93 LC starts, runs then dies if gas pedal is not pressed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I think my issue is centered on the AFM in my 93 LC.

Originally, I purchased it in non running condition and in troubleshooting I found that the two screws in the AFM had been removed. I soldered the connectors in the AFM and the truck started and ran. It passed smog here in CA and ran until a few days ago. The LC starts for about 15 seonds and stops if gas pedal is not applied. I checked the engine codes and showed 24 and 32 which are AFM related. Thinking that my soldering had gone bad, I purchased an off brand AFM from ebay. With the generic AFM, the LC runs for about 30 seconds, acts like it's choking, then stops. It also shows the same engine codes. I am looking for a used AFM or a place where to have it refurbished.

Could it be that two AFMs are bad and needs a known good one?

In troubleshooting, I have:

Checked the hoses to and from the AFM to the throttle body. I know air could be getting in somewhere.
I jumped FP- and B+ to bypass the fuel pump logic
I have checked the Circuit opening relay resistance again the FSM
Reset ECU by removing negative terminal from battery.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Not fun when messing around with the VAF everyone says not to touch😂.

Anyway, I also made the mistake of doing so. The VAF you had purchased off of Ebay is most likely your issue. I had also purchased one off there. And it has always had all kinds of issues. But seemed to idle okay but couldnt drive with it.

I would recommend trying to find a original one. But in saying that there could be a vaccum leak. But I wouldnt think the VAF codes would be there if so.

Is the ebay listing still available and are you able to link it if so?

Not fun when messing around with the VAF everyone says not to touch😂.

Anyway, I also made the mistake of doing so. The VAF you had purchased off of Ebay is most likely your issue. I had also purchased one off there. And it has always had all kinds of issues. But seemed to idle okay but couldnt drive with it.

I would recommend trying to find a original one. But in saying that there could be a vaccum leak. But I wouldnt think the VAF codes would be there if so.

Is the ebay listing still available and are you able to link it if so?

Thanks, I am looking for one in the classifieds as well. Here is the link to the one I purchased:

Almost looks identical to the one I had brought also.

Does it idle okay with that VAF? My rig it would idle fine but as soon as it was put under any load it could choke.

I also believe the internals may be abit different to the original too. Aleast mine was. I have a few photos that show it better.

As you can see I also had to solder the original aswell. And has surprisingly been okay and is now within spec. The other one from ebay looks abit different with 2 different tracks and a switch instead of the mechanical metal. (Ebay VAF does normally have the same ish rod in the middle)

My guess is they are just cheap products from china from people trying to make a few bucks without actually doing the correct testing.

So yeah I would try start looking for a new original. Or if your abit of a tinkerer like me try get your old one within spec 🙃
IMG_0786.jpeg
IMG_0785.jpeg

Almost looks identical to the one I had brought also.

Does it idle okay with that VAF? My rig it would idle fine but as soon as it was put under any load it could choke.

I also believe the internals may be abit different to the original too. Aleast mine was. I have a few photos that show it better.

As you can see I also had to solder the original aswell. And has surprisingly been okay and is now within spec. The other one from ebay looks abit different with 2 different tracks and a switch instead of the mechanical metal. (Ebay VAF does normally have the same ish rod in the middle)

My guess is they are just cheap products from china from people trying to make a few bucks without actually doing the correct testing.

So yeah I would try start looking for a new original. Or if your abit of a tinkerer like me try get your old one within spec 🙃
View attachment 3564341View attachment 3564350

The ebay AFM idles ok for about 30 seconds, then if I don't apply gas, then it stutters and stops. The original AFM does the same but lasts about 15 secs before stuttering and stopping. There is a person mentioned here in MUD that "fixes" these and you get the service done thru an ebay post. I am going to give that a try. I will keep looking for another OEM for spare. Thanks!

Just an update. While disassembling for a tune up, I found the throttle body had a lot of build up. Purchased throttle body cleaner and cleaned it. After replacing spark plugs, distributor cap, rotor, cables and both seals, the truck started up fine and it’s purring like a kitty (still with the chinese AFM. I am going to have the OEM one refurbished.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom