3FE to 5.3 in 1992 FJ80 Build thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

masong

SILVER Star
Threads
I'm elbow deep in this project so I figured I'd share it here since much of my inspiration for this project came from Mud. Hi I'm Mason. I've had a 3fe 80 series for most of a decade. This one is my second, a 1992 FJ80, Its been in Montana its whole life. I am the second owner. I've loved it, but can't wait for this next phase of it.

So I bought a 5.3 out of a '05 Avalanche, had it redone with a Comp Cam/springs.
IMG_0510.jpeg

This was last year after I got back from the machinist.

I'd been putting off some front axle maintenance for a while so I set to work on a knuckle service/new birfields/bearings/fzj rotor up grade. I'd switched to OEM FZJ16" rims years ago so I was able to just get new FZJ calipers and ordered some rotors from R1concepts. Brake dust sheilds deleted with spacers from Cruiser Outfitters, as were the birfs.
E6CA7500-46BB-44F8-AED5-5F3D544C5767.jpeg

The new Birfields are greaseable, I guess they aren't as durable as OEM but what is? They are way smoother than the 234k ones.
IMG_0485.jpeg

Buttoned up the Axle with the new brake upgrade. Here is the old rotors for comparison
IMG_0513.jpeg

New larger Fzj rotors and calipers. New Tie rod ends naturally.

IMG_0533.jpeg

Continued....

Last edited:
From there I got into the fun stuff, a 3" Dobinson HD lift that a good friend gave me.
IMG_0674.jpeg

It may have come out closer to 4" Here is a picture of it almost lifted, last spring during the lock down, good to have a project to work on.

IMG_0683.jpeg

Then the rear... Oh, and some 255/85 Toyo MT's
IMG_0711.jpeg

But the "free" lift from a buddy is never free. Had to add a bunch of other pieces to make it drive down the road right.
IMG_0906.jpeg

Front adjustable Panhard, rear panhard correction bracket, rear upper control arms.
IMG_0682.jpeg

Castor correction plates were definitely the call, I had been gifted a set of castor bushings but after reading, opted for the plates, seemed easier to install too.

Continued....

Last edited:
The 255/85 R16 Toyo Open Country M/T measure close to 33.5" and fit in the factory spare tire location, perfectly.
IMG_0925.jpeg

Truck is much taller, gained about 5" between tires and lift, definitely felt like I was going to just fall out of it when I opened the door at first.
DSC02294.jpeg

Then I got real busy for the summer..... Fast forward to a month ago when some other parts started showing up.

This is a 2005 4l60e, to match my '05 motor, freshly rebuilt with new heavy duty sun cage, corvette servo, 3/4 power pack kit and a new Stock stall torque converter.

Oh, and the builder trimmed the 2wd output shaft for me(before assembly) to accept the Marks Adaptor.
63003612407__0532BFEE-A639-45FC-99C6-4E68DD201456.jpeg

Starting to feel like this project might come together. The transmission, Marks Adaptor, HF2A Toyota transfer. You all keep a spare HF2A sitting around right? I've had a spare A440f/HF2A in the shed for years, It came with a spare shifter as well, the 91-92 4 position style, I plan on using the neutral switch from the old a440 to act as gear selection switch for my lights on the dash(chime in hear if I am way off).

IMG_2062.jpeg

My Goal is to get most of the drive line set up in the shop before pulling the old 3fe. Got a new engine stand to put the LM7 on so I can get busy making it really look like a motor.

63157270310__D98D50C6-79C7-4EF7-BF6A-E1EDA42B51E5.jpeg

Looking good

57E5E618-6E1C-49F9-BC1D-AE824466494A.jpeg

Just a few mounts left. Harvesting parts to be reused, evacuating all the fluids, labeling wiring harness connections(actually harvested the whole engine wiring harness just to get things layed out for rewiring), it takes a while. Pretty sure I’m down to two motor mounts and the exhaust and it will float right out of there. Interesting to note. Original centerline is offset to the driver side. Supposedly the new motor needs a similar placement for clearances. Guess we shall see.

Last edited:
View attachment 2570420
Just a few mounts left. Harvesting parts to be reused, evacuating all the fluids, labeling wiring harness connections(actually harvested the whole engine wiring harness just to get things layed out for rewiring), it takes a while. Pretty sure I’m down to two motor mounts and the exhaust and it will float right out of there. Interesting to note. Original centerline is offset to the driver side. Supposedly the new motor needs a similar placement for clearances. Guess we shall see.
An observation. This motor has a ton of band aid approaches to engine management. The coolant circulation is much more complex and so many more hoses than I realized, and I’ve driven a 3fe powered 80 for nearly a decade. I’d been putting off a refresh of “all” the coolant hoses for a few years,especially once I’d decided on the repower route. I’d certainly missed a few in my estimation of the number of coolant hoses that needed attention. Bottom line, these engines have a lot of potential coolant hose failure locations, check them all, they are aged 29years or more by this point. I’m certain several that I have looked at are original installed in Japan.
I’m really looking forward to the simplicity of the LS from the stand point of a simpler platform. The difference is astonishing in how many external switches and mechanisms were used in the 3fe compared to the LS. ✌🏼

It was a solid effort but I managed to get the whole engine out, with transmission/transfer attached. Now for some cleaning. Somewhat amused by 29 years of oil changes(remember the 3fe filter faces down) and dirt on the frame rails/axles, seems to have preserved the chassis paint. That combined with no salt(well, a bit now) for most of its life on the roads and our dry environment, seems to have left me very little corrosion.
E4EF6821-CCF4-4615-853E-AECC9B9473D1.jpeg
C0226202-22E3-4002-BEBE-30828FB9AA4B.jpeg

Removed the old "Ungo" keyless entry and alarm that been installed by a PO, or more likely installed by a car stereo installer. I'd been using the remote for unlocking doors and that's about it, the last remote I had finally died so while the motor and everything else is out, why not take more of the truck apart? I managed to find a reasonably well done hack job, most splices were soldered, and really, the only severed wire was my starter St1 wire, which was fed into the relay shown below, should be a pretty simple repair. I carefully removed all of the connections, saving the pigtail that had been spliced into my door locks and interior lights. Those I neatly folded and tucked away for possible use on a new keyless entry, should make it a pretty easy install with the door lock and interior lights already tapped. Now I won't have to worry about the UNGO making my truck ungo while out in the woods.

IMG_2277.jpeg

IMG_2278.jpeg

An observation. This motor has a ton of band aid approaches to engine management. The coolant circulation is much more complex and so many more hoses than I realized, and I’ve driven a 3fe powered 80 for nearly a decade. I’d been putting off a refresh of “all” the coolant hoses for a few years,especially once I’d decided on the repower route. I’d certainly missed a few in my estimation of the number of coolant hoses that needed attention. Bottom line, these engines have a lot of potential coolant hose failure locations, check them all, they are aged 29years or more by this point. I’m certain several that I have looked at are original installed in Japan.
I’m really looking forward to the simplicity of the LS from the stand point of a simpler platform. The difference is astonishing in how many external switches and mechanisms were used in the 3fe compared to the LS. ✌🏼
I completely agree. I am a little shocked on how complicated the 3FE.. I am to the point where the motor is ready to come out. 10 hours of labeling and hose pulling is crazy. I hope i did not forget a label!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom