3D Printed Parts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone,

I just received my 3D printer that I ordered a year and a half ago and wanted to know if anyone had any ideas on stuff that can be printed for the Land Cruiser. The printer also has a scanner, so I can scan in parts, but I'm still not sure how to properly use it. So what would be the most useful thing you would want to print?

Dome light lens for fj40.

elephant horn covers, knobs for the early 40 windshield vents and bugcatchers, late 55 turn signal bases

Power seat gears and end caps.

That's one of the things I was thinking of originally, and I'm sure I can do the caps, but not sure about the gear. I just don't know the strength of the prints yet.

It's not too big. I can print 6.7 inches in diameter and 7 inches tall. Most things are designed in parts though. Just depends what you want to make.

The nuts that hold down the second row footsteps. The little plastic cover under the clock that I'm missing.

I assume you have the plastic printer? How heat sensitive is that after printing? Can it handle the heat of a car in direct sunlight in summer time?

Ill look into printing those @nukegoat.
@landtoy80 im not sure. I'll have to research that.

I was looking at buying a printer for one specific part...power mirror internal housings, you know, since they're all pretty much broke. New housings with a wire built into the perimeter around the ears and a thin metal sleeve around the bottom screw hole to prevent further damage. If not. I'd be interested in buying a 4% larger print out of each housing half. For the purpose of casting aluminum housings.

There has to be a very large learning curve on just the plastic printer. With so many types of plastics out there, you need to know its heat rating, flexibility, rigidity, its affect from direct sunlight, how long it lasts before it breaks down, etc. Just look at plastic food container and other plastic containers, they are classified into 7 different groups

-Plastic products are typically labeled with a numbersurrounded by the recycling symbol. These numbers and labels
identify both the type of resin used to make the plastic and the products recyclability. Associated with the different types
of resin are potential health risks. The following table summarizes seven different types of commonly used plastics,
product examples, recyclability, and potential health risks.
http://www-tc.pbs.org/strangedays/pdf/StrangeDaysSmartPlasticsGuide.pdf

I bought digital car thermometer once and after one hot summer day in Colorado, the housing was melted and warped so bad it broke the insides.

@landtoy80 I was looking into it, and it seems like the plastic I currently have won't melt, but would deform in your hand in the car on a hot summer day, but there are a ton of different plastics to print with I will look into and see what will be more heat resistive.

I will look into and see what will be more heat resistive.
Can you print with PVDF? I'm no expert, but it's what we use in my industry (semiconductor) for high-heat applications.

I would concentrate on making simple parts first, but preferably ones that are no longer available from the dealers. Seat gears and caps are already available at a fair price from a MUD vendor. JOhn

@landcrshr I'm not sure. I will look it up later his afternoon and get back to you. I found high temp pla that says it will withstand up to something like 250 degrees. That should work well I'm going to order some soon and test it out.

Dude, Cup Holders. That is all you should do and we will all go crazy over them! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom