4.7 V8 in a 93 p/u (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey i was wondering about this. When my 3.0 v6 decides to kick the bucket in my 93 p/u how hard would it be to put a 4.7 out of a tundra/seqouia back in it?

Is it even possible??

lunyou

lunyou said:
Hey i was wondering about this. When my 3.0 v6 decides to kick the bucket in my 93 p/u how hard would it be to put a 4.7 out of a tundra/seqouia back in it?

Is it even possible??

lunyou

Yes it's possible.
You have to change out the transmission.

But I wouldn't do it. The 3.4 is a simpler swap it bolts to the transmission, and you can buy a premade wiring harness so it's all plug and play.

I am currently doign the reserch for putting the 3.4 into my 91 4Runner.

well i thought about doing that but the 3.4 isn't that much better than the 3.0. Ive had both. The 3.4 was in a t100(i also totalled it out in a wreck), The 3.4 did sound better and it was a little bit more powerful but the 4.7 especially the 2005 version is a whole different beast.

I didn't know that the 3.4 would bolt directly to the transmission in my truck, that would make everything quite a bit easier. How close are the motor mounts to fitting the 3.0 motor mounts?

lunyou

Supra?
DSC_2112small.JPG

lunyou said:
well i thought about doing that but the 3.4 isn't that much better than the 3.0. Ive had both. The 3.4 was in a t100(i also totalled it out in a wreck), The 3.4 did sound better and it was a little bit more powerful but the 4.7 especially the 2005 version is a whole different beast.

I didn't know that the 3.4 would bolt directly to the transmission in my truck, that would make everything quite a bit easier. How close are the motor mounts to fitting the 3.0 motor mounts?

lunyou

Power wise the 3.4 is alot more powerful than the 3.0.
The T-100 is a big heavy truck. The 3.4 was probalby too small for the T100

Mechanically, it drops onto the motor mounts, and bolts to the transmission (wither auto or manual)

Electrically its very different. More work if you do the wiring yourself, but from what I gather from my research, and my LENGTHY talk woth Offroad Solutions about their wiring harness, they take most of the guesswork out of the swap.

check out www.offroadsolutions.com they have lots of info

-James

lunyou said:

HUH??? The 3.4 puts out over 190HP in the pickup, 183HP in the 4runner and is capable of over 310HP with the S/C and Gadgets fuel kit... The 3.0 is capable of about 180HP max, and it'll cost you the same as the S/C and fuel kit to get that little HP. There is no comparison - I've owned MANY of both.

lunyou

Use the 3.0 isolators on the 3.4 and it's a bolt in. If you have the R150, you're good to go. If you have the A340H auto, it's highly recommended that you work with TeamShiftPoint on a full rebuilt before throwing a ton of HP at that auto...

You can do the 4.7, but expect to spend between 5 and 10K on the swap.

lunyou said:
just curious how much power does the supra motor have compared to the 3.4 out of the t100

lunyou

How much do you wanna spend?

That one looks like a mostly stock 3.0 liter 2JZ-GTE
300 hp+ in stock trim.

2JZ's are known for being able to make NUTSO power.
There are Twin Turbo Supras out there with 800 hp with stock lower end.
1500hp is possible but you're looking at $30,000 in a motor.

Now if Toyota were to offer a 'G' head for the 5VZ...

lunyou said:
just curious how much power does the supra motor have compared to the 3.4 out of the t100

lunyou
well since im on a tight budget i think ill just stick with the cheaper motors. Though 800 HP in my little pickup would be "flippin sweet". I think something close to 200HP would be plenty. so i guess the 3.4 would be enough for me.

lunyou

lunyou said:
well since im on a tight budget i think ill just stick with the cheaper motors. Though 800 HP in my little pickup would be "flippin sweet". I think something close to 200HP would be plenty. so i guess the 3.4 would be enough for me.

lunyou

I keep talking myself in and out of doing the 3.4 swap.

On one hand, there is the ease and simplicity of keeping my 4Runner stock (3.0 v6). so I can have one Factoy service manual.

On the other hand, the added power, fuel economy, and reliability of the 3.4 seems appealing as well.

That said, the 3.0 in my 4runner MUST come out (bad rod knock)

my 3.0 is going to have to go sometime to I think i will start looking for a 3.4

thanks for the help guys.

lunyou

3.0 and 3.4 arent even in the same league. A t100 is a heavy truck and alot diff monster than a minitruck or 4runner! Have the 3.4 in the 4runner its nice! not real quick but decent considering gearing and the 4x4, etc.

options

What years of Toyota's do I want to look for? I am under the impression that the 3.4 is in more than just the T100. Is there a better year 3.4 for the conversion than another? I am dealing with a 93' 4Runner with the 3 point NO!!!
Thanks

i guess that any of the 3.4s are swappable. I would just find a low mileage tacoma, 4runner or t100. Not sure but i think maybe that the v6 tundras had this motor(not sure about that).

I just found an online junk yard site off of google and submitted what i was looking for and the next day i had over 15 people email me with information on what i wanted and the prices for the motor weren't that bad.

lunyou

TLCA_Paul said:

That is a 2JZ-GTE from a 93-98 Supra. Just looking at the picture...that is highly modified. Trust me, I owned one. That is running a semi-large single turbo. Also, I notice it has no MAF sensor....so it's running speed density. That thing is putting down some serious power. I'd guess 500rwhp+ is a certainty (can't say for sure without knowing the exact size of the turbo).

There is a guy on the supra forums with a early 90's toyota truck (blue) running a stock MKIV Supra engine with a large single turbo. Last time I looked, it was running 10.4's @ 128

2ndGenToyotaFan said:
You have to get a 5 speed 3.4 if you have a 5 speed, because the engines in the autos don't have room in the end of the crank for the pilot bearing.

That's an unconfirmed rumor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom