300 series vs 200 series, first impression (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What do you mean? 300s have barely been out and one of the first accidents and it split at the seam.

I remember why I bought my 200, a mudder described having an iaed explode under them in Iraq splitting the 200 in 2 but everyone surviving and both parts traveling out of harms way. That came from Toyotas philosophy of overdoing everything. In order to improve mpg they switched philosophies of shrinking and making parts lighter including the hood. I remember my 100 hood flexing in high winds, very irritating. I like jumping and thrashing my 200 so I know how bomb proof it is. It doesnt sound like the 300 will be better at landing after high jumps. It might be better at taking off. They are already recallingj300 land cruisers due to faulty axles splitting apart.
I would not expect that accident is one of the first. I bet hundreds have been wrecked and I am not even considering all the 300s from Ukraine that have been destroyed in combat. That is a fluke if even real.

I am excited to someday drive a 300 Series Lexus LX but have no idea when the dealer will have one available for demo. Until then I have 10 months before the end of my lease on my current LX570. As it stands now, I will be keeping the 570 at the end of the lease. The residual is much less than it’s projected value at lease-end while (of course) the 600 has gone up a few more thousand dollars (though maybe not as much as I would have guessed). I would have to buy the Luxury version + AHC option to get a vehicle w same equipment as I have now. I don’t miss Apple Play and am increasingly concerned over the way Apple is using it gain more control over the vehicles offering it (how do the rest of you feel?). I fear that after 5 years or so they could end support or change the technical requirements so older vehicles won’t be compatible. I do prefer my tailgate arrangement VS the LX600 and also like my interior design better but don’t see either as a deal breaker. I am sure the new 300 series is technically better in every way but think I will give it a few years (maybe until the first face lift) and see what happens. Pic is new LX600 w my LX570. Think both of them look nice.
12D05486-A2F1-48B5-B1FE-325AC6191ABD.jpeg

I am excited to someday drive a 300 Series Lexus LX but have no idea when the dealer will have one available for demo. Until then I have 10 months before the end of my lease on my current LX570. As it stands now, I will be keeping the 570 at the end of the lease. The residual is much less than it’s projected value at lease-end while (of course) the 600 has gone up a few more thousand dollars (though maybe not as much as I would have guessed). I would have to buy the Luxury version + AHC option to get a vehicle w same equipment as I have now. I don’t miss Apple Play and am increasingly concerned over the way Apple is using it gain more control over the vehicles offering it (how do the rest of you feel?). I fear that after 5 years or so they could end support or change the technical requirements so older vehicles won’t be compatible. I do prefer my tailgate arrangement VS the LX600 and also like my interior design better but don’t see either as a deal breaker. I am sure the new 300 series is technically better in every way but think I will give it a few years (maybe until the first face lift) and see what happens. Pic is new LX600 w my LX570. Think both of them look nice. View attachment 3079270.
Is that new Gillette razor on the Lx600 🤣

F Sport grille or the black out on the Premium Plus are the only way to go imho, the standard grille and top trim are awful.

Everyone wants to hate the new thing. The 200 has not been an impressive package for many years now (plus it's unattractive, but that's just my opinion), the 300 was long overdue.

The biggest disappointment is we aren't getting an LC version in the US, not the total package.

Toyota was benchmarking the 80 series for this platform. Did someone give them a chinese replica? what is this?
But how do you really feel?
Companies like Toyota are 'optimizing' (i.e. reducing) costs with different approaches such as shared components (the TNGA platform) that underpins everything from a cheap Yaris all the way to the LC300, there is bound to be sacrifices vs a purpose designed chassis.

In the drivetrain side, the engine for example, has to comply with multi-region regulations even though they don't exist in every region. Hence you find another point of sacrifice (i.e. overkill emissions systems that add cost and promotes carbon buildup in modern engines, boosted smaller displacement engines that have more complex/ expensive bits, needs better fuel quality, and higher long term maintenance bills...etc.).

Point is: The global squeeze in emissions and gas mileage cannot be avoided and the bill is ultimately passed on to the consumer whether they like it or not. Even for places with loose regulations such as Russia and the Middle East.
All the bolded is misleading. TGNA-F is for body on frame vehicles only. TGNA as an architecture is a standard which applies to most ew Toyota vehicles since 2015 so shared parts can be used. A real example of this that isn't hyperbole is that it used a universal seat height so Toyota has the opportunity to share interior components. TGNA-F was built around the 300 series first, its being modified for the other vehicles, not vice versa.

Toyota has been using dual injection... Direct and port for years. There is no issue with carbon build up.

Everyone wants to hate the new thing. The 200 has not been an impressive package for many years now (plus it's unattractive, but that's just my opinion), the 300 was long overdue.

The biggest disappointment is we aren't getting an LC version in the US, not the total package.

But how do you really feel?

All the bolded is misleading. TGNA-F is for body on frame vehicles only. TGNA as an architecture is a standard which applies to most ew Toyota vehicles since 2015 so shared parts can be used. A real example of this that isn't hyperbole is that it used a universal seat height so Toyota has the opportunity to share interior components. TGNA-F was built around the 300 series first, its being modified for the other vehicles, not vice versa.

Toyota has been using dual injection... Direct and port for years. There is no issue with carbon build up.

You're really not missing anything with the "LC" variant. So don't be disappointed.

I don't hate it actually. It's material that's held in with glue and bolts. Why would I hate it?

As an enthusiast, I'm not happy with the direction the manufacturer is taking the name plate. The 300 is not a rugged or heavy duty vehicle that we are used to get from Toyota. They are getting softer and softer. So for us who want these things to survive as long as we can exist, it's a disappointment.

On the bright side, these newer vehicles are making our old ones even more desirable. I purchased my second 80 series and restored it.

I can trust these 30 year old + vehicles much more than the 300 series. And I'm sure many of us have a similar opinion.

If you strip the 300 from the name plate, its actually a good car for the street/highway. Its already at every mall here in Saudi.

But it's not a Land Cruiser and those who drove it, know what I mean.

I do hope that Toyota does what Jeep did for the JK and JL. They kept it true to its roots and offered other models to go to the mall.

As an enthusiast, I'm not happy with the direction the manufacturer is taking the name plate. The 300 is not a rugged or heavy duty vehicle that we are used to get from Toyota. They are getting softer and softer. So for us who want these things to survive as long as we can exist, it's a disappointment.

I can trust these 30 year old + vehicles much more than the 300 series. And I'm sure many of us have a similar opinion.
Speculation and hyperbole IMO.

I don't see much "softer" about the 300 than the 200.

We won't know for years about long term reliability.

Well we know that the new frame is stronger and lighter. I believe we all have our concerns, reservations and biases in regards to the power plant and that's to be expected. The 200 Series is the last of the rather simple and rugged engines to some degree.

Not true. The 300 is already shown to be "softer" in holding up to our extreme conditions. I can tell you from the minority who have pushed the 300 hard off-road already found the platform's limits... A few examples:

The turbo V35A engine heats up fast (commonly reported cases), and sometimes overheats entirely where the owners had to stop the vehicle.

The 9-speed transmission had harsh snappy upshifts after hard driving (not a common issue, undecided if it is overheating or due to a programming fault).

The 300 vehicle body panels/ side steps are much "softer" and easier to bend/damage than any of the previous cruisers, including the 200 series.

The 300 fuel range is less than the 200 series no matter how you drive it (due to smaller fuel tank). I have confirmed this fact in my own testing.

We're still talking about new, stock weight vehicles. Adding mod weights and age will not improve the 300's odds.

Purely my own speculation from experience in turbo vehicles: I can't see how a complex, electronic wastegate twin turbo 3.5 pushing a high power 4x4 in extreme dust/ heat environment reliably outlasting a simpler, under-stressed, naturally aspirated 5.7 v8. Add to the equation inconsistent fuel quality in some areas + less than ideal owners maintenance regimen, and the gap widens unfavorably for the boosted engine.

In summary, I agree the 300 is better than the 200 as a modern vehicle in many aspects, but I'm not convinced it is a better "Land Cruiser". Not yet at least.

If it doesn’t have a split gate, it’s not a real Cruiser. :slap:

Not true. The 300 is already shown to be "softer" in holding up to our extreme conditions. I can tell you from the minority who have pushed the 300 hard off-road already found the platform's limits... A few examples:

The turbo V35A engine heats up fast (commonly reported cases), and sometimes overheats entirely where the owners had to stop the vehicle.

The 9-speed transmission had harsh snappy upshifts after hard driving (not a common issue, undecided if it is overheating or due to a programming fault).

The 300 vehicle body panels/ side steps are much "softer" and easier to bend/damage than any of the previous cruisers, including the 200 series.

The 300 fuel range is less than the 200 series no matter how you drive it (due to smaller fuel tank). I have confirmed this fact in my own testing.

We're still talking about new, stock weight vehicles. Adding mod weights and age will not improve the 300's odds.

Purely my own speculation from experience in turbo vehicles: I can't see how a complex, electronic wastegate twin turbo 3.5 pushing a high power 4x4 in extreme dust/ heat environment reliably outlasting a simpler, under-stressed, naturally aspirated 5.7 v8. Add to the equation inconsistent fuel quality in some areas + less than ideal owners maintenance regimen, and the gap widens unfavorably for the boosted engine.

In summary, I agree the 300 is better than the 200 as a modern vehicle in many aspects, but I'm not convinced it is a better "Land Cruiser". Not yet at least.
Well, sounds like more hyperbole and speculation to me - but I am not surprised as that is what 95% of this thread is.

- I have followed this and the Tundra fairly closely, as I am going to buy a TGNA-F vehicle, just not sure what yet. I do not see widespread issues with overheating by any means.
- It has a 10 speed transmission bud :rofl: By all accounts its much better than Toyota's 8 speed and there are very few issues reported so far.
- Hyperbole
- Yeah you're full it. Math is easy and the 300 will have similar or better range - in the real world it should easily be better unless you drive like an idiot, as the 3UR sucks down gas unless you baby the hell out of it... and even then its not good.
- Your entire post is speculation, you didn't have to single out this part about the engine.

Lol. I love the tailgate as well. But it won't stop me from buying something.

Although I am not a person who LOVES technology and every new thing that comes out, I am also not a luddite. Time moves on.
Nah, tailgate or nothin’ for me. I hate and I mean hate full hatch openings for my use. The tailgate gets a lot of use from changing my ski boots, biking shoes, quick lunch breaks while traveling with family or friends in the woods or non-stop road trips. Technology has nothing to do with a vehicle getting a tailgate or not, it’s just Toyota cutting costs. Single hatch openings are much cheaper to manufacture. I love the tailgate so much, that we no longer buy Mercs and stick with X7. A smaller fuel tank is not what I call advancement either. Now if they made it a hybrid with the smaller tank, I guess I can see the reasoning.

Nah, tailgate or nothin’ for me. I hate and I mean hate full hatch openings for my use. The tailgate gets a lot of use from changing my ski boots, biking shoes, quick lunch breaks while traveling with family or friends in the woods or non-stop road trips. Technology has nothing to do with a vehicle getting a tailgate or not, it’s just Toyota cutting costs. Single hatch openings are much cheaper to manufacture. I love the tailgate so much, that we no longer buy Mercs and stick with X7. A smaller fuel tank is not what I call advancement either. Now if they made it a hybrid with the smaller tank, I guess I can see the reasoning.

Off topic, but since you brought it up - the X7 is a horrible vehicle - so choosing that just so you can get a tailgate is hilarious. And Toyota's goal was to have the same range. Its in all the marketing materials and interviews. MPG x fuel capacity = range. This shouldn't be something I have to explain to people that can afford a new 300 series.

Second off, dude I don't care about your love affair with tailgates and that its one of the single most important things you look for when buying a vehicle. You made your point initially, lol. Why when a new vehicle comes out does every owner of the previous generation think the new subforum is a place for them to wax poetically about their previous gen? Same damn thing is happening on the 3rd gen Tundra forums. Go to the 200 series sub and start a thread about how fantastic the 200's tailgate is.

Last edited:
:steer:Off topic, but since you brought it up - the X7 is a horrible vehicle - so choosing that just so you can get a tailgate is hilarious. And Toyota's goal was to have the same range. Its in all the marketing materials and interviews. MPG x fuel capacity = range. This shouldn't be something I have to explain to people that can afford a new 300 series.

Second off, dude I don't care about your love affair with tailgates and that its one of the single most important things you look for when buying a vehicle. You made your point initially, lol. Why when a new vehicle comes out does every owner of the previous generation think the new subforum is a place for them to wax poetically about their previous gen? Same damn thing is happening on the 3rd gen Tundra forums. Go to the 200 series sub and start a thread about how fantastic the 200's tailgate is.
Yikes, someone is all twisted in a knot. Not sure how the X7 is horrible. We bought a 2020 X7 40i in 2019 and drove it for 40k miles before selling it for 10k less then we paid for it just 6mo. ago. It was absolutely flawless and beyond comfortable. Insanely comfortable Full merino leather with massage seats, super quiet, and bower/Wilkins stereo was a treat on the long road trips. It was sporty enough and never wavered in downpour weather. Anyone who road in it, loved it. I didn’t necessarily buy the X7 or Land Cruiser based simply on a tailgate but it was definitely part of the equation. I’ve owned just about every brand of car from Bentley to a Geo Metro(my punishment car when I was 17) . I am not committed to any one brand but the Land Cruiser has always held a special place in my heart. I don’t hate the new 300 series and in fact like several things about it. However, it’s not so much better that I’d drop my 200 for it if opportunity struck and the great thing about my 200 and probably your 300, it will last for many years with good maintenance.

This forum is free of oppression to voice an opinion about vehicles in a sub form or not. Remember, we are on a car forum site. We all have nutty opinions. :slap: In case I forgot to mention earlier…I love tailgates:steer::p

Last edited:
I love the tailgate as well but short of the crappy Range Rover there isn’t anything else left with them here stateside. The only time I’ve been excited about the news of a lift gate is with the GX550 and that’s because they are finally ditching the swing gate.

I appreciate new technology but it is a double edged sword when it comes to more failure points, but that’s the new standard so you get on board or you buy used vehicles in that regard. Apple Car Play is nice to have.

We are still torn on the LX600, it just didn’t wow us for $105K, but like most things it’ll likely grow on us in the coming years.

Yikes, someone is all twisted in a knot. Not sure how the X7 is horrible. We bought a 2020 X7 40i in 2019 and drove it for 40k miles before selling it for 10k less then we paid for it just 6mo. ago. It was absolutely flawless and beyond comfortable. Insanely comfortable Full merino leather with massage seats, super quiet, and bower/Wilkins stereo was a treat on the long road trips. It was sporty enough and never wavered in downpour weather. Anyone who road in it, loved it. I didn’t necessarily buy the X7 or Land Cruiser based simply on a tailgate but it was definitely part of the equation. I’ve owned just about every brand of car from Bentley to a Geo Metro(my punishment car when I was 17) . I am not committed to any one brand but the Land Cruiser has always held a special place in my heart. I don’t hate the new 300 series and in fact like several things about it. However, it’s not so much better that I’d drop my 200 for it if opportunity struck and the great thing about my 200 and probably your 300, it will last for many years with good maintenance.

This forum is free of oppression to voice an opinion about vehicles in a sub form or not. Remember, we are on a car forum site. We all have nutty opinions. :slap: In case I forgot to mention earlier…I lover tailgates:steer::p

Twisted in a knot is not equivalent to pointing out the obvious, IMO - which is that this thread is full of 200 series owners waxing poetically about their 200 and making broad conclusions without very much information.

Haha, the fact the used car market went way up and therefore you sold your X7 for a good number is not representative of BMW's current product offerings, but fair point, especially when owning them for 2-3 years.

I love the tailgate as well but short of the crappy Range Rover there isn’t anything else left with them here stateside. The only time I’ve been excited about the news of a lift gate is with the GX550 and that’s because they are finally ditching the swing gate.

I appreciate new technology but it is a double edged sword when it comes to more failure points, but that’s the new standard so you get on board or you buy used vehicles in that regard. Apple Car Play is nice to have.

We are still torn on the LX600, it just didn’t wow us for $105K, but like most things it’ll likely grow on us in the coming years.
Hey Tex, I wasn’t aware of the GX getting a lift gate. That’s good news as my wife always wanted a Gx but hated the barn door.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom