3FE 80 Series click no start (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Okay, so after a decent amount of searching I have come to the determination that more than likely my starter solenoid lugs are bad. However I don’t have the time or money to dedicate multiple repairs that don’t solve the issue, so I won’t to confirm my theory with the group prior to throwing parts/money at a problem.

1991 3FE FJ80

-Good battery >3 mos. old
-New OEM Alternator >3 mos. old
-probably the original starter

History: truck recently had both the battery and alternator replaced after a sudden demise. Truck’s radio will still occasionally cut off while driving, not sure if it’s related, but worth noting.

Truck suddenly will not start. No cranking, just the aforementioned “click” as has been presented before. 13.2V at battery, which only drops 11-12V while key is turned to crank. Truck starts just fine when it is jumped.

Question is, do I need to replace the starter solenoid contacts (if so where should I order them and is there a link to a writeup) or is this something else?

In my experience, clicking has generally meant that the contacts/plunger were worn. It could also be ground related though.

Have you tried tapping the starter with a hammer when it clicks?

Rebuild your starter (cheap and easy) and wire in a 12v starter relay. Not difficult and would be a great start to eliminating a lot of stuff. Search 3FE no start issues and you'll find the 12v relay has helped many.

Technician1985 - that makes alot of sense, I’ll go through them today. The fact that it would start when jumped was the only symptom that was different than the other “click- no start” issues I had read about.

Bajaphile- I had not tried tapping the starter while someone tries to crank it because I had read the horror stories of people welding their solenoid contacts like that.

I’m not entirely onboard with wiring in the relay, even though it does make sense, it just seems like this issue should be able to be fixed by replacing a worn out part and keeping it the way Mr. Toyota intended.

When my starter contacts started playing up last month I didn't even get a click. Nada. Hammer time got me out of jail every time. Strangely mine would only fail to start when the engine was warm - not sure why. I put a new denso starter in it last weekend and it has been perfect since.
Will rebuild the old one someday as a spare.

Clicking sounds like a bad connection.

To clarify when I say click its not like your typical dead battery/locked up starter rapid clicking. It is a single click like a relay opening and nothing.

If it's a good solid clunk, then you're hearing the starter solenoid engage. The engine should crank.
If you can jump the battery and it starts, that's pointing to a faulty connection at the battery. Always check the simple things first.

Adding a starter relay is a band-aid fix for those who can't find the actual issue.

Yeah it fires up no problem when hooked up to jumper cables. So I should be looking for a bad ground?
I would be looking at the positive battery terminal connections.

Mine was kinda doing the same thing. I would have to hold the key in the start position for about 3 seconds then it would crank. My battery voltage also tested good, but I decided to change it anyways and that fixed the problem.

Ok. So because I absolutely detest unfinished threads when I’m searching, here was my solution:

I had attempted the ground to frame using the jumper cables thus eliminating a bad ground issue.

With that eliminated it was time to move to the positive side. I had already checked fuses and thus eliminated that. After wiggling my main positive cable while my wife was cranking I heard the starter engage. So after closer inspection the wire was in the connector but very loose. New crimp on connector and a buttload of solder later and it fires right up every time.

Nicely done closing this thread out with a solution @Rshields85 . The ground trick with the jumper cables....

Ive been wrestling with this issue as well. Recently put a new to me starter in and solved the problem. Now its back. Before I couldn't engage the starter without a hammer and also didn't get a solenoid click. Nor would it hot wire. Seemed cut and dry it was the starter. Maybe not. No reason to get further into it until I replace the terminals. Clean / reconnect links. Go from there. 2 year old battery, maybe get it load tested.

FWIW, most issues like this are caused by the starter itself. Certainly check the battery terminals along with the terminals on the starter, but you can't rule out a new starter as being faulty. I had 2 OEM re-manufactured starters from Toyota that were bad out of the red box, and aftermarket starters typically have a very short lifespan in these trucks.
The most common cause is worn solenoid contacts. If they are not installed flat to the plunger, they will wear very quickly and you will have a no-start.
It is also important to clean out the bore for the plunger and add a coating of lightweight grease. This will make certain that in cold weather the solenoid still moves freely.
At this point I just rebuild my own starters using OEM parts.

In the hopes of clarity in regards to this specific group of symptoms, I ask that we keep responses to a minimum. Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom