3D printed Parts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Dimples

I owe my soul to the TRD store.
Threads
As I just ordered a 3D printer. Starting this thread as a place to post and share designs and ideas, or help someone out if they need something printed. The first thing I plan to develop is a insert for the center console for a proper cup holder.

As I just ordered a 3D printer. Starting this thread as a place to post and share designs and ideas, or help someone out if they need something printed. The first thing I plan to develop is a insert for the center console for a proper cup holder.
Awesome, I look forward to your work and ideas! Let us know more about your progress.

@Highway Romping has printed a bunch of stuff and might have some advice, lessons learned, and best practices to share.

SR5 1st gen 4x4 trucks, the steering wheel center "horn button".

Sweet! What'd you get? What software are you planning to run?

I've got a wanhao clone that is pretty heavily modded and have been using fusion360 for a few years (can't beat free). Cura is a great slicer, highly recommend that.

I've gone down the rabbit hole, happy to share the files I've got. I've done a few 100 and a few 80 projects, the models could all use some refining but :meh:

(for the record, I didn't come up with this one, but I had a go at making my own)
1597465093065.png

This one I came up with a while back)
1597465185845.png

1597465116414.png

and I've been printing some leather stamps, these work surprisingly well in petg:
1597465692167.png

1597465750845.png

Sweet! What'd you get? What software are you planning to run?

I've got a wanhao clone that is pretty heavily modded and have been using fusion360 for a few years (can't beat free). Cura is a great slicer, highly recommend that.

I've gone down the rabbit hole, happy to share the files I've got. I've done a few 100 and a few 80 projects, the models could all use some refining but :meh:

(for the record, I didn't come up with this one, but I had a go at making my own)
View attachment 2404569

This one I came up with a while back)
View attachment 2404571
View attachment 2404570

and I've been printing some leather stamps, these work surprisingly well in petg:
View attachment 2404580
View attachment 2404581

picked up a MP 10 from monoprice. planning on using cura. It needs a mod right out of the box to upgrade the plastic extruder feed to all metal. You have to slow the printing down for a really high quality prints.

picked up a MP 10 from monoprice. planning on using cura. It needs a mod right out of the box to upgrade the plastic extruder feed to all metal. You have to slow the printing down for a really high quality prints.

i’m running that one. All metal hot end, z braces, glass build plate, and 3 point bed. Also upgrades the OS to marlin (i think that’s the name).

i’m running that one. All metal hot end, z braces, glass build plate, and 3 point bed. Also upgrades the OS to marlin (i think that’s the name).
Do the z braces help with print quality at higher feed speeds?

Do the z braces help with print quality at higher feed speeds?

Yup, they add some serious stability and they made a noticeable difference. I could see the layer “wiggle” after the direction change as the tower oscillated. especially when the spool is on top

I've been down this rabbit hole and it's awesome. Thingiverse.com is a great source for premade 3D model that you can start printing right away. If you print with ABS, make sure you have a heated need and an enclosure to keep the heat around the part, otherwise they will warp.

I've been down this rabbit hole and it's awesome. Thingiverse.com is a great source for premade 3D model that you can start printing right away. If you print with ABS, make sure you have a heated need and an enclosure to keep the heat around the part, otherwise they will warp.
Staying away from ABS. Doing prototyping in PLA then final product in PETG

Staying away from ABS. Doing prototyping in PLA then final product in PETG
Never tried petg, does it have a higher melting point compare to pla? Pla can deform from the heat if you parked outside during the summer.

Never tried petg, does it have a higher melting point compare to pla? Pla can deform from the heat if you parked outside during the summer.
Significantly higher temp before deformation. Print temp is 230-250. It does not give off the VOCs that abs does and is food and liquid safe.

Yup, PETG is a solid option for in car AZ summer temps and it’s much less frustrating to deal with. ABS has been nothing but frustration for me.

How do you like it? There has been growing resentment for Fusion360 lately and the FreeCAD offering is starting to look pretty solid.

So far it is easy to use if you have some previous CAD experience. The more I poke at it the easier it gets so that is a plus.

Downside is it is not very intuitive when it comes to user messages. So you have to guess what it wants if it throws up an error.

Considering I was able to draw the cup holder in 5 minutes I’m happy with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom