3FE Conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I broke down and ordered a 3fe conversion for my 73 from cruiserparts.net. I installed the motor and seem to missing items. Shouldn't there be a harness from the coil to the computer? If so I didn't get one. The same harness must also have the power connection because I can find no way to put power to the computer, no o2 sensors and a main relay with nothing to plug it into. Has any one else done this conversion? Do I have to fabricate the wiring for this? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

I’ll bite,

welcome to mud,

I went to cparts.nets web page and briefly read through the instructions,

they do talk about a harness similar to what u describe is missing ,from there web page I grabbed a pic

F70BD206-0A26-451D-89F0-632D5AAC0892.jpeg

Thanks for your info. I went back and checked the parts included in this kit list and they just did not send me everything. It says custom downpipes with o2 sensors, I got the pipes but no sensors. I got the intake with mass air flow sensor but no harness to plug the sensor into. No main harness. Oh well, just slow the project down a little until I get the parts.

Word, glad u got it sorted out. a wise man once told me, “wheels of progress turn slowly”

How is the install so far??
Honestly it has gone smooth, it is almost a direct replacement. I wished I caught the missing parts earlier.

3FE's have two required harness. The engine harness and the cowl harness. The engine harness stays intact. The Cowl harness gets greatly reduced if you are just having it run the engine, stand alone style. Be sure they kept the speed sensor input and the check engine light too. Without the VSS you get a code 51(if i remember correctly) and the CEL so you can check your codes.
I almost had them (cruiserparts) build me a harness. However, I am glad i did it myself, I learned so much and can troubleshoot the system when needed, very easily now.
Dyno

3FE's have two required harness. The engine harness and the cowl harness. The engine harness stays intact. The Cowl harness gets greatly reduced if you are just having it run the engine, stand alone style. Be sure they kept the speed sensor input and the check engine light too. Without the VSS you get a code 51(if i remember correctly) and the CEL so you can check your codes.
I almost had them (cruiserparts) build me a harness. However, I am glad i did it myself, I learned so much and can troubleshoot the system when needed, very easily now.
Dyno
Thanks for the info, that will be very helpful.

For info, I am using the VSS in the stock speedometer. It has a different pulse count but the ECU doesn't care, it is just looking for pulses or no pulses. Mine has not thrown the code 42.

1600272202766.png

Interestingly enough, I did not hook up the VSS wire at all, and have not had a CEL yet, been a few months of driving it once a week or so to work and a few trips.

The 3FE in a 40 is fantastic. It just runs SO GOOD. Way smoother, nicer, and even a little quicker then my 350 was. My first longer trip we went over Donner Summit pulling my M416, I got gas in Grass Valley, and then got fuel again in Reno... and I got 16.5mpg pulling a trailer over Donner summit. I checked my math a few times because I couldn't believe it. You will enjoy the 3FE.

Interestingly enough, I did not hook up the VSS wire at all, and have not had a CEL yet, been a few months of driving it once a week or so to work and a few trips.

The 3FE in a 40 is fantastic. It just runs SO GOOD. Way smoother, nicer, and even a little quicker then my 350 was. My first longer trip we went over Donner Summit pulling my M416, I got gas in Grass Valley, and then got fuel again in Reno... and I got 16.5mpg pulling a trailer over Donner summit. I checked my math a few times because I couldn't believe it. You will enjoy the 3FE.
You are correct, the vss not installed had no ill effects. I desmogged and put those three switches on the fender well in the spare parts pile. Runs perfectly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom