4 low slip (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

brownbear

Mod in Hibernation
Threads
Hi , I was out thrashing in the mountains today and I had a reoccuring problem of my transfer case slipping out of four low numerous times.

When It slips I am under load and in need of it. Also a time where 4 high will not work at all(hill climb, Can't get enough power in 4 high to even let the clutch out).

As it slips out into neutal I get a nice gear grinding sound.

Before I dig into it , is it possible my linkages need to be adjusted. I have never done that before. ????

Any imput on this problem would be good to hear...

oh ya and its a bJ60 with a 3b/h55f,

Thanks in advance guys.

My guess would be motor mounts.
Usually it slips out of gear (transmision) but it might knock you out of 4LO.
At least it's a simple check.

I go for the motot mount to ! Check the mount on the body... are they at the EXACT place ?

Raddcruiser sell them for at good price.

front output bearing t/case. the split case is notorious for this. the bearing has enough wear to allow the fine teeth of the mating color to jump out.
take your front driveshaft and move it up and down right at the t/case. if there is any movement at all, this could be your culprit...
make sure the front drive is disengaged for this test..
cheers

Before you go tearing the transfer apart, check the simple things first. There is a spring detent on the top of the case that keeps the high-low shifter fork in place. Check that this spring is not broken and that the cap is tight. IIRC this is where the spring cap is located:

fork_detent_spring.JPG

Dave

Beans,
have you ever seen a spring broken or the lock down loose?
i know i never have...
cheers

ok I will check those things. thanks for the ideas.

I will see if the imput shaft moves or not.

for that detent cap and spring, how do you acess it? is it thru the top or do I go under the car and use a mirror? I have had my boots off to insp linkage before. thats a pain in the butt job taking the boots off.

I'll let you know what I find. Gotta get fixed before the weekend.

how much work is it to change out that bearing Wayne? Can I do in-situ?

crushers said:
make sure the front drive is disengaged for this test..
cheers

when you say disengaged do you mean I have to disconnect the drive shaft, as in remove it? or unlocked hubs?

thanks

Check as mates says motor and tranny mount .. but if are OK, chech the linkages or can perform a cheap solution .. :D tie up the lever to the right side .. :D

crushers said:
Beans,
i know i never have...
cheers
I have but not the one pictured,the one on the side of the front drive case.I had a similar prob,in low4 under load I would loose all drive and there was a dredful grinding noise.No one could work out the prob.I found it 2 yrs later after a lot of holding 4x4 lever in place by hand.All I did to fix was place a washer between the plug and spring to tension the spring back to about original,the spring holds a ball bearing on the selector like a detent ball.

interesting, any idea as to why it broke? the spring itself has no wear points and there is no way it should have bound up at all. was the case disassembled and the spring got damaged during the reinstall?
cheers

crushers said:
Beans,
i know i never have...
cheers

I've seen one where the spring lost its tension. On one of my own the adjusting nut backed out and all it took was retightening it.

Dave

Any resolution?
A friend just called with the same symtoms.
I was wondering what you found.

no resolution yet, I plan to take the vehicle off the road for some fix ups in a weeks time. I have things like a turbo install to do(maybe) finish up the onboard air, fix some rust, paint the truck to protect it till from mr winter, and as well, rebuild the ujoints and companion shaft seals, possibly those items mentioned above.

if I find the problem I will definately post up. I am going to add tension to the detent spring no matter what anyhow. its a rare problem. hard to make it pop out. but did it few times in the wrong spots. so that made me upset :(

I had top replace that spring once also. It was not broken - just weak.

REgards

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom