a waste of your time, but it would be pretty low on my list.
If you are willing to loose the magnet that may or may not be in the plug you can drill and tap the center of the correct size bolt to replace the drain plug.

I don't know that it's a waste of your time, but it would be pretty low on my list.
If you are willing to loose the magnet that may or may not be in the plug you can drill and tap the center of the correct size bolt to replace the drain plug.

If i can toss 10k+ lbs behind my truck that weighs more than my cruiser with NV4500 and drive 1,000+ miles without ever even having to think about trans temps im sure the stock case in a cruiser that will never see loads as heavy will be perfectly fine.

if your tranny is getting warm enough to think about on a manual transmission cruiser then you should probably fix the leak it likely has or make sure you put fluid in it in the first place.

thats why i see it as a waste of time.

If i can toss 10k+ lbs behind my truck that weighs more than my cruiser with NV4500 and drive 1,000+ miles without ever even having to think about trans temps im sure the stock case in a cruiser that will never see loads as heavy will be perfectly fine.

if your tranny is getting warm enough to think about on a manual transmission cruiser then you should probably fix the leak it likely has or make sure you put fluid in it in the first place.

thats why i see it as a waste of time.

Agree

Disagree

No i totaly agree with his statement, but no need to tell him he needs to put fluid in his trans, he is not an idiot. He never said it was getting hot, he was just asking a question. If everyone listened to people when they tell them they are wasting their time we would be alot farther behind in about everyfield.

i wasnt saying he was low on fluid, i was saying IF his tranny was getting warm enough to think he needs a temp sensor it was likely due to low fluid from a leak, or that someone forgot fluid all together.

wasnt callin him out or anyone else was just giving a couple of reasons the temp may be high.

Yeah i know.... but the only way to know if his tranny is getting hot due to a leak or low fluid easily would be a gauge. I still say its useless but this is fun.

:idea:...or maybe it feels hot to the touch?

Guys, he never said his tranny was getting hot. He is in the process of doing a rebuild and while its down was wondering if there was a need for a temp unit. I think we have answered that under normal conditions its not needed.

I think it's a pretty common upgrade to put a tranny cooler on a Unimog manual tranny. Not sure why.

I don't see the need for a temp sensor on a Cruiser manual because you wouldn't know what to do with the info. How hot is too hot? That's well defined for auto's not so much for manuals.

Still it would be fun to point at the gauge say; "yeah that's the transmission temperature"

Still like any other mechanical thing, in general, lower operating temps will make the plastic seals last longer.

It is said that running a synthetic oil in the transmission can drop the operating temperature 30 degreesF. It would be interesting to do that experiment, and that would require a temp sensor, but the money might be better spent just installing the synthetic oil and forgetting the gauge.

lol, i said easily, who gets out after driving a little while and crawls under their truck to feel their trans?

Me. I just point my infrared thermometer at mine whenever I stop for gas on a road trip to check the temp along with the front and rear hubs and rear diff. No crawling necessary, just point and shoot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom