3FE Owners Check-In (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Everyone on here that has the rare and ultimate 3FE equipped 80 post here, and don't forget to mention any 3FE specific junk you've done!

Hopefully this will make it easier to find other 3FE owners to ask for help, etc. when that rare problem arises!

RE-Edit: aw hell, chat away, just give me enough info to compile it to a "database" type arrangement so that I can make a thread with everyone who has done what and who just owns the beastiest 80's

Vehicle: 1991 and 1992 FJ80's

Location: South Central North Carolina (Right near Uwharrie Nat'l Forrest)

3FE Junk: 1) Custom 2.5" Exhaust (pics to come)
2) De-smog (in progress, write-up to come)

3FE Issues: Coolant Loss (plastic tank crack, suspected rear heater and engine bay by-pass hoses)

Last edited:
Vehicle: 1992 FJ80

De-smogged
2.5" lift

Extremely intimate with the following:
Tranny [A440F]
Coolant system - each and every component replaced
Dash - removal and install for the above
Carpet - removal and install for cleaning
Timing of engine - How to...
Throttle body cleaning
Brake booster and brake system - replace
front and rear diff overhauls
EGR system - track down a no vacuum problem
Rebuild engine
Fixed sticky hand brake system

Edit 12/23/19: I have since sold the 80 and now have a 60 and 200.

Last edited:
Dave Callister,
92 fj80, only 3fe specific is for the valve adjustment.
unfortunately the 3FE in mine is getting ditched for a 1fze in the next few months, It will be a sad day.
oh yeah I am in Salt Lake City (technically West Jordan)
Dave

'92 FJ80 in Western MA. Messed with alternator (isn't that completely unique? The older 62s and the 93+ are different), starter (how the ^!@%! DOES ONE PUT THE RUBBER PLUG back in?), exhaust, seats, carpets, transmission shifter), speedo cable, thermostat and dash (different bulbs). Evertyhing else I did was pretty much the same as my '94. Still to come is the VSS and cruise control.

1991 check in

1991 bone stock 118k miles. Birfs done at 95k. Replacement radiator not OEM, at 100k then again at 101 k. I will go with OEM next time. No rust. Oh yeah, igniter replaced at 110k. New starter also . And the infamous relay fix. Need ds rear window fixed, glued to the top and non-operational.

'92 original birf's:confused: no clicks tho, no cats and flowmaster exhaust with pipe cut off after the muff. new rear axle on one side and all new seals. sig line says most of the rest.

Last edited:
My sig. line sums it up.

forced,
Could you give some more details on your exhaust set-up? Do you like the MAF header? What kind of muffler? Noise level overall? Noticable performance increase?
FJ80 MUD resize.jpg

’91 bought in 93 (for book value $$$)

3FE Specific:
Throttle body bored 3mm over by RC Engineering (RC Fuel Injection ) Need to optimize Air Flow sensor to get the most out of it
Jacobs Off Road ignition (waste of money/too lazy to remove)
Dual Batts ( Dual Batts on FJ80, ANYONE?????? - Page 2 - IH8MUD.com )
Delco 100 amp Alternator (custom bracket)Alt from any 94/95 GM truck fits and is easily upgradeable to <200 Amp
2.5” exhaust w/magnaflow
Heavier gage wiring for fuel ignition relay

Mods:
Newfield Birfs--replaced again (clicking) less than a year after install- CV Remanufacturing hooked me up for free
’94 rear FF/Disc Brake axle and an ARB locked FJ60 3rd member installed.
4.56 gears
GM auto-leveling Air pump to run ARB
Sanden OBA in place of smog pump for tires and back up ARB air
Build HD rear bumper/receiver/tire carrier
ARB Bull Bar w/ 9000#T-Max trimmed and tucked 2 5/8" closer to the body
Local “master fabricator” (Vorfab) made sliders
2” front coil spacers (between bump-stop/spring and frame mount) also made by Vorfab
OME850 Heavy front & OME 860 Medium rear springs (w/1 trim packer ea)
OME firm shocks front & rear
Slee extended brake lines
315/75/16 BFG/ATs

Future Mods:
Replace/Remove? Cats

Past Problems:
Fuel ignition relay wiring
OEM Birfields
OEM Alternator burnt up 4 years ago. Replacement NAPA one fried 4 times in 4 years at most inopportune times
OEM CD player quit—Replaced with JVC mp3 player, Pioneer AMP, pioneer Speakers, and CB radio in empty slot
Body half clearcoated, half pealed

Last edited:
See my Garage in my sig line..........

92 FJ80, and I believe I am the champ so far with 220K on this high powered beast. Birf's done a little while ago, new PS pump, clogged valve cover wouldn't let the PCV system work and oil, oil, everywhere! Took a couple grand to figure out that one. Ugh.

Oh yeah, Mot hooked me up with rear LED's, clear blinkers/side markers, and Cdan took care of the front corners. Ripped the ghetto fabulous step bars, sissy crash bar, bug shield, window shields, and sunroof shields from previous owner (what was it with him and shields??) And now, it's starting to look cool.

Managed to stop a Dodge 1500 the other day when he couldn't seem to, and now I need a new rear bumper, any suggestions?

Oh yeah, burns no oil, PS fluid, coolant, or brake fluid.

Richmond VA or thereabouts.

-Jared

'91 FJ80 W/ 243,000 miles (which now makes me the champ I Believe!!)

OME 3" lift , heavy duty front swaybar, adjustable panhard bars front and rear, HD tie rods, extended S.S. brake lines.

Just rebuild knuckles w/ new wheel bearings, Experienced the PITA timing, replaced fuel injection manifold and injectors.
Cats have been removed

Today I adjusted my valves and rebuild P/S pump since the woodruff key became shrapnel.

Tomorrow paint valve cover and put it back together!

Brian

Gonna go ahead and ignore the no chat order... Damn Bfletch, you took me down man. Only because I bought the 100 tho, I've put about 50k on it in the last year and let the 80 sit idle. Don't worry, I'll get you yet! :)

How have the exhaust mods helped with power? I'm ready to cut the cats and put the MAF headers on tomorrow if it'll help at all.

1991 FJ80 197k miles
Pretty much stock...Will be adding lift, bigger tires, arb bumpers rear and front, fog lights, roof rack...and more. Bought it next to nothing after a mechanic told previous owner repairs will run him into thousands...took the chance bought it, replaced starter and voila!!! works ....runs like a champ!!!

Bought it about a week ago...got around it yesterday hooked up new starter and belts....and today I left my 4runner at home....and drove it to commute to work ....I am in heaven!!!

Planning on driving it down to patagonia argentina in about a year!!!

TiredIronGRB said:
Vehicle: 1991 FJ80 "The Pinnacle of Land Cruiser development"

Echo that!

Stock 91' got it 5 years ago @62k miles, currently @94kmiles. Only problems I've fixed myself are the passenger side window getting disloged, adjusting throttle cabe and the kick down cable & tweaking front bumper back into shape. I hope have'nt just jinxed her.

91 fj with 3inch ome,arb,and snorkel 181,000 on the clock
needs valve adj,birf,r axle oil seal other then that i wheel it every weekend

91' FJ80

My 3FE is in bad shape right now. Bad oil leak, probably pan gasket, blown o2, PS gearbox leaking. Been out of work for past few months now I have 2 jobs so project cruiser is in effect. Also my hood has clear-coat failure all over it.

Things I've done, pretty much is valves, birs, pinion seal, new batt, brakes, which I'm overdue for now :crybaby:

92 with 87k, got it last month. getting plugs, cap, rotor, wires, belts, and hoses this week. Planning the birfs this summer, knuckles are starting to look bad, no clicking though. Has anyone had their transmission flushed? Did you use a dealer or somewhere else?

Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom