3fe alternator troubles (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've got a 92 3fe FJ80 that the alternator went out on. No big deal, I just figured I'd order a new one and put it on. After ordering 4 alternators from various different auto parts stores, every single one that has come in has been slightly different from the last, and slightly different from what fits my truck. Finally I just ordered a used alternator off of a 91 FJ80 (seller said it would fit) and what do you know, it's not the same! As you can see from the pic, the plug is different.

IMG_0441_zpspbm9cy7j.jpg

So can someone tell me where I can get a damn alternator for my truck?? Including my original alternator, I've gone through six alternators now and none of them have been the same. Did Toyota just decide to make every alternator slightly different or something? Anyway, my truck has put a big dead spot in my yard from being down the last 2 months so any help/insight would be appreciated. Thanks.

Some 92s came with the 80 amp alternator with the external fan. Some came with the 90 amp alternator with the internal fan. The 2 are not easily compatible as the mounting is different between the two.
External fan = 80 amp
Internal fan = 90 amp.
Get the correct one for your truck.
You can play games with parts store aftermarket parts, or you can reach out to the many OEM parts suppliers on this forum.

I ordered a remanufactured denso 80 amp one off rockauto for mine and it fit perfectly fine.

Part Number

Part Type

Price EA

Core EA

Quantity

Total

1992 TOYOTA LAND CRUISER 4.0L L6

PURE ENERGY

Alternator / Generator
Private Label Package

$ 73.79

$ 50.40

$ 124.19

My truck has an 80 amp with the external fan, which is what I keep ordering from different places but with no luck. I'm hoping to avoid spending $300+ to get my original rebuilt since I'll just be selling the truck soon anyway

IMG_0442_zps7riwevrm.jpg

IMG_E0443_zpsvurhso5f.jpg

IMG_0445_zpsz5bkrmwr.jpg

This is the original alternator I pulled off my truck (it's disassembled right now because I took it to a shop to have it rebuilt, then they tried to charge me over double what they originally said, and then they didn't put it back together...)

This is the original alternator I pulled off my truck (it's disassembled right now because I took it to a shop to have it rebuilt, then they tried to charge me over double what they originally said, and then they didn't put it back together...)
80 amp OEM Denso unit. Fits 91/92 FJ80
27060-61090
You can buy a remanufactured unit that comes in a red box from any online parts resource for about $185.

So it has to specifically say it's a Denso unit? I've ordered from 3 different places now and non of them have worked, but non specifically said "Denso" either. All just said 80 amp alternator for 91/92 Land Cruiser

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom