4 banger LC, thoughts? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've driven Jeep's 2.4L turbo 4, worked great and drove great. At least as good as the 3.6 V6. Nothing inherently wrong with a 4-cyl turbo. It'll all depend on how it's executed.

325 hp and all that torque are plenty for the vehicle. Plenty to talk about, but ultimately whether I buy one or not will be dependent on how it drives.

Yeah, I'm sure they can tune it to any number they want. I've gotten 600+ hp out of a 4 banger turbo on a Civic. My question is the, how can I put it, the decrease in masculinity? I just don't want to drive a LC with a 4 banger. I was so excited for the news but can't see my self in a 4 banger or a hybrid.

I live up a long and steep canyon road, so I am excited for the MPG prospect. I get like 11 MPG on a tank currently if I only drive up and down the canyon.

Extended range would be great.

It has a little less power, but more torque than the 200.

Do we know the curb weight of the 250?

Probably just trying to keep cost down and slot it into its niche. I don’t mind it if production is at a reasonable rate so one can actually purchase it if desired. curiosity rising on what the next 4Runner will be.

At first, I was skeptical, but if you really think about it, some of the most reliable land cruisers ever were turbocharged, and additionally, Toyota are pioneers and leaders in hybrid technology. From what I heard from some reviews, the hybrid system is primarily to bring extra torque rather than gas gas mileage. Gas mileage is just a bonus.

They also chose to use nickel metal hydrate system instead of lithium ion for better reliability, even though it is a less efficient and heavier system.

I think if one part is gonna fail on the Land Cruiser, it probably won’t be the hybrid system.

27 MPG combined is the estimate. That is very good reason for it.

Also the hybrid might be able to be used to power a house during emergency. That it another good reason for hybrid.
Yea, the battery seems pretty big. That elevated block in the back is the battery (I think) and is the primary reason that the LC isn’t getting a 3rd row.

Last edited:
Turbos aren't new, and I would expect Toyota did their homework. If you're mad at the Turbo 4, blame CAFE Fuel Efficiency standards.
With those HP and Torque numbers, and a possible 27 mpg combined, it'll make a compelling case for many. I expect some crossover from Bronco/Wrangler Buyers tired of poor reliability. This will outsell the 200 series numbers significantly, as long as the Toyota dealers don't strangle them with markups.

I expect it to steal higher end 4runner buyers and lower end sequoia buyers, and maybe some lower end Lexus GX buyers as well as Land Cruiser enthusiasts

27 MPG combined is the estimate. That is very good reason for it.

Also the hybrid might be able to be used to power a house during emergency. That it another good reason for hybrid.
If they made it a hybrid but won't let you use the battery for external power that will be a huge miss. If you can use it to power stuff like your campsite then it starts to make more sense vs picking up a TRD 4Runner for the same price.

All I know is my seq TRD gets like 15 mpg so don’t get too excited about gas mileage with these turbo hybrids. The power however is wonderful any nothing like the NA v6 and v8s that are reliable but very slow.

Yeah, I'm sure they can tune it to any number they want. I've gotten 600+ hp out of a 4 banger turbo on a Civic. My question is the, how can I put it, the decrease in masculinity? I just don't want to drive a LC with a 4 banger. I was so excited for the news but can't see my self in a 4 banger or a hybrid.
Redefine masculinity a bit. Quiet strength.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom