3B Engine Oil (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Iv been trying to research the best engine oil to use for my 3B engine, it's currently on 15w 40 and is due for an oil change so I'm wondering what is the best oil to use

THANKS

Considerations in this order - a 3B isn't particularly sophisticated and probably doesn't care beyond point 1 or maybe 2.

1) Clean oil to the proper fill level.
2) A diesel oil with the correct viscosity.
3) An oil brand with the required additive package to keep a flat tappet cam engine happy.

We're a Penrite distributor so if it was my truck I'd probably use Penrite HPR Diesel 20W60, but would need more info on your location and climate to recommend further.

Penrite says all the HPR oils have at least 1000 ppm of ZDDP so shouldn't see any issues with excessive flat tappet camshaft wear.

Considerations in this order - a 3B isn't particularly sophisticated and probably doesn't care beyond point 1 or maybe 2.

1) Clean oil to the proper fill level.
2) A diesel oil with the correct viscosity.
3) An oil brand with the required additive package to keep a flat tappet cam engine happy.

We're a Penrite distributor so if it was my truck I'd probably use Penrite HPR Diesel 20W60, but would need more info on your location and climate to recommend further.

Penrite says all the HPR oils have at least 1000 ppm of ZDDP so shouldn't see any issues with excessive flat tappet camshaft wear.
I'm from New Zealand

I got this chart from the 1994 Version of the FSM for B, 3B, 11B, 13B, 13B-T engines.

This should help you select the correct viscosity according to Toyota.
1685591854643.png

Run a 10w40. You'll get better short run economy than a 15w40 and easier starting in winter.

Otherwise nothing special for those engines.

A 10W40 or 15W40 is fine, you can use one of the HD-Truck-Oils, they usually have a good package of additives. I guess you don't have the problem with high sulfur diesel, right?

shell rotella t5 15-40 is pretty standard
t6 is a 5-40

In my 3B is 5W-40 full synthetic oil.

Old 3B's dont need fancy oils. Just use a known quality brand.

Old 3B's dont need fancy oils. Just use a known quality brand.
I can only concur with.

If you opt for Shell, then the HELIX HX3 should be sufficient.
According to them: "offers reliable protection for older engines,....against harmful sludge and varnish deposits"

Last edited:
I can only concur with.

If you opt for Shell, then the HELIX HX3 should be sufficient.
According to them: "offers reliable protection for older engines,....against harmful sludge and varnish deposits"

20W50 is too thick for anywhere except Australia and Africa.

20W50 is too thick for anywhere except Australia and Africa.

Sure, thank you Dougal
It was just the first page I saw in their HX3 internet page.

For the place I live (Greece, Mediterranean/Californian climate) the 15W40 should be the way to go, I believe.

Last edited:
I know from the old Mercedes Engines, owners usually use the 15W40, for mostly cold areas it will be the 10W40 and the 20W50 is only used, if the engine is degraded and has some issues with the oil pressure. It's kind of a workaround avoiding the overhaul (or at least changeing the crankshaft bearings, etc.)

15W40 is just the viscosity, but most HD-oils are avail in this range, 10W40 the little bit better ones, 15W40 the standard-mineral-stuff. I would go for either of them but change the oil frequently, even if you only do a couple of miles per year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom