3B MAX KM's (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was just reading around the fourm and read a post about the 3B having some trobles with keeping cool, vaccum pumps etc. I was wondering how may KM's people rigs have on them with a 3B or 13-BT?

Mine is only at 270 000 and hope to get alot more out of her.

I had over 700000KM on a B engine in a 78BJ40. It smoked like mad and had almost no compression in 2 holes..

that was the first diesel i ever owned

My brothers 84 BJ60 has 430000KM and still pulls strong.

Eric Winkworth said:
I was just reading around the fourm and read a post about the 3B having some trobles with keeping cool, vaccum pumps etc. I was wondering how may KM's people rigs have on them with a 3B or 13-BT?

Mine is only at 270 000 and hope to get alot more out of her.

Eric...

Ease your mind. The 3B is tough....

gb

it depends .. the maintenance is a very important factor. But 3B engine with normal ( minimun oil and filter changes ) provide more than 500,000 km easy .. !

I rebuilt a 3b outta a 82 BJ60 with 500000km on it not because it was down on compression or anything I was restoring a vehicle and i wanted a new engine but the inside of the engine defore the rebuild was absolutly perfect there was noticable wear onb the timing gears and cam shaft but the major parts of the motor like the crank main bearings and pistons were just like the day they were put in, That engine could have at least doubled that mileage

My mind is easier now, I'm happy to hear that guys, I always change my oil and take good care of maintience on my trucks, hope to get alot of years out of this truck.

anyone else?

yep, i have seen 3Bs that needed rebuilding at 150,000 and i have seen them running strong at 600,000...
it all comes down to driving style and maintanence, change your oil, do not over heat, and you will be fine for many years...
cheers

thats about all it comes down too, 150 000 on stock oil I bet, lol. I will do it but the thing I worry about is the guy before me, he had alot of recepits and said he changed his oil alot but who knows.

Runnin on a pomm full of sledge. lol

I am a believer in a pyrometer, buy one and change your driving habits. that will help extend the life too.
I think a pyro should be stock equipment. once anything is different than stock, even tires you have a need for a pyro. its amazing how hot it gets on a hill for extended times. I back off the throttle many times to keep it decent and not melt the sh_t out of it. IMOP

brownbear said:
I am a believer in a pyrometer, buy one and change your driving habits. that will help extend the life too.
I think a pyro should be stock equipment. once anything is different than stock, even tires you have a need for a pyro. its amazing how hot it gets on a hill for extended times. I back off the throttle many times to keep it decent and not melt the sh_t out of it. IMOP

Ya, I've driven to the exhaust pipe on the BJ42 a few times, when into strong headwinds, or climbing long hills at elevation. I've a mechancial water temp guage, and between black smoke and water temp I can find that sweet spot where it will pull all day...not very fast and perhaps not in the gear I would want...but all day. I am sure more then a few people would be amazed if they saw the exhaust temps on their lowly 3B at times.

gb

Most of the worlds B motors are fitted to 2 ton dyna trucks and 15 seat coaster buses rather than landcruisers.
Many of these still clock up over 500000 klms with much more weight than a cruiser.
Most aussie kids went to school on a B or H powered bus:cool:

I thought the same think as Greg, if you get a big hill ( or long swamp ) or simple towing your big yacht :dooh:

You need to be attentive to your exhaust ( smog color ) and your water temp .. yea I know a pyro is the most accurate gauge to know the engine situation, but if you don't have .. :)

Tapage said:
You need to be attentive to your exhaust ( smog color ) and your water temp .. yea I know a pyro is the most accurate gauge to know the engine situation, but if you don't have .. :)

I have had high exhuast temp well into the too high zone with no smog smoke behind me. I would not say the smoke test is accurate. Pyro is the only way.

everyone should have one. for 150-200 CAD and one hour to install. best money spent.
so you can stay :cool: and not :mad: you engine will be ;)

OK, I am sold, where do i get a pyro and what other parts and pieces do i need to complete the install?

Thanks

Lots of threads on it,

but I got a autometer Z model. 2 1/16 size, black. there are many options to install, if your a non turbo guy just drill a hose in the exhuast pipe and clamp it on(all stuff supplied in the kit)

if your a turbo guy, you can do pre or post turbo, again read the threads on it. many opinions, like asses everyone has one eh? but thats why we are on the forums to hear all the opinions and look at some ............cheerleader threads rock!!!

I paid about 200 CAD for my entire kit. I bet they are cheaper in civilization. things are pricey up north. And I'm not that north.

The pyro will let you turn up the fuel a bit, and be safe about it, also crank the boost on your 13b-t and your making some power. safely so to speak.....

brownbear said:
I have had high exhuast temp well into the too high zone with no smog smoke behind me. I would not say the smoke test is accurate. Pyro is the only way.

everyone should have one. for 150-200 CAD and one hour to install. best money spent.
so you can stay :cool: and not :mad: you engine will be ;)

Agreed, the pyro is the best way to go.

The mighty 3B puts up with a lot...

gb

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom