350 Swap, Vortec Heads Y/N (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am rebuilding a 350 to put into my piggy and I am trying to justify spending the extra money on vortec heads, vortec intake etc, etc. I have heard that you get better power, mpg, with this conversion.

Just wanted to see if anyone else has used Vortec heads compared to regular heads.

Thanks

Vortecs will do a very nice job.

I would definitely do it. I just put vortech heads on a 350 per the recomendation of a friend of mine who works in an engine shop. You can find vortech heads used pretty cheap and have them gone through. He claims they are good for a free 40-50 Hp overstock and will beat aftermarket old school heads in many cases. good luck!

I'd post a pic but the files are all too large.

I had a '95 chevy 1500 with a V6 vortec and that thing was more powerful than my friend's who had a normal V8... I'm sold on the worth of the vortec, i say go for it.

go for the vortec , i heard a stock set right out of the box ,will out flow those old high performance heads (camel hump heads, fuelie heads ,etc) hands down . edelbrock makes an intake manifold for these heads so you can run a carburetor still

Performer Vortec (Idle-5500 RPM)

rhino73 said:
I would definitely do it. I just put vortech heads on a 350 per the recomendation of a friend of mine who works in an engine shop. You can find vortech heads used pretty cheap and have them gone through. He claims they are good for a free 40-50 Hp overstock and will beat aftermarket old school heads in many cases. good luck!

Vortech is a maker of superchargers for Ford engines.
Vortec is the engine design produced by GM.
Let's not confuse the two. ;)

Where to buy......

Well I think I am sold on getting some of these heads. I am also getting a new cam for torque!!!!!! I have heard though that is better to get a new set instead of old. Its worth it, I think, if I am going to rebuild everything anyway.

Anyone know of a good place to get these heads? Do I dare get some off of ebay?...or order from summit or scoggin dickey?

Bought my vortec heads from Summit Racing. <$600 Very much worth it in my opinion. Put them on a goodwrench crate motor with a mild cam and could tell worlds of difference.

Scoggin Dickey

Bought mine from Scoggin Dickey as a kit. They have a good website.

They have upgrades also. Mine have the Z28 springs and retainers and are good for about .550 lift IIRC.

I'm running a Comp 262 extreme energy with Edelbrock Air Gap Intake.

Holley Truck Avenger Carb 670.

I think I paid about $1200 for the upgraded heads, gaskets, bolts, intake, rocker arms.

In other words, everything to bolt on and go.

Good upgrade. Chevy high performance built a motor with a 274 extreme energy cam with 1.6 roller rockers on a fresh .030 over 350. That motor made over 400 horsepower with 440 lb. ft. of torque. It had a 750 cfm carb and 1 5/8" long tube headers.

The 262 makes torque quicker than the 274. But I would go ahead and go with the 274. It will still have plenty of torque and have alot better sound.

J.R.

When your driving a truck shaped like a brick, and weighing like an elephant, witha snortin sbc in it, nuthin is gonna make a difference on fuel. Just my opinion of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom