300 series vs 200 series, first impression (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Twisted in a knot is not equivalent to pointing out the obvious, IMO - which is that this thread is full of 200 series owners waxing poetically about their 200 and making broad conclusions without very much information.

Haha, the fact the used car market went way up and therefore you sold your X7 for a good number is not representative of BMW's current product offerings, but fair point, especially when owning them for 2-3 years.
I’ll tell you what, the new X7 is atrocious in my opinion. The dual front lights are a tragedy. Don’t get me wrong, I wouldn’t own a bimmer once it hit 100k miles out of warranty. We don’t keep luxury cars very long. The land cruiser or Lx is the only vehicle that I’m not afraid of after warranty is up.

Last edited:
I’ll you what, the new X7 is atrocious in my opinion. The dual front lights are a tragedy. Don’t get me wrong, I wouldn’t own a bimmer once it hit 100k miles out of warranty. We don’t keep luxury cars very long. The land cruiser or Lx is the only vehicle that I’m not afraid of after warranty is up.
Haha, yes it is. Also I am not a BMW hater, I have been a BMW enthusiast my whole life, currently own a Z3 Coupe and a F80 M3... but BMW's brand has slipped/morphed more than any other manufacturer over the past 15-20 years. Its really too bad.

Haha, yes it is. Also I am not a BMW hater, I have been a BMW enthusiast my whole life, currently own a Z3 Coupe and a F80 M3... but BMW's brand has slipped/morphed more than any other manufacturer over the past 15-20 years. Its really too bad.
Agree! I almost bought a 2018 M3 competition which I believe is still for sale. Alpine white with Sakhir Orange/Black Extended Leather. I have always liked the 6 speed manual and it makes a fun grocery getter when the wife sends me off and takes 3hrs to get back. ;)

I have a 2016 Landcruiser, a 2022 LX600, and a 2019 X7 with the TT V8. They are all nice and all different. I'm guessing the Landcruiser will win the long term reliability/cost of ownership battle, but that seems obvious. The X7 is really comfortable and quick for a 7 seater but has had the most issues. Nothing big, but way more than the Landcruiser and I'm guessing more than I'll have with the LX. I do miss the tailgate, but luckily I have a couple on the other cars 😂

Well, sounds like more hyperbole and speculation to me - but I am not surprised as that is what 95% of this thread is.

- I have followed this and the Tundra fairly closely, as I am going to buy a TGNA-F vehicle, just not sure what yet. I do not see widespread issues with overheating by any means.
- It has a 10 speed transmission bud :rofl: By all accounts its much better than Toyota's 8 speed and there are very few issues reported so far.
- Hyperbole
- Yeah you're full it. Math is easy and the 300 will have similar or better range - in the real world it should easily be better unless you drive like an idiot, as the 3UR sucks down gas unless you baby the hell out of it... and even then its not good.
- Your entire post is speculation, you didn't have to single out this part about the engine.
Lol!

My post is real life experience. Last thing I'll believe is a keyboard warrior "hyperboling" imaginary responses 🤣

Simmer down here. Opinions are OK, but lets not get into insults or degrading the persons opinion

Personally I am more interested in facts and data or an opinion from someone who has touched or ridden in one

BTW- The GX470/460 doesnt have a spilt tailgate and it is a real Land Cruiser. Sold across the world as the Land Cruiser Prado 120/150 series. I hear and understand the opinion that a split tailgate makes a Land Cruiser and you are entitled to that opinion, but the facts on the built and delivered Land Cruiser variants don't align.

Which Cruiser you like or buy always comes down to personal preference in any case

The GX470/460 doesnt have a spilt tailgate and it is a real Land Cruiser. Sold across the world as the Land Cruiser Prado 120/150 series.

images.jpeg

Sorry for the offtopic, but couldn't resist 😂

This is a common reaction in markets where the GX platform is sold as a Land Cruiser Prado. The Prado shares pretty much no parts in common with it's contemporary full blooded Land Cruiser, apart from the badge. It's much closer to a Hilux.

View attachment 3100467

This is a common reaction in markets where the GX platform is sold as a Land Cruiser Prado. The Prado shares pretty much no parts in common with it's contemporary full blooded Land Cruiser, apart from the badge. It's much closer to a Hilux.
actually the 470 shares most of its drivetrain with the 100 series. My daughter has one, don't know about the 460

actually the 470 shares most of its drivetrain with the 100 series. My daughter has one, don't know about the 460

Doubtful, chassis is from the 150 platform, i.e. 5th Gen 4Runner, different engine, tranny, axles than the 200 as well. I've owned both, at the same time, very different levels durability but the GX460 is still a very nice option and we will be adding another back to our garage here in the next few weeks. They make for a great daily and build out nicely for a mild luxury off-roader as well.

Doubtful, chassis is from the 150 platform, i.e. 5th Gen 4Runner, different engine, tranny, axles than the 200 as well. I've owned both, at the same time, very different levels durability but the GX460 is still a very nice option and we will be adding another back to our garage here in the next few weeks. They make for a great daily and build out nicely for a mild luxury off-roader as well.
appreciate your opinion. we own both the GX470 and a 100 series so I can see with my eyes and the repair manual the same engine

Simmer down here. Opinions are OK, but lets not get into insults or degrading the persons opinion

Personally I am more interested in facts and data or an opinion from someone who has touched or ridden in one

BTW- The GX470/460 doesnt have a spilt tailgate and it is a real Land Cruiser. Sold across the world as the Land Cruiser Prado 120/150 series. I hear and understand the opinion that a split tailgate makes a Land Cruiser and you are entitled to that opinion, but the facts on the built and delivered Land Cruiser variants don't align.

Which Cruiser you like or buy always comes down to personal preference in any case
This is news to me. I had know idea the Prado “GX” are a real Land Cruiser. I stand corrected. :hmm:In the grand scheme of it, it doesn’t really matter but the Prado and full size Land Cruiser are not in the same league.

Last edited:
appreciate your opinion. we own both the GX470 and a 100 series so I can see with my eyes and the repair manual the same engine

Great, but I was referring to the 460. I've owned two of them and two 200 Series as well, this is more than just conjecture.

Great, but I was referring to the 460. I've owned two of them and two 200 Series as well, this is more than just conjecture.
obviously we were discussing two different GX's

It isn't common you are correct, but neither is the 70 series.

Like you said, it does provide a nice option for an offroader. I am waiting to see what the Hybrid in 2024 will be. Although I am guessing it won't have near the towing power of my 200series which is important for towing my Kimberley. The only other vehicle besides the LX600 coming out that can do that is the new Sequoia. From what I read, it shares much of the drive train with the new 300 series and Tundra and has gone to a solid rear axle. I am not saying that is a Land Cruiser.

Like you said, it does provide a nice option for an offroader. I am waiting to see what the Hybrid in 2024 will be. Although I am guessing it won't have near the towing power of my 200series which is important for towing my Kimberley. The only other vehicle besides the LX600 coming out that can do that is the new Sequoia. From what I read, it shares much of the drive train with the new 300 series and Tundra and has gone to a solid rear axle. I am not saying that is a Land Cruiser.
The new Sequoia does look promising. Did they shrink the size a little? Whatever they did, a TRD version will be a nice edition and it doesn’t look at bloated as previous version from the images I’ve seen. I’m also looking forward to the new GX.

Yes, I was originally referring to how you pointed out that the GX470 shared drivetrain with the 100 Series, it was not the same with the GX460 and 200 Series.

I too am hopeful that the GX550 will be everything that they are touting and that we are all hoping for but that likely won't be known until late winter/early spring of next year. The Sequoia wins us over in every way but the awful cargo shelf situation. We were on the list for one but for now we are going to let them come out and avoid the madness of the masses who will be after them this fall/winter. In the next 2-3 years we will sort out and know if the new LX, GX, or Sequoia will be right for us as an additional vehicle alongside of our 200 and 460.

Last edited:
I keep forgetting that the GX470 has the 2UZ in the US. Globally the Prado shares the Hilux diesel engines, the 4.0 1GR petrol and some weird stuff in China. But the axles, chassis, etc is still a different and much more lightweight platform.

Agreed. Even though the Prado is marketed as a Land Cruiser, nobody really considers it that way. The 70 series is also called a Land Cruiser, but drives more like a peppy farm truck from the 80s. 200 and 300 series are miles ahead in refinement.

I have the 4.0 v6 Prado as a company vehicle. It shares the same platform as my 4Runner.

Also drives like a heavier 4Runner due to full time 4WD, 150 liter fuel tank, and 3rd row. The lower 1st gear on the 6 speed helps mitigate the drive a bit vs the 5 speed on the 4runner.

The Toyota Fortunner is closer to the Hilux.

It’s not that much smaller. I have zero issues with it but have only had it for a short while. Have watched videos of a 300 crossing the Simpson desert and doing the old telegraph track and a lot more with no problems. Seems like it’s not flimsy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom