300 series revealed? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

One of the ironic things to me about Toyota body on frame SUVs such as the LC or 4Runner is that every single review starts by calling the ride a “dinosaur” and mentioning how long it’s been since it’s truly been updated and then proceeds to talk about how awesome it is, how great it feels to drive, etc. then they conclude with something about the infotainment not being as good as a Tesla or something and finish the article. But they all reference how great it is to drive the “old outdated technology.”

One of the ironic things to me about Toyota body on frame SUVs such as the LC or 4Runner is that every single review starts by calling the ride a “dinosaur” and mentioning how long it’s been since it’s truly been updated and then proceeds to talk about how awesome it is, how great it feels to drive, etc. then they conclude with something about the infotainment not being as good as a Tesla or something and finish the article. But they all reference how great it is to drive the “old outdated technology.”

Maybe it’s like good quality leather baseball glove. They can make material that’s sorta like it...cheaper...lighter...perhaps more durable.

But at some point you come back to leather because sometimes the first, most basic concepts keep making sense and best—no matter what new stuff comes along.

All that said...with the leather comparison in mind...I’m pretty sure Toyota gets their leather seats from plastic cows. ;)

Last edited:
The FJ Company makes nice stuff. Not 200k nice, but nice.
This guy they built is the background on my work computer.
Pretty much perfect (aside from the leaf springs:D).
The owner is on here somewheres.

image_5a86d205d4c5e_1992-HZJ75-0008063-White-BWQ-367---Marc-Simpao-Studio-thumb.jpg

The FJ Company makes nice stuff. Not 200k nice, but nice.
This guy they built is the background on my work computer.
Pretty much perfect (aside from the leaf springs:D).
The owner is on here somewheres.

image_5a86d205d4c5e_1992-HZJ75-0008063-White-BWQ-367---Marc-Simpao-Studio-thumb.jpg
I saw a video of that truck being built. Wow, very nice work.

Personally, though, I'd want coil springs and I'd ditch the rear jump seats.

I saw a video of that truck being built. Wow, very nice work.

Personally, though, I'd want coil springs and I'd ditch the rear jump seats.

Same here, that's what I'm doing too :D
But, from the factory, HD 70s weren't available with front coils until '99 (they got, and now have, basically a 105 series front suspension which is basically 80 series stuff) and rears are still leaf sprung to this day in all HD 70 series.

And it still has the narrower rear track than the front. I wonder if they corrected that on this truck.

Will anyone ever offer a retro version of 300...?

Introducing the G40 by The FJ Company

--

While I think maybe you got the link wrong, I was surprised to see this video was shot in my hood. The walk around shots are at one of my fishing holes, the grass ridge elevation shots are directly above my house, and that Boulder City trail is about 20 minutes from work. Great film, RAD CRUISER! I can't believe I've never seen it around town.

The 300 should be something like this in an SUV format. But we’ll probably have to wait on the 400...

This Lone Rivian R1T Electric Truck Video Shows All

This is what the future will eventually look like for most vehicles, including the Land Cruiser.

If they can do 400+ miles now...
...then the batteries of the not-so-distant future will do twice that.
At 800 miles...?
-All notions of getting marooned on some mountain for lack of a charge station fly out the window...and you can truly EXPLORE.

I just don't think it will happen for at least another decade and probably won't be in my price range for yet another decade after that.
**But who knows?**
When it does happen...I hope I'm still mobile enough...and my wallet is fat enough to actually enjoy one.

Perhaps the LC 400... ;)
Until then...it's my trusty V8 gas guzzler with 24 gallon sub-tank. :steer:

This is what the future will eventually look like for most vehicles, including the Land Cruiser.

If they can do 400+ miles now...
...then the batteries of the not-so-distant future will do twice that.
At 800 miles...?
-All notions of getting marooned on some mountain for lack of a charge station fly out the window...and you can truly EXPLORE.

I just don't think it will happen for at least another decade and probably won't be in my price range for yet another decade after that.
**But who knows?**
When it does happen...I hope I'm still mobile enough...and my wallet is fat enough to actually enjoy one.

Perhaps the LC 400... ;)
Until then...it's my trusty V8 gas guzzler with 24 gallon sub-tank. :steer:
I agree it will be the future at some point. And EV range isn’t all that straight forward. On our 2nd Tesla for my wife (S and now 3). Think of the range like EPA rated MPG but really what you look at is Wh per mile. And the only time I see close the the Wh/mi I need to achieve to get the rated range is 55-60 mph on a flat highway without running the heat or AC. The Tesla loses about ~20-30% range in the cold due to running the heat. And towing, I have a buddy with an X that tows an rPod he loses about 60% when towing. I guess what I’m getting at is the electric motor is so efficient and there is little drivetrain power loss that any extra load is greatly noticed in the range so off-roading and overlanding I would expect at least a 30-50% loss in range so with 400 miles you are probably looking at more like 150-200 off road or towing. But I will admit the expected performance of a 4 motor off road rig with instant and near endless torque and no air intake should make for pretty amazing capabilities.

But really at this point I think lack of a real supercharger network is more of a limitation then battery range. The only place I can charge away from home in Alaska is RV parks (slow). I think the game changer is if the EV semi takes off. That should then greatly increase the supercharging network.

Question about the Tesla I was wondering: what happens if you ignore the low battery warnings (or mess up on the estimate on your trip length, whatever), and the battery runs out in the middle of BFE and you're not within reasonable range of a charging station, or even any power? Is it a tow back, or is there a way to do a "jump charge"? With a ICE car, you just go get a gallon can of gas.

It's this type of thought process that makes people afraid of them, I think. I finally saw a couple of them the other day, but otherwise they are very rare around here due to the lack of supercharging stations.

I’ve heard if you run it low enough....not sure if what you described constitutes that...but it can brick and needs to go in for service.

Question about the Tesla I was wondering: what happens if you ignore the low battery warnings (or mess up on the estimate on your trip length, whatever), and the battery runs out in the middle of BFE and you're not within reasonable range of a charging station, or even any power? Is it a tow back, or is there a way to do a "jump charge"? With a ICE car, you just go get a gallon can of gas.

It's this type of thought process that makes people afraid of them, I think. I finally saw a couple of them the other day, but otherwise they are very rare around here due to the lack of supercharging stations.
There is a process in the UM to jump charge although I’ve never had to do it. I drive the LX the vast majority of the time. But the times my wife has been deployed I drive the Tesla.

The thing that is hard to understand until you drive one for a while is unless you are taking a long trip you never need to charge. Since you charge at home Imagine starting every day with 3/4 tank. How often would you need to stop and get fuel before you got home? I will say the only time we drive >200 miles in a day is durring the summer when pulling the camper so we’ve never charged the tesla(s) anywhere other then home in 5 years.

And we don’t have any super chargers in Alaska. The people that drive them far up here charge at RV sites. It’s slow. Like 30-40 miles gain per hour connected. 110 outlet is 2-4 miles gained per hour connected. For a while my wife plugged into 110 at work but feels like it isn’t worth her time to do so.

There is no way I would only own an EV (or EVs) at this point in time but the LX Tesla combo works for us. We drive the Tesla in town and the LX our of town.

Guess we can stop speculating on what the next version will be... :deadhorse::rolleyes:

The Toyota Land Cruiser is on life support

I object to many of the thoughts about the LC compared to other SUVs listed in this article...and the comparisons to other autos. In fact, I've owned a suburban, currently own a Highlander and myriad other suvs, and without a single doubt, this is the best blend of space, utility, comfort, style of any vehicle I've owned. We are a family of five and have traveled more than 4,000 miles together this year alone in my LC. Not ONE single complaint from a 13, 11 and 8 year old...or my wife about noise, comfort, space, technology. It's safe, it's reliable and in all of those 4,000 miles, I've only seen 2 others...which I love (and realize is part of the "problem").

The LC to me is for a different person, much like certain sports cars, etc. It's not trying to be a suburban and it's not trying to be a Jeep. Why can't it simply be an LC? (rhetorical question)

IMO, there are some people, mostly those here and a few in other places, who also see and value a different quality product.

I hope Toyota sees the value and keeps the brand. Losing the LC is a metaphor for a lot in society...sacrifice a quality product because what's good about it isn't easily seen buy a consumer...I get it, companies are in business to make money...but I'd like to see Toyota spend some money trying to appeal to a broader audience than kill it. Honestly, if you can pay $76k for a friggin Chevy, spend an extra couple grand and get a car that won't be a rattle-trap in 25,000 miles.

Rant over. :bang:

The last post and comments on the article really hit the nail on the head.

One thing not mentioned yet, when you consider maintenance cost/reliability, longer lifecycle, and resale versus competition it’s really not that much more expensive. In fact it’s probably a bargain. Consumers in the US can’t or won’t pay for quality up front or can’t grasp that value proposition. Another symptom of a throwaway society.

I’d like to see 70 series, diesels, and lower spec 200s available....but that’s mostly for selfish reasons.

Honestly, with the popularity of $50k+ Rubicons and TRD Pro 4Runners (and their base models) and overlanding at the moment there really couldn’t be a better time to bring those to the US. Still won’t happen but hope I’m wrong.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom