3FE Owners Check-In (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Trying to go through the recommended Tune Up pdf and I’m getting to the EGR stuff. I don’t think removing is an option right now, and the OEM parts are discontinued. Anyone have an aftermarket replacement recommendation?

Also, if you are looking for something on EBAY, code PICKSOON will be up tomorrow for 15% off
Sorry- I have not had the displeasure of trying to replace my EGR parts yet, and not looking forward to it. I'm sure some of the members that part out have spares laying around.

Trying to go through the recommended Tune Up pdf and I’m getting to the EGR stuff. I don’t think removing is an option right now, and the OEM parts are discontinued. Anyone have an aftermarket replacement recommendation?

What all are you looking for?

Hi I hope you experts can help me,
I parked my 91 fj80 a couple days ago, went out a today and it and it cranks but doesn't fire. I do have the charge, a/t and check engine light on with the key on the on position.

The rig has a month old cap, plugs and wires.

I pulled the engine codes and received a 12.
"Rpm signal circuit"

I replaced the ignition coil with no sucesses.

I haven't 100% verified that the engine isnt getting spark due to lack of help, unless there is a way for me to check it alone it will be a while before I can get someone out there to verify spark with me.

Any suggestions or thoughts? I pretty mechanically inclined but I'm new to the 3fe engine/ obd1 engines and land crusier platform

I saw a few nights ago -- for the first time since 1992, when my truck was new -- the check engine light. I'd never seen it before. Not in 26 years. Not in 230,000 miles. I assumed long ago that it was toast. But no, a few nights ago my alternator died, and there it was, in all of its bright orange glory. Pretty cool little light.

my check engine light comes on intermittently in the winter time for about 1-2 miles. It is a smog thing I think. My favorite light is 'cruise' . after driving a FJ40 for 7 years as my DD back in the day, cruising is a real treat now.

Seth^^^I have not experienced that before. Is it getting fuel? check or replace fuel filter. Might just be bad gas. My old FJ40 (2f engine) used to do that (though carbuerated) and I would hold the gas pedal down all the way while cranking. Do some mud-mining (AKA searches) for about an hour and you will find a lot of info on that topic i bet.

I check the fuel pump all seems good, I haven't pressure checked it yet but it doesn't act like a fuel issue I believe it is a spark issue.

After hour of "mud mining" I believe that the cap i put in a couple months ago didnt have the vaccum lines, at least I don't remember it having them and that caused a corrosion issue on my distributor coils that send the rpm signal to the ecu.

I'm going to check that tonight

yes there are 2 vacuum lines, i believe one to the filter inside the cab to keep moisture our and one to a vacuum source via a VCV behind the air filter cleaner.

Here ya go.
Red line the larger diameter line goes from top of distributor to one way check valve to fire wall air filter behind glove box
blue line, the smaller line goes from top of distributor to top of air filter
hope this helps.
QTycSUb.png

The distributor does have the vaccum connections and they were hooked up. The pick up coils look good to me but the rotor looks suspect. Would a bad rotor cause code 12 on the ECU

20181003_170722.jpg

20181003_170642.jpg

20181003_170628.jpg

It was a good weekend to be a 3FE owner! Valves have been adjusted! New valve cover gasket, new PCV... first time ever doing a valve adjustment on this engine. Too much fun and dang it purrs like a kitten... mind you a very loud kitten...
Last picture is my air injection plugs. First thing I did when she came home was a desmogg!

32FBBAEF-29CB-4892-B2C2-3920F3A377AD.jpeg

70BFEE1F-4299-4CA3-BC0F-5F2724E480A0.jpeg

6C6E3A10-2E37-4CB4-9EFF-38F2E98FDD8A.jpeg

8BEDF01D-9C4F-465A-A167-63DE70EBDE58.jpeg

Hey 3fe guys!!

This is my 05/90 all the way from Cabo Rojo Puerto Rico

fj80 (@pr_cruisers) • Instagram photos and videos

Got it a bit over a year ago. PO bought it, used it for 3 months and she stoped working. She was left unused until i found her.

List of parts so far just to get her going:
Ingnition out of a late 2f
Spark plugs
Motor and tranny mounts
All fresh oils
Kuckle rebuild
Pcv valve
Fuel/air filters
Partially desmoged
6C4CB127-A3CE-4B52-B357-1138CF3C807B.jpeg
Things im planning on doing in the future

2f block

4 speed h42 tranny

Rear diff w/locker out of an 96

Lift and tires (duh)

Will be making threads on the build when i finish gathering parts

Last edited:
Ouick question
I adjusted my lockdown cable the other day, shifts feel a lot better and it holds gears for a bit longer which I like, so I tightened a little more and the shifts and just the feel of the transmission is a whole lot better. But I'm wondering if having it adjusted this tight will cause any long term issues?

anyone ever herd this come from their 3FE?

anyone ever herd this come from their 3FE?

can you pinpoint where exactly the sound is coming from from the engine? Idler pullies? There are a couple in the 3FE, make sure the bearings are good and the bolts are not loose?

can you pinpoint where exactly the sound is coming from from the engine? Idler pullies? There are a couple in the 3FE, make sure the bearings are good and the bolts are not loose?
Thanks for the input, I only have one good ear so directional hearing is a little bit of a challenge. I had the wife look at it to help pinpoint and she kept pointing at the Distributor. Also when it starts to squeal it starts to die...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom