3FE cranks, starts, then slowly dies (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 1992 3FE will start, but won't stay running for more than a few seconds before rpm drops and the engine dies.
Backstory: my dog tore the wires out of the O2 sensor and chewed halfway through the starter cable trying to get a squirrel. The truck still ran, but with a CEL. A week later, the engine died and refused to restart. I was focused on the recent carnage, and it took me awhile to figure out it was a blown EFI fuse. I replaced that and the EFI relay for good measure, and it ran normal but still showed a CEL. At that point I decided to address some deferred maintenance issues and I did the following:
  • Replace oil pan gasket and change oil and filter,
  • drain and fill coolant,
  • replace all belts and coolant hoses
  • replace starter cable,
  • replace fuel filter,
  • replace air intake hose
  • replace various vacuum lines
  • replace spark plugs, distributor cap, and rotor
Note that I never addressed the disconnected O2 sensor.
After getting everything back together it cranks and starts, but refuses to run for more than a few seconds. It will generally rev, but when the throttle is returned to idle RPMs will fall and the engine dies. I'm 99% sure all the vacuum lines are reconnected properly. Staring at the engine and scratching my head is not working. Over the last four years this forum has never failed me, but I can't find a similar issue on here. Any bright ideas?

Did you remove the screws on the connector for the AFM/VAF when replacing the intake tube? Inside the AFM/VAF is a set of contacts that keeps the fuel pump running after initial start. If you messed with that then those contacts are damaged.

Your saying the 02 sensor is still disconnected? If so than I would fix it before moving forward. Than I would also double check the distributor, timing, plugs, and vacum lines.

Also make sure the intake hose is airtight.

Goodluck

Did you remove the screws on the connector for the AFM/VAF when replacing the intake tube? Inside the AFM/VAF is a set of contacts that keeps the fuel pump running after initial start. If you messed with that then those contacts are damage
I did. Unscrewed them, looked inside, then replaced the screws.

Yep it's damaged. You are going to have to send it out for repair or open it up and check/repair all the wiring and the contacts. There are several threads on the subject with some good pictures. One thread references a guy on EBay that will repair that damage for around $100.

Yep it's damaged. You are going to have to send it out for repair or open it up and check/repair all the wiring and the contacts. There are several threads on the subject with some good pictures. One thread references a guy on EBay that will repair that damage for around $100

Good to know. Thanks for the quick answer!

This is the link to EBay. It calls out 93-94 models but the 91-92 use an almost identical AFM. Contact the seller through EBay to check for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom