3FE to 5.3 in 1992 FJ80 Build thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Big win this weekend, motor mounts are tacked in, was able to even remove the hoist to check hood clearances, looks good to go! Evap purge valve was the only thing touching the hood liner(which may have more room with some clearancing), Any one seen a evap purge valve relocation kit? Huge thanks to @cruisermatt for the mounts, they are super solid. Burning em the rest of the way in today hopefully. :cheers:

38912085-4FB7-4962-9CEB-AA965F6E534C.jpeg
99D17A85-7716-41F7-8CF7-E995112E9788.jpeg
38912085-4FB7-4962-9CEB-AA965F6E534C.jpeg

Also, The Summit manifolds are pretty dang nice. They cleared everything with flying colors, great low cost option, thanks for the tips.

14790DA3-7922-4B56-A9A9-2828E9DF6584.jpeg

Photo of the power steering pump/box. Box is not bolted in fully and slumps toward the pump, but clears with 1/2' all around when tight, nested in there perfectly.

E75C5C81-AD5E-42A9-B00C-E9508DEDF646.jpeg

18262F65-13F2-465D-B404-E54840EFB586.jpeg

Looks good. There’s a block-off plate for the Evap purge valve. Without the complete system from the original GM application you won’t be using it anyways

I'm elbow deep in this project so I figured I'd share it here since much of my inspiration for this project came from Mud. Hi I'm Mason. I've had a 3fe 80 series for most of a decade. This one is my second, a 1992 FJ80, Its been in Montana its whole life. I am the second owner. I've loved it, but can't wait for this next phase of it.

So I bought a 5.3 out of a '05 Avalanche, had it redone with a Comp Cam/springs. View attachment 2548022
This was last year after I got back from the machinist.

I'd been putting off some front axle maintenance for a while so I set to work on a knuckle service/new birfields/bearings/fzj rotor up grade. I'd switched to OEM FZJ16" rims years ago so I was able to just get new FZJ calipers and ordered some rotors from R1concepts. Brake dust sheilds deleted with spacers from Cruiser Outfitters, as were the birfs.
View attachment 2548024

The new Birfields are greaseable, I guess they aren't as durable as OEM but what is? They are way smoother than the 234k ones. View attachment 2548029

Buttoned up the Axle with the new brake upgrade. Here is the old rotors for comparison
View attachment 2548036

New larger Fzj rotors and calipers. New Tie rod ends naturally.

View attachment 2548037

Continued....
did you use the later year brakes and do you have part numbers and where you got them. this will be my next weekend project.

thanks
Mike

Looking good Mason. This is going to be a beast when done. Good progress this weekend.

I may have missed this bit has your 3fe found a new home yet?

thanks
Mike
Yes. I ordered some vented rotors online, calipers for a 1993-94 Fzj80 from Napa, and backing plate spacers from Metal-tech I think.

would like more info on brake upgrade if you got it. Part numbers etc. Was this a Mud recommended setup? Or how did you decide on going this route. My 3FE aint stopping like it used to...

Lookin good btw :)

would like more info on brake upgrade if you got it. Part numbers etc. Was this a Mud recommended setup? Or how did you decide on going this route. My 3FE aint stopping like it used to...

Lookin good
This is definitely a mud recommended upgrade(others can chime in). It is only possible if you are using 16” wheels or larger, these were factory standard from 93 and on I believe. I already was running 16” wheels. I don’t have part numbers for you, I just told the guy at Napa I wanted brake calipers from a fzj80(93) which came with the larger rotor diameter, ordered brake rotors from R1Concepts online (drilled/vented) and returned my 15” wheel sized calipers for the core return. They look almost identical.
The splash guard/backing plate delete is optional but you would need to source a set of FZJ sized guards. I chose to delete the guards.
It’s really as easy as ordering the parts for the 93-94 trucks. Don't forget that you need the brake pads from the same year as the calipers, they are larger too.

Last edited:
Engine back out, Mounts/plates all welded in. Removed the steering box and a fresh coat of black to cover up the “Hot Glue Gun™️“ welds. While it’s out this last time, I’ll install the transfer case, transmission shift hardware, and anything else I can find that looks like it belongs there.

8DFA7850-3297-474B-827A-D314E6BC9B1E.jpeg

It really is. Your LC is going to be epic when finished.

Nice progress!!!!! I am jealous

I’d stick some kind of heat barrier in the trans tunnel/lower firewall. Not doing that is the only regret of my swap.

Are you going to use the stock fuel pump? and what is the plan with gauges? i also just picked up my 5.3 and 4l80 to go in my 92 at the end of summer
Nice! Yeah I am planning on using the stock pump if it proves up to the task. My 5.3 is set up with injectors that are in the 38psi range and my pump is pretty new. Figured I’d just send it.
Gauges, I am using a Dakota digital obd 2 for the tach signal and check engine light (admittedly I haven’t got the check engine circuit fully sorted yet). Oil sendor from the 3fe adapted to the LS, most other sensors are similar. Speedo is driven off the transfer output shaft. Other things like gear selector lights will be addressed using the original neutral safety switch in parallel to Gm one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom