3 speed to transfer case mating issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
It's been a while but I've finally got to rebuilding the t-case on my 69 piggie. Tore it apart and found out that the idler shaft bearings "ate thier pigs". I got a rebuild kit from Cruiser Outfitters and Kurt was awesome to do business with. The rebuild itself went really well and the kit is very complete with everything needed. Idler gear shims were the only issue I had. Problem is now that I got it rebuilt, I'm trying to install it and am having issues. I got it hoisted up and got the input gear and pto gear on carefully to preserve the seal between the t-case and transmission. I got the t-case to trans bolts started up and was tightening them but about an eight inch to where they would mate up I hit a wall and the t-case won't pull any closer to the trans. The trans seems to have a snap ring on the rear support. I don't know what I'm missing but if anyone has any words of wisdom I'd appreciate the help.

Is this going back onto the same tranny as before?

It is that's what makes it frustrating. Also the input gear and pto gear have clearance to slide on the output shaft of the trans so thats not the hold up. It's definately something with the case.:mad:

The only thing I can think of is perhaps the bearings are coming out of the tranny a little and holding the transfer case away from the tranny.

Just mated a three speed transfer to a four speed transmission a couple weeks ago. I had a some problems gettting the shaft to slide thought the bearing. with a little tap from the rubber hammer it went far enough to get the bolts started. I talked to a few friends and they suggested leaving the bearing out on the transfer and slide the shaft though the gears. Then tap the bearing into place. Might see if thats the hold up or wrong bearing to. Good luck

Cruiser Guy I'm thinking you are right. I can't get the rear bearing back all the way tho the snap ring. I tried to turn the output shaft to see if that would get it to slide back into the trans with no luck. Any suggestions?:confused:

Just an update. Pulled the top cover off the transmission to see what the hold up was on the rear bearing not sliding back into the trans. Found out that when I tried to tighten the transfer case up it must have tried to push the rear transmission bearing in while the bronze syncro wasn't meshed. It must have pulled out some when I removed the t-case. I didn't notice it when re-installing the t-case. Needless to say it's toast. Have a lead on a used 4 speed but would miss the nostalgia of the 3 on the tree. What to do...what to do?

I have a 3 speed from my 72 FJ40 that needs a home. Where are you located? I am in SF Bay area (East Bay)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom