3B diesel light blue/grey smoke on start up only (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,
Need some advice or assistance on what can be cause of this:
I’ve got a 1983 bj42 lx and I’ve taken it out for a long drive on a three day camping trip. It drove great and strong even on the high way and going up hill it pulled great, though when I started it the next morning after arriving it blew some blue/grey smoke for about 40sec then cleared. It Drove perfectly fine and didnt blow any smoke at all. I then went for another drive to the next town. Stopped at a cafe, and again when I stated it blew the same grey/blue smoke for 40sec and back to normal again. It doesn’t blow any when driving and still drives fine for an old 3b. I did check the oil when I got home and it was very low. I did a big mistake not checking the oil before the camping trip so I’m worried I’ve taken her out on this trip on low oil and have now caused some damage.
Any thoughts or ideas on what I should do or what it can be. Your assistance is appreciated.

Blue is a sign of unburnt fuel or oil blow by. Maybe pump timing? Valve stem seals getting worn? How long since your last oil change?

Its customary to state the klms it has done.
It most likely has wear in the piston rings. This makes it hard to compress the air at start up causing smoky starts. Then, when the engine is warm, the rings expand and the compression increases.
It is after all an engine approaching 40 years old.
A compression test is probably the next step.

When I send heads at the shop, all valve seal were very hard. That’s possible some oil leak down the valve stem and burn at start up.

Hi all thanks for your input.
It’s strange it’s not doing it anymore…I did forget to mention I was camping at mt bulla so possibly it was the high altitude, I’ve always been sceptical about that but now that I’m back it’s not doing it anymore. I’ve also given it a good service so she seems to be fine. Though I’m leaning towards stem seals. @roscoFJ73 apologies it has 350k on the clock.
I’m considering doing a rebuild and possibly putting a turbo on it to help with the hills lol. But then again..I do appreciate the originality and it’s capabilities. Does anyone have any thoughts on turbo

I wouldnt add a turbo at this advanced stage of engine life. I like originality, but putting a larger 14B or 15B with a turbo would be fun

Thanks rosco! Yeah and I agree..I like the originality also, and too be honest it’s not that bad driving it..it only lacks power going up a hill, other than that around town and freeway driving is perfect..cruises at 110k perfectly.
What are your thoughts on a 13bt compared to the 14&15b turboed.

What about glow plugs? If they're tired then there will be unburnt smoke on cold startup - then subsequent warm starts won't smoke. I've noticed that this can be worse at higher altitudes but I don't really know why.

Does Mt Buller qualify as high altitude? :lol:

If it's only doing it on cold starts, I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

It's been unusually cold in Sydney the past couple of weeks. In guessing it was pretty chilly in the Alps too. I'd expect a little bit of blue smoke in near freezing temps until the head and pistons warmed up a little.

What are your thoughts on a 13bt compared to the 14&15b turboed
I thInk the 14B and 15B would be easier to procure these days and parts unique to these engines will be easier to get in the long run than the 13BT. And of course they will have more cubic capacity and thus more power. Hino's smallest truck engine, N04C appears to be based on the 15B

+1 for glow plugs!

Man I would love to swap by 3B for a 15B, but seems like it’s hard to get a 15B ‘ft’—I only ever see the ‘FTE’ version. Seems like it would be hard to go from full mechanical to an electronic system.

+1 for glow plugs!

Man I would love to swap by 3B for a 15B, but seems like it’s hard to get a 15B ‘ft’—I only ever see the ‘FTE’ version. Seems like it would be hard to go from full mechanical to an electronic system.
Yes, so I would just get a 15B and add an aftermarket turbo

Also looking into options to replace or rebuild my 3bii. Turns out I have a head gasket that is failing. Anyone know an importer of 13bt or 15b motors in the US, or for that matter what the current market price is for a 15b shipped to the US?

Also looking into options to replace or rebuild my 3bii. Turns out I have a head gasket that is failing. Anyone know an importer of 13bt or 15b motors in the US, or for that matter what the current market price is for a 15b shipped to the US?
The only 15/15BTs I saw were on questionable sites like alibaba or machinio. Seems they’re about $2500 plus the ride

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom