-31 outside temp, convection heater +129 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Squash

SILVER Star
Threads
These things work and are totally simple to install on the hdt or hz blocks.
20220121_074235.jpg

Mine works, but not as well as yours. Mounted nice and low, but I think I need a check valve in the lines going to/from my webasto (mounted between block and heater valve) as it seems to be recirculating more in that smaller loop than through the engine.

Still started right up at -30 so I can't complain.

ive been toying with the idea pf adding one of these to my 3B as it doesnt have a block heater. It really doesnt sit ouside over night always inthe heater shop. Would be nice to plug in if i had another vehicle in the garage overnight for repairs.

Mine works, but not as well as yours. Mounted nice and low, but I think I need a check valve in the lines going to/from my webasto (mounted between block and heater valve) as it seems to be recirculating more in that smaller loop than through the engine.

Still started right up at -30 so I can't complain.
As an update to this it was -31 ambient this morning. Last night I used a pair of pinch off pliers on my Webasto coolant line to make sure the convection heater didn't backflow through that loop. My windshield was partially defrosted and it was warm enough my glow plugs hardly cycled before starting. I'm pretty happy, but whoever pays the power bill at my office may not be because I'm going to run it all day.

Excuse me for being kinda dumb, but what is a convection heater and how does it connect up?

Remove block drain for supply to heater, "Y" into heater hose before firewall mixing valve.
Think of an old tea kettle heated on the bottom and steaming out the top.
Works way better than a block or inline rad hose heater.

Ideally these are mounted much further down, because yours is so high it may suffer a premature burn out.
Try getting it down to where the block drain was.

Ideally these are mounted much further down, because yours is so high it may suffer a premature burn out.
Try getting it down to where the block drain was.
Premature failure because the coolant wont be "drawn up" efficiently and potentially having the heating element not bathed in coolant?
I don't DD this rig, so it's not being plugged in that often.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom