300 series at least two years away (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Threads
Toyota LandCruiser 300 Series at least two years away - Drive

Dear Toyoda,

Please bring the 300 series to the USA...

Sure we would love a turbo diesel, but we all know that's not going to happen...

A twin turbo V-6 from the Lexus LS series might be tough at first to deal with for those of us in the states... WE LOVE V-8's!!!

I understand the V-6 is supposed to get better gas mileage, but is it worth the change for 2-3 MPG in theory on a less than 5,000 unit per year vehicle for the EPA CAFE game??? We are talking low impact from a low volume vehicle when compared to the overall Toyoda fleet EPA CAFE score, you sell enough Yaris' to offset the new 300 series with big V-8's.

Put the V-6 twin turbos in Mike Swears Tundra's for EPA CAFE fleet number and leave the new 300 with the only way to get a Toyoda truck V-8.

Thank you for your time,

Jeff

A future 300 series owner!!!

They'll put the turbo v6 in the Tundra and Sequoia before it goes into the Cruiser to introduce it to the US Market, I think. Otherwise it would be a tough supply chain problem and maintenance training issue. You'll know its headed for the Cruiser if it shows up there...

Out of curiosity, what would be some good factory additions (besides design refresh) would you guys want out of a 300? Other than CarPlay and a better camera I don’t know since I’m new to the LC world.

Oh boy here we go again. Just from the first page of search results.

If that’s not enough, I could also check the second page of search results.

Oh boy here we go again. Just from the first page of search results.

If that’s not enough, I could also check the second page of search results.

What I learned:

"300 series revealed" in 2017 (question mark added in 2019)

and these awesome paper sketches of what the 300 should look like:

Interesting that the 200 series is on track to be the longest production run of any land cruiser model other than the 70 series.

TFL Truck just posted an interesting youtube about the ALL NEW Tundra and it power train from a "source"... Interesting... gossip... from someone who might know something???

The V-8 is bye bye… according to their "source"...

Who knows???

Toyota is a lot smarter than I am but I think they’ll end up regretting that decision.

What about this sketch of a long wheel base version Toyota Land Cruiser Stretches Out In Long-Wheelbase Rendering. Do you think Toyota would ever make a long wheel based 300?
No. The wheelbase for the Land Cruiser has been about the same:
50 - 106.3”
60 - 107.5”
80 - 112.2”
100 - 112.2”
200 - 112.2”

A longer wheelbase would hurt breakover.

They have the Sequoia for a longer wheelbase (118.1” 1st gen, 122.0” 2nd gen).

I guess a 200 extended wheel base already exists Toyota Land Cruiser 200 Extended Wheelbase - Trasco-Bremen

Maybe an extended wheel base LX as an option would sell since Lexus doesn't have a Sequoia based version. You would get the awd, off-road capability, larger cargo, fancy suspension, and a good tow rig.

Last edited:
Toyota is a lot smarter than I am but I think they’ll end up regretting that decision.

People said the same thing about Ford and the EcoBoost engines — that pickup drivers are conservative and would stick to the V8. Ford still offers the V8 in the F-150, but sales of the EcoBoost vastly outnumber the V8.

I like the 5.7 V8 in my LC, but the reality is that fuel economy in the LC and Tundra fuel economy is horrifically bad. Toyota needs to improve fuel economy in the Tundra to be competitive with the competition. I love the noise of the V8, but I would give that up if I could get 17 mpg in the city rather than 12-13.

And turning circle. I absolutely would not want a longer wheelbase.

Ya...As it is now, I’m honestly amazed at the very decent turning radius of the LC, and was commenting on it just this afternoon when whipping a tight u-turn in the Laguna mountains...

But I agree that I wouldn’t want a longer wheelbase.

On the other hand...if they lengthened a 570 juuuust long enough to expand the non-existent cargo space behind the 3rd row for families? I think a 570XL would have sold like hot-cakes!

Last edited:
People said the same thing about Ford and the EcoBoost engines — that pickup drivers are conservative and would stick to the V8. Ford still offers the V8 in the F-150, but sales of the EcoBoost vastly outnumber the V8.

I like the 5.7 V8 in my LC, but the reality is that fuel economy in the LC and Tundra fuel economy is horrifically bad. Toyota needs to improve fuel economy in the Tundra to be competitive with the competition. I love the noise of the V8, but I would give that up if I could get 17 mpg in the city rather than 12-13.

Having sold a bunch isn’t necessarily a sign of success. I personally know three people that “will never buy another ford” due to their eco boost f-150 experience. Btw two of them now own tundras and absolutely love them.

I’m not saying don’t develop the TTV6. I’m saying eliminating the v8 as an option is a mistake, given how people use their tundras (and to a much smaller extent landcruisers/LXes).

Not to mention the mileage advantage evaporating or even getting worse when loaded. People on here thinking their armored/lifted/heavy/big tire landcruiser that gets 8mpg now is going to do any better with 450hp worth of boost on the freeway are smoking something. A stock vehicle? Sure. But that’s not what many here drive.

Edit: AND, that the TTV6 doesn't fit the formula of what has made the 3UR and its relatives so successful, despite the poor mileage. Larger displacement relatively conservative low-stress (aka durable/reliable) design. Perfect for a cruiser.

Last edited:
Maybe the 300 gets a derivative of the 5.0 from the LC500 instead of the twin turbo 3.5 from the LS500. The 3.5 tt makes 442 ft/lbs at 1,600 rpm which is pretty sweet. However I would still take the 5.0 and I bet with the 10 speed and tuned for more torque than the LC500 it would move the 300 pretty good.

It’s funny you say that. I’m honestly amazed at the very decent turning radius of the LC, and was commenting on it just this afternoon when whipping a tight u-turn in the Laguna mountains...

That’s because of the short wheelbase. It makes the LC much easier to drive in tight confines. The LC wheelbase (and turning circle) is considerably shorter than the 4-door Wrangler. I realize the Wrangler has better angles.

While Toyota might preserve the V8 as an engine option in the Tundra, I seriously doubt they will offer more than one engine in the LC. They only sell 3k Land Cruisers per year in the US. The cost to federalize a second engine is prohibitive.

As for the EcoBoost, Ford sells more EcoBoost engines in the US in one hour than Toyota sells Land Cruisers in a year. We don’t know the actual reliability and durability of the EcoBoost engines. Certainly there were issues in the early years. When you sell 500k trucks per year, there will always be horror stories. Remember the stories about Toyota V6 engines and carbon buildup?

None of the domestics match Toyota reliability, but Consumer Reports is not showing reliability issues for the F-150 engines. Furthermore, Toyota has been building turbo diesel engines for other markets for decades. Toyota knows how to build reliable turbocharged engines.

Finally, if the Ford EcoBoost engine is as bad as you claim, buyers would be buying the F-150 with the V8 instead. But they aren’t. The largest selling F-150 engine is the 2.7 V6 EcoBoost. The second largest is the 3.5 V6 EcoBoost. Together, the EcoBoost engines account for 60% of F150 sales. The V8 accounts for less than 25%.

The EcoBoost engines absolutely are a success and I’m sure that Toyota can build a better turbocharged engine than Ford.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom