3fe to an h42? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I own a ‘91 80 series and I’ve been planning on doing an engine swap for a while now which means I’ll have a spare 3fe sitting around, and recently one of my buddies got a ‘74 40 series and I pitched him the idea of a 3fe swap and as of right now I’m just curious if the 80 series version of the 3fe will bolt up to the tranny he has. I’ve read around that the 3fe out of a 62 series will but I honestly have no idea what the difference between a 62 and 80 motor is.

Yes it will. Obviously you will need to get a bell housing for it. Either a 2F or 3F bellhousing will bolt right up. The only issue will be you will need to redrill the flywheel bolt holes a tiny bit. The Flex plate bolts for the 3FE in an 80 have a larger diameter than the early FJ62 version.

Dyno

Yes it will. Obviously you will need to get a bell housing for it. Either a 2F or 3F bellhousing will bolt right up. The only issue will be you will need to redrill the flywheel bolt holes a tiny bit. The Flex plate bolts for the 3FE in an 80 have a larger diameter than the early FJ62 version.

Dyno

I remember there was a difference at the crank for the flex plates between the two models. Issue with the 8/80+ 2F bellhousing and 3F bellhousing is those would need to add a crossmember the 74 four speed is not made to use a crossmember. The 74's bellhousing should work just fine.

Details on the flywheel bolt change:

Toyota Service Bulletin dated 10-05-90

The length and diameter of the flywheel set bolt has changed. This results in changes to the crankshaft and drive plate as well.

Starting with:

Production Date October 1989

VIN JT3FJ62G*L1186060

Engine No. 3F-250226

The new short block assembly part number is 11400–61121 (was 11400–61120)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom