3B or 3BII (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was under the impression that 3bII engines where marked as such on the block. I picked up this 3b today expecting it to say 3bII but it does not. It's significantly different from all the other 3b engines I've had. It has a integrated vacuum pump built into the timing cover, an exhaust manifold that looks like a 14b and rocker cover that's resembles a 14b as well. Rotary IP and torque to yield head bolts. So is this a 3bII or just a late model 3b?
20220514_215226.jpg
20220514_215234.jpg
20220514_215255.jpg
20220514_215300.jpg
20220514_215316.jpg

Whatever it is I have never see one before. Looks like something I should put into my truck.

20220514_215215.jpg

I actually purchased it for the 8 bolt flywheel, bellhousing and h55 so I can bolt it up behind this. Anxiously waiting along with @bottombracket for @SteveJackson to bring it to the states.

IMG-20200928-WA0000.jpg

Perhaps my impression was wrong. According to this thread it's a regular 3bII

They were a 3BII as your calling it and as far as I know came in the 70's. They shared the same rotary pump and lines etc as the late 3B from he 40's but they still had the rounded covers. I got one out of a 1988 SWB 70

What’s better, rotary fuel pump or non rotary. What year did they change?

What’s better, rotary fuel pump or non rotary. What year did they change?
The pump wasn't a year model change, it was more market and application. I have an 84 model 3b with a rotary pump and have seen later models with inline pump.

The pump wasn't a year model change, it was more market and application. I have an 84 model 3b with a rotary pump and have seen later models with inline pump.
What’s better? How do I tell what mine is?

Definitely a 3bii if you ask me. The big external differences are the fuel filter was mounted on the firewall instead of the right side of the engine, and the difference valve cover. Also they painted the blocks different colors I believe (orange vs blue).

They both have their strengths and weaknesses. The 3bii was a short lived motor (iirc only in service for 3 years), being replaced in a lot of models with the HZJ motor or the 13BT. The 3b will take a 13bt exhaust manifold without modification and can be turboed using that. The 3bii requires the harder to find 14bt manifold. The 3bii has a 5 camshaft rollers vs the 3 rollers on the 3b that makes it a bit smoother (still a paint shaker).

The inline pump is easier to service and tune, but really not a huge difference from what I have read.

Definitely a 3bii if you ask me. The big external differences are the fuel filter was mounted on the firewall instead of the right side of the engine, and the difference valve cover. Also they painted the blocks different colors I believe (orange vs blue).

They both have their strengths and weaknesses. The 3bii was a short lived motor (iirc only in service for 3 years), being replaced in a lot of models with the HZJ motor or the 13BT. The 3b will take a 13bt exhaust manifold without modification and can be turboed using that. The 3bii requires the harder to find 14bt manifold. The 3bii has a 5 camshaft rollers vs the 3 rollers on the 3b that makes it a bit smoother (still a paint shaker).

The inline pump is easier to service and tune, but really not a huge difference from what I have read.
Fuel filter has nothing to do with 3bii vs 3b. Inline pumps have fuel filter on the engine. Rotary are remote mounted.

My 70 was originally fitted with that engine, vin plate just says 3B and the block also said 3B. 3BII just seems like the public's way of distinction between the two since Toyota just called them both 3B. I remember it shared a lot of parts with the 14B as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom