3b engine mechanic search (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am looking for a mechanic for my 3B in my land cruiser BJ40
It seems to be running fine but I suspect it I should preventatively replace the head gasket and peak at the pre-cups
ideally I would just like to refresh or rebuild the engine

I havent found a master list for diesel mechanics by searching
Has anyone had any luck crossing over into canada as they may have a little more experience with these diesel engine?

Any help appreciated
Was in Ak, cruiser now located in Michigan, happy to travel
( I know I should take the project on myself at least the headgasket but would still like to start the conversation and have back up in case I need assistance or get over my head or find further problems"

I see some recommendations here

On a 3B. You are the mechanic.

^^this
ya buddy,
dont do pre-emptive things (like a head gasket for no reason)just do the required maintenence
yes precups are 'wear' items, but if you take that head off you better have a plan when you find it cracked between the valves.
......like, be prepared for a complete head job or new head, which it may very well be in need of.
i have done this job myself, you can too
just slowly gather the parts and tackle it in your winter down time, make friends with a machine shop

Yes I am the mechanic but I am trying to do what you said which is "be prepared" especially if I need a full rebuild at some point

300,000 + KMs on the original engine, head gasket, pre cups
I figured it would be smart to have a new gasket over a catatrophic failure especially since I have the turbo kit from keith here on ih8mud that I almost installed but currently on hold

you must re and re the head for the turbo or the gasket will shortly go after, so youre on the right path
300k is nothing for these engines, but when you take the head off, do everything, ie water pump, belts, hoses, injector rebuild, pump timing retard (very important for crank longevity),new pre-cups, valve guides, valve job, head re surface or a new head if cracked. Dont rebuild the engine 'just because' though, just inspect and repair as necessary. You can look at the pistons and bore with the head off. Crank bearings are a debatable one.
its easy stuff just time consuming, and some things should go to the professionals like injectors and head re+re
remove the head yourself and take it to the shop

Thanks for the advice

The engine seems sluggish compared to other B engines I have driven and seen so I was wondering if it will be headed to rebuild
( I am not sure how it was maintained for years prior )
All of the things you said sound like a good starting place first

I guess my concern was things like machining head, boring and cranks are all things I would normally have a shop evaluate and complete
and I thought I should be seeking a place familiar with this engine but maybe any well reputable engine machining shops should be comfortable?

if your crankcase blowby pipe (that shoots to the ground on the passenger side of the engine) isnt puffing really bad (like a second tailpipe) you are probably fine, all these engine have some blowby, and they all seem sluggish in n/a form, might be injectors or elevation or pump timing, the HAC, or maybe someone turned the fuel down....
getting these rebuilt can be opening yourself up to shoddy shop work so unless absolutely necessary, i wouldnt.

machine shops that deal with diesels, and a diesel specific fuel injection shop will be the best bet, 'regular' mechanics will just muck around and likely make things worse or misdiagnose your truck

Thanks for all the helpful advice!
machine shops that deal with diesels, and a diesel specific fuel injection shop will be the best bet, 'regular' mechanics will just muck around and likely make things worse or misdiagnose your truck
Thanks for all the helpful advice!

you must re and re the head for the turbo or the gasket will shortly go after, so youre on the right path
300k is nothing for these engines, but when you take the head off, do everything, ie water pump, belts, hoses, injector rebuild, pump timing retard (very important for crank longevity),new pre-cups, valve guides, valve job, head re surface or a new head if cracked. Dont rebuild the engine 'just because' though, just inspect and repair as necessary. You can look at the pistons and bore with the head off. Crank bearings are a debatable one.
its easy stuff just time consuming, and some things should go to the professionals like injectors and head re+re
remove the head yourself and take it to the shop
how much pump timing retard?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom