Differance between 3BII, 4B engine (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
HI, is there any chance that the 3BII engine is infact a 4B engine?
I personaly have a 3BII in my BJ43, and it runs great.
over 300 000km and al lot of torck compared to an ordenary 3B

toyota has very little info on the 3BII (witch they just call 3B) and i'm thinking they just put a 4B engine in the late BJ7* series (1989) because they discontinued the old 3B

has anyone ever dismantelled a 3BII and checked the stroke, because thats the only differance between 3BII and 4B
RIMG0017-800.jpg
RIMG0019-800.jpg
4B.jpg

[STRIKE]That is not a 3B-II.

My guess is just a late model 3B w/ rotary pump. [/STRIKE]

As far as I know, if a 4B exists at all, it never went into a 70-series. You may have meant 14B, but that is a direct injection engine... this one is definitely not that.

EDIT: Aaactually, I take back my original statement... it looks like part of a 3B-II. Like maybe a 3B-II block w/ a 3B head? Exhaust manifold is definitely not a 3B-II's, and I don't believe the manifolds will swap directly.

I have heard others refer to a 4B but whether it really exists ,I do not know. Wiki lists a 4B as IDI version which is what it would be designated
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_B_engine

I believe the 14B and 15B have reinforced engine blocks and were only fitted to buses and trucks.

Last edited:
[STRIKE]That is not a 3B-II.

My guess is just a late model 3B w/ rotary pump. [/STRIKE]

As far as I know, if a 4B exists at all, it never went into a 70-series. You may have meant 14B, but that is a direct injection engine... this one is definitely not that.

EDIT: Aaactually, I take back my original statement... it looks like part of a 3B-II. Like maybe a 3B-II block w/ a 3B head? Exhaust manifold is definitely not a 3B-II's, and I don't believe the manifolds will swap directly.
4B does exist, it went in a Dyna truck

This is indeed a non direct injection, intake mainfold is the same as 3B exhaust is that of a 14B, I alreadt have a exhaustmanifold of a 14BT so I can Turbo it.
This engine does not have pistonsleeves, but is a direct bore, just lake 1HZ and 1HDT
It has significant more torck than the 3B and also more power, that I kan feel. It puls a trailer with 2.5Ton on 35'tires with stock 4.11 diffs

Well the block says 3B right on it... so I don't think its a 4B.

Vacuum pump on the timing case points to a 3B-II. The other identifier would be the exhaust manifold, but you said you swapped it out for the 14B manifold. So the two outer cylinders have three studs while the inner ones only have 2??

Sounds like a regular 3B-II to me.

EDIT: Also, regarding the 4B, do you know what model of Dyna and what market it was in? I checked the EPC for several years throughout the 90's for both the general and european market and only find B's, 3B's, 11B's, 14B's, and 15B's in Dyna applications. No 4B.

EDIT AGAIN: It apparently came in BU306's... early 2000's, JDM market.

Last edited:
Well the block says 3B right on it... so I don't think its a 4B.

Vacuum pump on the timing case points to a 3B-II. The other identifier would be the exhaust manifold, but you said you swapped it out for the 14B manifold. So the two outer cylinders have three studs while the inner ones only have 2??

Sounds like a regular 3B-II to me.

EDIT: Also, regarding the 4B, do you know what model of Dyna and what market it was in? I checked the EPC for several years throughout the 90's for both the general and european market and only find B's, 3B's, 11B's, 14B's, and 15B's in Dyna applications. No 4B.
EDIT AGAIN: It apparently came in BU306's... early 2000's, JDM market.

Aha, I found someone who knows what hé's talking about, Great:D.

The reason I think its not really a 3B and in fact a 4B, is because of the huge differance between a 3B
I've seen 3B engine with a rotarypump, but these are exacly the same as an ordenary 3B, exept for the pump
I've got the orriginal service manual for this engine, and it's a 3B/14B service manual
The huge difference it torck and power, for example, my engine has over 300000km on it, only needs 11l/100km and just does not die, even if you go beneath 500rpm.

I found it on the internet, and it came out of a 1989 BJ70 that rolled of a mountain in France. I didn't know exacly what it was, but I knew I had to have it:D.

I found a dyna on the internet a few years back in indonesia, that had a 4B engine and it looked exacly the same.

Your also right about the manifold, i posted a few pick about it,

I changed my oilcooler by one of a 3B so I have a oilfilter that points down and i have a connection for suply and return of oil for the turbo
IMG_0248-800.jpg
IMG_0249-800.jpg

i have a 3B2 in my 89 BJ73 as well. The 4B should have 8 more horsepower and 17 ft.lbs. more torque. that feels about right to me. very noticable difference in power between mine and the canadian bj70's i've drove, especially on hills.
i believe you, you're not alone :D

i have a 3B2 in my 89 BJ73 as well. The 4B should have 8 more horsepower and 17 ft.lbs. more torque. that feels about right to me. very noticable difference in power between mine and the canadian bj70's i've drove, especially on hills.
i believe you, you're not alone :D

:DI WANT TO BELIEVE:D

att least I'm not alone

iff you ever have to replace the cilinderheadgasket, would you like to mesure the stroke and bore and reply me?

If I ever have to do that I'll keep you informed.

Here is a comparison between my engine and a 14BT, only differance is the machining of the engine NR
RIMG0019-800.jpg
P1030397.JPG

Last edited:
Why do these threads stop?
Anyway i have a 3BII with the 10 bolt exhaust head stud pattern unlike the 8 on a 3B and i am currently in the final stages of my 14B-T conversion.
Im not sure about 4B or 14B but the blocks externally between the 3BII and 14B-T are not that far apart as a bare block. Oil lines for the turbo. Is all i can remember at the moment

I'm Currently installing a 4B in a FJ45 soft top.

it's a 3.7 instead of a 3.4 (3B) Having to deal with all the wiring (it's got an ECU which controls all the environmental crap) it does run, but I want it to run with all its power.

I'm Currently installing a 4B in a FJ45 soft top.

it's a 3.7 instead of a 3.4 (3B) Having to deal with all the wiring (it's got an ECU which controls all the environmental crap) it does run, but I want it to run with all its power.

Where did you get it from?

I bought it in Iquique, that's northern Chile. I payed about 1800USD maybe less. There is a place that has more than 80 in stock. nobody is buying them as no one knows them.

I'm currently trying to figure out the pinout of the ECM. can't find anything I really need to power this thing up.

Is it definitely a 4B or 14B? I think the 4B is IDI , you dont see too many around. Does the injection pump have a diesel control unit?
Same fuel pump as this?

1563571503424.png

Last edited:
Definetely and absolutely a 4B Indirect injection. Yes it has a diesel control unit and the pump looks just like that one.

I couldn't find the pinout for the ECM just impossible to find even on japanese forums (it came from a JDM Truck) I'm installing a 14B Pump to get the full power out of this thing.

Do you know what each part of that pump on your pic does exactly? If so, it would be great to know.

I couldn't find the pinout for the ECM just impossible to find even on japanese forums (it came from a JDM Truck) I'm installing a 14B Pump to get the full power out of this thing.

Do you know what each part of that pump on your pic does exactly? If so, it would be great to know.

The injector pressure will almost certainly be different between the 4B and 14B pump. Not sure one will work on the other. IDI and DI are quite different.

Regarding the electronics; you might be able to just ignore the ECM. It's possible it's just monitoring the engine to control emissions equipment like EGR etc. For example the Hilux 2LT-II engine is a mechanical injection motor, but has a small ECM with a bunch of sensors on the motor just for controlling emissions. All that emissions stuff can be removed and the motor will run just fine.

Can you take some pictures of the motor and post them here?

Well yes, all rotary pumps are basically all the same. Lots of diagrams on the net under bosch/denso rotary pump explaining the names of the components. The feed pump in the diagram has been turned around 180 degrees for clarity.
There are also plenty of videos on youtube showing how each component works. The "magnet valve" valve in the diagram below is better known as a fuel cut solenoid on Toyota pumps.

1572051479513.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom