3FE Diagnostic Plug TE1 and E1 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello fellow cruiser owners,

I have a dumb question. Looked around and have found conflicting answers on what shorting the TE1 and E1 terminals on the 3FE diagnostic plug actually does in terms of ignition timing/ECU. When setting ignition timing, does shorting the terminals just stop the ECU from adjusting the timing? Or is there more to it than that? This is also the same shorted combo to read codes from the ECU right? Thanks again!

Hello fellow cruiser owners,

I have a dumb question. Looked around and have found conflicting answers on what shorting the TE1 and E1 terminals on the 3FE diagnostic plug actually does in terms of ignition timing/ECU. When setting ignition timing, does shorting the terminals just stop the ECU from adjusting the timing? Or is there more to it than that? This is also the same shorted combo to read codes from the ECU right? Thanks again!
Shorting TE1 to E1 disables the automatic timing adjustment from the ECU when the engine is running. This allows you to set the base ignition timing. In the FSM pages IG-10 to IG-11. Once the short is removed the ECU takes over and adjusts ignition timing according to sensor inputs.
Without the engine running, it enables you to read any stored trouble codes from the ECU. In the FSM pages FI-21 to FI-25.

I’m convinced that Jon knows more than Toyota about the 1991-8/1992 FJ80 iterations.

👏👏👏

Love you long time. 😘
Hey now, I didn't write the FSM. I just read it 100 times over the last 30 years.
Love you too pumpkin.

Shorting TE1 to E1 disables the automatic timing adjustment from the ECU when the engine is running. This allows you to set the base ignition timing. In the FSM pages IG-10 to IG-11. Once the short is removed the ECU takes over and adjusts ignition timing according to sensor inputs.
Without the engine running, it enables you to read any stored trouble codes from the ECU. In the FSM pages FI-21 to FI-25.
Appreciate the great info Jon! The reason I asked this is because a buddy of mine who also owns an 80 insisted that shorting the terminals should cause a noticeable change in RPM, never experienced that on my 80 when setting ignition timing. Now I get to tell him he owes me a beer! Thanks again!!

Appreciate the great info Jon! The reason I asked this is because a buddy of mine who also owns an 80 insisted that shorting the terminals should cause a noticeable change in RPM, never experienced that on my 80 when setting ignition timing. Now I get to tell him he owes me a beer! Thanks again!!
Some people have played games with ignition timing trying to squeeze more HP out of the old 3FE. If that's the case, then there would likely be a change in idle speed. However, I have always kept base timing according to the FSM.

Some people have played games with ignition timing trying to squeeze more HP out of the old 3FE. If that's the case, then there would likely be a change in idle speed. However, I have always kept base timing according to the FSM.
Makes sense, so if he’s running with some seriously advanced timing then he may hear the idle speed change when shorted? Same here, I’ve only ever timed it to spec 7deg btdc, I’ve learned to enjoy the scenery.

Makes sense, so if he’s running with some seriously advanced timing then he may hear the idle speed change when shorted? Same here, I’ve only ever timed it to spec 7deg btdc, I’ve learned to enjoy the scenery.
I've got news for you. I enjoy the scenery in my 97 LX450 as well. None of them are all that peppy. I want a bumper sticker that says, "Oh for god sakes, just go around me."

I've got news for you. I enjoy the scenery in my 97 LX450 as well. None of them are all that peppy. I want a bumper sticker that says, "Oh for god sakes, just go around me."
My right foot has definitely gained some serious muscle since I bought it! Drove it from AZ to Oregon round trip and a bumper sticker like that might’ve saved me a middle finger or two. Of course 33s, lift and an Arb front bumper aren’t exactly helping my cause.

My right foot has definitely gained some serious muscle since I bought it! Drove it from AZ to Oregon round trip and a bumper sticker like that might’ve saved me a middle finger or two. Of course 33s, lift and an Arb front bumper aren’t exactly helping my cause.
4.88 gears and 33s are a good combo for the 3FE. Better off the line and easier maintain speed up hills.

4.88 gears and 33s are a good combo for the 3FE. Better off the line and easier maintain speed up hills.
Have considered the 4.88s for awhile now (axle could use a rebuild) , but before I spend anymore $$$ been thinking about swapping to 1HZ or 1HD-T (and dumping even more $$$). 1HZ seems to have better parts/availability, but the factory turbo on the 1HD-T is definitely a plus for me. I could kick myself for passing up a clean 1HD-T/A442 awhile back. Oh well, the search continues!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom