3FE water pump replacement PITA! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

mmw68

CruiserCrap.com - pimping crap for your cruiser!
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
store.cruisercrap.com
What a PITA replacing the water pump is. Everything is removed, bolts, brackets, hoses.. but I still can't pull the pump straight off the front of the trucks. It seems to hit the A/C compressor tention pulley. And on top of that - the tention bolt seems to be stripped, so I might have to just remove the compressor.

Any advice.. ?

--

I have yet to do this and from the sounds of it I don't wanna but I know my time is gonna come. No tips here, sorry.

Any advice.. ? --

Buy a OEM water pump. I went after market and it failed within a month.

I had to do it all over, but with a OEM pump the second time.;)

G'day mmw68, I did this about three months ago. I don't want to have to do it again any time soon. I started by taking off the rad and everything on front of it. next remove the top bar that hold the bonnet clip. (this is easy & gives you heaps more room).
After this you get to the remove the shroud, next off comes the fan and all its attachments, fan belt, A/C pulley tensioner, etc. in front of you should be a water pump. Undo the bolts and a 'gentle' tap with a bit of wood got mine off if that helps.
Its not that bad really I'm no mechanic and I did it in a day. (remember to buy your new belts before you start). I had to get the bloody bicycle out and pedel to two seperate stores toget mine. I won't be doing that again in a hurry.
Good luck with it.

Follow bazza's advice and you can't go wrong. Although a PITA, the knowledge gained from this rather extensive "fix" is invaluable for future engine diagnostics, upgrades and repairs...and always, always use OEM parts for durability and longevity. Although expensive, the value saved in time and $ for additional replacement downtime is well worth the foresight.

Thanks Guys, I did round up all the OEM parts, but forgot to order the lower rad hose. So Iam headed to the store now.

It looks like Iam gong to have to remove the A/C compresor to get that belt off. The pulley and set screw for that belt is just messed up.

Tension bolt is almost always stripped or bent. Hang in there. MIke

howdy! i just did this last weekend on my 88, and it was a pita to do, but i'm glad for the experince/knowledge. I didn't take out the a/c pump but i did remove the pully wheel on the power steering pump on the assembly. Mike is spot on about the tension bolt being bent too. What muddled my work was that lower meta splice tube to the lower radiator hose, both in getting the water pump off and the new one back in. In fact, it took me so long to get it back on, that the gasket didn't seal properly and now leaks coolant. I may be making a mistake in putting in the radiator stop leak stuff, but i'm going to give it a whirl before i take that water pump off again. Hope your install goes easy on you. Too, i had my fan shroud cut in half on the horizotal so if i did have to go back in, it wouldn't be such a pita to do again.

So after a few beers and lunch, I decided to get back to the WP replacement.

After removing the A/C tensioner pully, the damn water pump still would not come off - it's the water pump studs that are still in the way.

SO... I grabbed a pair of vice grips and backed those studs out - then the pump came right off!!!

Cleaned up the threads on the studs, and now Iam ready to put it all back together! :beer:

What I did notice was that the water pump I took off was some Made in Japan knock - off POS.

Usually dont have problems with Jap. parts. If you get tired of that come up here and help me with new(900$) brake booster and a new master cylinder. MIke

OH, crap... been their, done that on this FJ62 too! ;)

Usually dont have problems with Jap. parts. If you get tired of that come up here and help me with new(900$) brake booster and a new master cylinder. MIke

Dang booster went on great, then found I only had a fj62 master cylinder, I feel your pain! MIke

Mark, let me know if you need another pulley or tensioner. I'm pretty sure I have some extras.

is it possible to just dismount the fan shroud and lift the entire assembly up without pulling the rad? after pulling everything else out of the way first of course.

Yes it is and that is what I did. Removing the radiator gives you lots of room to work but it’s unnecessary to remove it.

is it possible to just dismount the fan shroud and lift the entire assembly up without pulling the rad? after pulling everything else out of the way first of course.

I also did it that way on my 1991 FJ80. I think the fan & shroud needed to come out together, but I left the Rad in place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom