3 Speed to 3F? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone ever ran a 3 speed behind a 3F? Considering it for my 45V. Trying not to modify too much. The 3F bolts in, no problem. I could run a 4 speed but the trans hump would need modified i would think. Hoping the 3 speed would do the job? Thanks

Man. I struggled with keeping my 3 speed with my 2F project but in the end it’s just such a crappy transmission to drive that it’s a goner.
ha ha .. thanks for your honest input. So now i might be on the slippery slope.. install the 4 speed or go straight to the 5 speed? Hopefully 4 speed can go in with minor mods? any tips on what to look out for from 3 to 4 speed? thanks

It can be done with minimal change but it’s no small job. I’m a huge fan of the 4 speed....especially in a 40/45 since that’s not really something I want to take on the longest of trips.

Get the bellhousing when you get the 4 speed and you can hang it all off the back of the stock motor mounts.

I’m doing one right now but I’m doing a 4speed and split case which is a bit more involved

thanks for that. i dont have a bell, will have to hunt one up. are you posting up any of your split case conversion? i have an A440 here with a split case on it; heard the auto ones are better?

thanks for that. i dont have a bell, will have to hunt one up. are you posting up any of your split case conversion? i have an A440 here with a split case on it; heard the auto ones are better?

Yeah. The parts to rebuild that and mate it to a manual is about $600.

Look in this forum. Goat thread.

Get the rear 4spd motor mounts with the bellhousing. It will move the slave to the pass side. You can retain the dash shifter with some creative linkage. 4spd flywheel and clutch are better, which will require 4spd throw out collar and 4spd fork. Either keep all 3spd clutch and fork and pivot or go all 4 spd . When your there a minor trim on a rib is needed to clear the fork on the pass side

One reason I like the split case (other than the fact that it’s 100% quieter) is that I can lose all that hard to deal with rear motor mount stuff and use the 60 series crossmember

If the floor pan is the same as my 1970 FJ45 then I drove, then swapped: J30 to H41 one-piece to H41 split case. I remember it all [I think]. I definitely remember the gearbox whine, even after it was rebuilt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom