4.7L V8 Reliability & High Mileage (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all, venturing over from the 40 section.

Looking to pick up a used 4th gen 4runner. Looking at a 2004 and 2006, both with the 4.7L V8. Generally speaking, how well do these engines do when they start to get up there in miles. One has 185k, the other 240k. Not looking for a long term hold, thinking 1-3 years then sell it. Both are well maintained, decently documented service on each rig up until about 120K then the records taper off, laziness I'd assume.

Just thought I'd ask the crowd here about the V8's longevity. I'm quite familiar with the 4.0 and 3.4L V6s, never owned a Toyota V8.

Thanks much,
Matt

Well, lets see... ran into a guy the other day with a 2003 Tundra. Beat to hell.. uses it as his work truck since day one of ownership new. Says all he has done to it is maintenance and tires. Original transmission and engine.. I could not tell the engine was even on (it was) His miles? 302,000. Toyota's V8's are sweet. I bought an '05 Tundra. They put that 4.7 into everything and I have never heard a bad thing about it. Timing belt changes are important as it is an interference motor. Look in the classifieds and see how many of them are up in the 200K range. Then try and find a decent one... Not so easy.. People dont let these go.

Yea. The 2004 has 240k on it. Drove it yesterday. Quiet, clean, responsive, no odd noises, no leaks, good smooth power, decent amount of maintenance records. Pretty impressed. What's not mentioned is of the second timing belt was done. First was at 113k. So assuming same owner, it may be due. Did see shiny gasket material and it looked like the front had been opened up recently which would suggest the second belt has been done. Not sure. Interior was pristine.

very solid engines--replacements are pretty easy to come by as well as they came in the sequoias, 4runners, tundras, and land cruisers...

The 3.4 V6 and 4.7 V8 are hands down the best motors ever made. I sold my first tundra with 307K on the clock. My biz partner has a Tundra that he drives every day with 430K on the clock, we got it with 90K on it and have only replaced the trans one time at 280K. All we do is regular maintenance. Hell it doesn't even leak or burn oil. I sold my 2nd Tundra with 340K on the clock and I just got a beater with 312K on the clock. My wife's Sequoia had 380K on it when we sold it to get her Sienna.

I picked up an '04 Tundra DC early this summer with 304k miles on it. It runs like a top. I have no worries and will not look back. I've seen several 4.7's with over 450k miles so i'm assuming it's got a lot of life left in it assuming I dont starve it of oil, etc.

Glad to hear the positive feedback. I pulled the trigger on the 04 4runner with 240k. It was a bargain! The interior was perfect, all the plastics fit together well an din good condition, seems like it only ever saw highway miles. Now stocking up on floor mats, new driver seat belt, and the parts to get rid of this 'double decker' system in the rear cargo area.

My 05 Tundra DC 4WD 4.7 V8 has 245,000+ miles and it's beyond bullet proof. I've had to replace my alternator once and everything else has been routine maintenance. It's very reliable and shows no signs of wavering.

I bought it. Full tune up and all fluids, timing belt, miscellaneous new weather stripping and interior refresh. Lots of road trips as it’s weekend only: now I’m at 256k. Runs great. Added a new double din CD player with Bluetooth for hands free calling too.

I have an 09 with 233k.

Got it with 160k and did timing belt....also did radiator/ heater core because previous owner put some non-Toyota radiator fluid in there.

Alternator and battery around 180k

Also a common problem is the AIPS which I did at a local mechanic, some folks bypass it entirely. Then about 2 months later it wouldn’t start, the AIPS replacement shorted out. It was covered under warranty.

Just last week, had a shudder at 30-40mph under light acceleration.

Dealer FLUSHED the trans (not drain and replace)....I was nervous but it is silky smooth once again.

Good word! The 04 just rolled over 270 something thousand. Maybe 277k, hard to recall. Very impressed. I did the full tranny flush too about 3k ago, well worth the extra effort even if just for peace of mind. I need to do the brakes and want to replace all the body mounts and front suspection/sway rubber and links. A full steering refresh so to speak. I think that’d tighten her up a lot. My best bud wants to do the Mojave road next spring, which means I need to install the lift I’ve had sitting in the garage for over a year (it’s the TRD FJ cruiser 6112 setup). And endless list really, and the 40 is sitting there in neglect.

Last edited:
4.7 is incredibly reliable. Sold my cruiser with 300k and the motor was strong as ever. A friend has a 2006 4Runner with well over 400k on the 4.7, never had an engine trouble.

Seeing as there is currently two 2007 Tundras with the 4.7 that have gone 1 million miles I’d say that engine is one of the most reliable engines ever fitted to a passenger vehicle.

2uzfe is top 3 best motors ever built. IMO. If you're on FB, there is a page called Toyota High Mileage club. You can post to their wall with questions or bragging posts about reliability and good luck with whatever model you have.

Id say 300-500k is VERY routine for these motors. 500k+ easy if someone with common sense took care of it somewhat. lol

I'll jump on the bandwagon as a 4.7 fan. We had a 2004 Sequioa, but 250k hard miles (towing, two teenage boys, etc,) and it never gave us a fit, except when we didn't change the spark plugs and they eventually (after 100k miles) came out of the truck taking the coil pack with them. We now have a 2007 and love the engine. Has anyone put one of these into an 80 series?

Good word! The 04 just rolled over 270 something thousand. Maybe 277k, hard to recall. Very impressed. I did the full tranny flush too about 3k ago, well worth the extra effort even if just for peace of mind. I need to do the brakes and want to replace all the body mounts and front suspection/sway rubber and links. A full steering refresh so to speak. I think that’d tighten her up a lot. My best bud wants to do the Mojave road next spring, which means I need to install the lift I’ve had sitting in the garage for over a year (it’s the TRD FJ cruiser 6112 setup). And endless list really, and the 40 is sitting there in neglect.
We are pretty much in the exact same boat. 02 tundra AC with 280K and a FJ40 that needs some love.

I have a 2UZ-FE with 213k on the clock. Besides a couple timing belts and oil/plugs, I've had to replace an ignition coil so far. *Knock on wood* it this thing keeps going.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom