3rd time replacing leaky front axle seal with OEM. Why does it keep leaking ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Spent my evening tonight getting the CV out to get to the front left CV seal. It keeps leaking, and yes it is an OEM seal I bought from the Toyota dealer. Here is a picture. Is it too deep in? Do I just have a defective one? And Have I damaged it when I put a pry bar to the CV to pry out the CV?

What's the trick to not have it leak this time around? I've checked the breather and it's not blocked.

Here's a pic:

20190514_175710.jpg

20190514_175728.jpg

20190514_175730.jpg

Last edited:
Is the cv axle OEM? Also the seal appears to be driven in just a tad too far which will promote leaking

Is the cv axle OEM? Also the seal appears to be driven in just a tad too far which will promote leaking
Its an OEM axle. So how far should it go in then?

Oh ok. My CV is leaking that s why I mentioned it. Just trying to get some options.

I checked the FSM to see if it offered any advice and it’s pretty vague on the topic. I did my passenger seal when I rebooted my CVs and tried to seat the new seal exactly how the original was installed.

Below is what the 2006 FSM has to say about it (#32)

9D58666A-80EF-4282-9953-5252F5BAC416.jpeg

Last edited:
I literally just had this issue. Three seal replacements and still leaking.

I discovered the following:
1. the axle to seal mating surface must be smooth and ungrooved

Note the photo below. The one on the bottom is a new CV axle OEM. The one on the top is my old one (275k).

This photo shows the groove

If your axle is grooved and the seal doesn't sit on a high spot, it will leak.

2. power steering rack leak can look like diff to CV leak
I also learned that the driver's side power steering seal where the rod meets the rack can leak and blow power steering fluid back onto the CV joint when the vehicle is moving making it look like a CV joint to diff leak. Quick way to check is to sniff the fluid (really). Diff oil has a very distinct smell (it's nasty). ATF which is what is used as the power steering smells very different (almost sweet).

I had a similar issue on my Land Rover, I had a hub oil seal that’s would keep leaking, replace the seal, a few thousand miles later and it’d be leaking again.
Didn’t leak much, just enough.
Finally figured out there was a burr on the stub axle from replacing a bad wheel bearing.
Replaced stub axle with a used one, problem solved.

So I second the not a smooth sealing/mating surface.

The Toyota SST diameter is larger than the seal so it will not drive it past the shoulder of seat.
Seal needs to be flush with shoulder and not deeper, replaced my seal a couple of times before discovered this.
What @abuck99 said.
In your photo seal appears quite a bit deeper than shoulder.

I need to replace my seal that just started leaking also. I am going to make a driver tool for this job and would like to do it ahead of time. Does anyone have access to a front diff and be able to measure the outer tube I.D. with a caliper where the driver would go in? I plan on the driver seating on the inner ridge to set the depth automatically like the Toyota SST.
Thanks.

I literally just had this issue. Three seal replacements and still leaking.

I discovered the following:
1. the axle to seal mating surface must be smooth and ungrooved

Note the photo below. The one on the bottom is a new CV axle OEM. The one on the top is my old one (275k).
View attachment 1977601

This photo shows the groove
View attachment 1977602

If your axle is grooved and the seal doesn't sit on a high spot, it will leak.

2. power steering rack leak can look like diff to CV leak
I also learned that the driver's side power steering seal where the rod meets the rack can leak and blow power steering fluid back onto the CV joint when the vehicle is moving making it look like a CV joint to diff leak. Quick way to check is to sniff the fluid (really). Diff oil has a very distinct smell (it's nasty). ATF which is what is used as the power steering smells very different (almost sweet).

what do you mean (If your axle is grooved and the seal doesn't sit on a high spot, it will leak)can you explain more. And what is Dimitar of this area. if my car has groov and I shave it with sand paper.

thank you

٢٠٢٠٠٤٢٩_١٨٥١٢٩.jpg

Take a metal straight edge. Put it over the end of the tube. This is where the inner lip of the seal should be, no deeper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom