3b fuel problem? (long) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nic

Threads
Ok first off its a 82 3b with an AXT turbo kit that was put on myself 2 months ago. The other day i decided to turn up the boost to 10 pounds from 7 for my trip up the coq. I started playing around with what i thought was the fuel mixture screw (a nut with a set screw in the middle on the left side of the motor) and i opened it up to much and got air in the system. I then decided that i don't know what i'm doing and tightened it back up and left her alone. It drove fine for a day and when i started my trip up the highway 15 minutes in the engine felt like it ran out of fuel (the tank was full) and i had to pull over.

This is where my fun started. The engine would turn over put wouldn't fire. I checked the little set screw (the only thing i messed with) and it seemed fine. I primed it up with the plunger and with the pedal to the floor she fired up. So i was on my way again for another 10 minutes and the same thing happened again. This went on for awhile till a got her home where its sat for the weekend.

What do you guys think? besides not touching your diesel if you're not sure what you are doing. ;p

humm, sounds like you are getting air from somewhere, diesel are very picky when it comes to air, if there is the tinest bubble it won't be able to get past it, diesel also goes bad and can cause these same sort of problems. I have never had to put my pedal to the floor to start my truck I don't even know if it helps. when you prime the pump you have to not only prime air out of the fuel filter and lines, but the pump itself. There are two separte plugs for doing this, the one looks like a grease nipple right up by the fuel filter, and the other is on the side of the pump.

if you don't get all the air out try, try again. I was having a problem with my truck when I first got it and after changing the filter, and fixing my diesel tank and running some new vent hoses etc, I never had the problem since.

ooh, wrong adjustment screw.
new pump.jpg

lowenbrau said:

I've got a question to add to this...

I recently replaced my B diesel after I spun a bearing. The "new"used motor I installed runs great and has good power but I am getting a lot of black smoke under load.

I am going to have my spare set of injectors rebuilt, but could this be as easy as adjusting the flow of fuel with the rear facing adjustment in the photo above?

lowenbrau said:

thats exactly what i did :doh: I did a search on bleeding out the air so i'll try it when i get home. Thanks for the help :)

whoa, those breather lines on my truck arn't black like that, they are an old yellow color, what causes them to blacken like that?

lowenbrau said:

you are a very handy guy with pictures. kudos to mr Lowenbrau :beer: :beer:

ya you opened the injector bleed screw. shouldn't be too hard to bleed. although that air can be funny, I had to crack my injectors several times to bleed them. fussy little things.

Put some clear line from the fuel pump on the side of the block to the fuel tube coming from the fuel tank. This way you can eliminate any air issues further back, and concentrate post fuel pump for your air leak.

gb

brownbear said:
you are a very handy guy with pictures. kudos to mr Lowenbrau :beer: :beer:

Thank you very much. I figure the biggest thing that makes a forum better than a mailing list is that you can add photos to explain what you are talking about. Its well worth the price of a silver star. The fact that I live in a camper parked at the back of my Cruiser shop means I can pretty much snap a photo to explain myself at any time.

Its one of the benefits of being a homeless person. I may not be able to vote and I may not have running water but I do have a 10 Mbps internet connection.

lowenbrau said:
Its one of the benefits of being a homeless person. I may not be able to vote and I may not have running water but I do have a 10 Mbps internet connection.

And a Webasto heater ;)

now I know how you can afford those things! Ahh ha.

10 MBPS internet is screaming fast. Think of how fast you can view the cheerleader thread.

Also really good for online gaming.

brownbear said:
10 MBPS internet is screaming fast. Think of how fast you can view the cheerleader thread.

by the way more fast than me .. !

but anycase I can wait .. ! :grinpimp:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom